• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
who the f*ck is burton

1839101-resident_evil_1__barry_burton.jpg

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Yo
Yes, but did you not think he had lot more potential than willock? The way he passes to break down defence, the way he control the game, keeping possession. Be honest, how willock compares to him in these areas?

I would pick Cirjan, Cottrell, Matt Smith over willock any day.
You overlook Willock’s athleticism and mindset.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
saka, willock, amn, nketiah, nelson... what impresses is their versatility and ability to play different positions and submerge their ego, for the need of the team. It really bodes well for the future.

Papa Wengs legacy is not the stadium, it is the academy.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Rio doesn't wish us well. None of these players are Cesc or even Wilshere level atm even though I hope they become great integral players for us.

Who cares what that **** opines? The reek of old Leeds is all over his misguided opinions.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Not technically. But he covered for the board's failures and allowed the resultant mess be blamed on him.
I genuinely believe Wenger believed he could do it on a budget. He had (too much) faith in his players because they were his players.

If he'd asked for major signings I don't think anyone could have said no. I think he was such a romantic that for a long time he felt being successful buying big names would tarnish the legacy he'd built.

Things like honor respect and prestige were valued more than greed, silverware and fame.

This was all very convenient for the Kroenkes.

Id love to read his memoirs on this, but think he'll leave this earth a gentleman without a negative word of his time here.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
If he'd asked for major signings I don't think anyone could have said no.
During the time when they were still paying for the stadium it would have been really hard.
Still, even with constraints, he managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat every now and then.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yes, but did you not think he had lot more potential than willock? The way he passes to break down defence, the way he control the game, keeping possession. Be honest, how willock compares to him in these areas?

I would pick Cirjan, Cottrell, Matt Smith over willock any day.

No. Burton was a tidy and intelligent player but his potential is nowhere near Willock. He's only 3 years younger and has none of the physical attributes, and lacks Willock's dribbling and shooting ability. If we were giving Willock away I guarantee he'd end up somewhere better than Dynamo Zagreb reserves.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He doesn't rate athleticism and mindset. He wants a team of 11 Xavis and Iniestas despite the fact that we play in England and not Spain.
Even the big two in Spain are buying into athleticism, Valverde, FDJ, Vidal, and Sergi Roberto. The days of Xavi and Iniesta passing teams to death is over. Football is all about intensity now.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Even the big two in Spain are buying into athleticism, Valverde, FDJ, Vidal, and Sergi Roberto. The days of Xavi and Iniesta passing teams to death is over. Football is all about intensity now.
You are right. At least in the PL, intensity is more important now than before.

That’s why man city recruits top technical players but also demand them to be quick and decisive.

They train up their stamina for the intensity, They train up their tactical knowledge, giving them precise instructions on positioning and player movement. This helps on intensity and also the efficient use of this intensity.

But note that intensity is nothing without top technical ability. Or you will left with a bunch of brainless unskillful players playing boring dull unentertaining English hoof ball.

Of course, you really need to have both to be a top player. But if you could only have one of them, technical ability is much more important.

Another point worth noticing is that intensity is something that you can train up. But you can never train up a walcott into a Rondinho.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Rio doesn't wish us well. None of these players are Cesc or even Wilshere level atm even though I hope they become great integral players for us.

I think the overhyping of Wilshere on AM is unreal to be honest.

We've seen some outstanding, worldclass performances of Wilshere and everybody will highlight the match against Barcelona for obvious reasons, but he did not actually do much beyond that.

I understand the circumstances that led lo his mediocre career and I was with the fans back then that I once believed he'd dominate football for a decade.

Having said that, it all doesn't matter, if you did not pull it off - Wilshere had a waaay better team team around him that was able to win most games without him and despite seeing his ceiling, which was huge, he used to have mostly solid games yet nothing more.

Saka has had a breakthrough in the worst side, not necessarily player-wise, but balance-wise, with a toxic atmosphere, with stronger opponents, doing most of his stuff on his own at the age of 17.

Saka has no reason to hide from comparisons with Wilshere as a talent.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think the overhyping of Wilshere on AM is unreal to be honest.

We've seen some outstanding, worldclass performances of Wilshere and everybody will highlight the match against Barcelona for obvious reasons, but he did not actually do much beyond that.

I understand the circumstances that led lo his mediocre career and I was with the fans back then that I once believed he'd dominate football for a decade.

Having said that, it all doesn't matter, if you did not pull it off - Wilshere had a waaay better team team around him that was able to win most games without him and despite seeing his ceiling, which was huge, he used to have mostly solid games yet nothing more.

Saka has had a breakthrough in the worst side, not necessarily player-wise, but balance-wise, with a toxic atmosphere, with stronger opponents, doing most of his stuff on his own at the age of 17.

Saka has no reason to hide from comparisons with Wilshere as a talent.
Wilshere was too injured for me to get attached to and believe in long term. Saka and Martinelli aside, none of the other youth have really stepped up with an attitude of belonging in the first team. Wilshere debuted into a much better team and the pressure was on him not to be the weak link. Saka has had less pressure in a way as we are so poor, that all he's had to do is be error free. He's been so much more. Wenger's project youth was right but failed because we didn't supplement them with quality experience. I dont want is yo make the same mistake again with a group of youngsters who imo have even more promise than their predecessors.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wilshere was too injured for me to get attached to and believe in long term. Saka and Martinelli aside, none of the other youth have really stepped up with an attitude of belonging in the first team. Wilshere debuted into a much better team and the pressure was on him not to be the weak link. Saka has had less pressure in a way as we are so poor, that all he's had to do is be error free. He's been so much more. Wenger's project youth was right but failed because we didn't supplement them with quality experience. I dont want is yo make the same mistake again with a group of youngsters who imo have even more promise than their predecessors.

Jack was such a big what if...great first season, and even immediately after his injury, he had 2 good seasons...became a walking sick note after that though.

Was an outstanding talent though, don't think we have had one quite like him, though Saka has looked very promising, but wee Jack was special...

...everyone has praised it to death, but that's a ridiculous performance to put in against Barca...his first full year in first team football and he goes toe to toe with the best and looks like he belongs, amazing...wasn't a one off either, he was outstanding that whole season.

I agree with you that the pressure on him was immense really when he broke into the team...everyone was talking about Jack, ages before he became a starter...to come in to a better team and play that well, with that level of expectations, was highly impressive.

Love Saka, but as a nostalgia merchant I can't let everyone forget how good Wilshere was ;)

Think he gets a treated a little harshly, injuries are a ***** really...glad you brought him up in a positive way though.

Last edited:

Trofton

With saka though you’d want him to look up to someone as an idle in the team with youth you want to be able to take them out the team and see from the sidelines see someone better then them and learn the game. Who’s he got to learn from same goes for all our youth. Our under 21 squad is better than every player in our team accept Leno and Auba

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Fair enough and it get where your argument is coming from, but it's one you could probably put both ways as I do the other way around.

Personally think Wilshere was in a "feel-good" bubble with Wenger. It was actually one of the tools Wenger used to get the best our of the youngsters, he often acted like a father-figure, trusting, not making them pay for typical mistakes players have at such young age..
Sometimes this did not work out when the kid did not have the correct attitude and mentality for this kind of coaching.

I think Saka's situation has been way worse as we've seen a time at the club where everything was questioned, mocked, criticized etc.
There was no longer any player excluded from hatred for the broader base of our fans - any mistake could mean the fans wanted you gone.

Even more so, that Saka pretty much outperformed any other LB in terms of goal contribution.
Only special players create things on their own at this level - Wilshere had 10 players around him that could set him up, play 1-2's etc, but Saka had a whole team disjointed with 3-4 passes at a time being the highlight of a match.

But to reiterate, I loved Wilshere - but he's still valued too highly, some even think he's a legend for whatever reason.

I know countless players that did not even make it to professional level, but were probably more talented then most worldclass players, yet that's not now you measure their value.
It's all about consistence and contribution

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom