• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I get where you're coming from, but surely a guy like Arteta who's learned under Wenger and won titles with Pep knows a decent player when he sees one?

Maybe he does think Mari and Cedric will be good options, Cedric has a ton of PL evidence to look at and Arteta has worked with Mari before.

I'm just looking at the most likely way of reasoning. Let's hope the Luiz one is till the end of this season only.

Oh for sure he likes Mari. I don't doubt that at all, I'm personally not convinced especially if his attributes are right for the PL but Arteta knows him, he's left footed, tall, strong something which we lack presently. With Cedric maybe he just knows getting in a new RB won't be possible in the next transfer window and with AMN deciding he doesn't want to play there (in fact Arteta has said in the past he's a midfielder playing as a full-back) he might as well just keep him as it's better than nothing.

Like I don't think either are his ideals but I think knowing what he'll have in terms of funds for bringing in new transfers maybe he thinks these are just the best options in the circumstances.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I’m not that bothered about Mari and Cedric. Mari can turn out to be a decent rotation CB, haven’t seen enough of him to judge and Cedric is not a terrible choice for a back-up RB. I can even somewhat understand Ceballos because he has a lot of talent, although atm it seems he’s not at all suitable for PL. But he is relatively young so I get it if Arteta believes he can mold Ceballos into something good, especially given that he has some similarities to Arteta himself as a player. But if Luiz gets an extension, after all the **** ups, absolutely ridiculous **** ups, it’s really hard for me to not lose faith on Mikel.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Arteta is the least of my worries at the moment even though he’s wrong about Mari, Luiz, Cedric and Ceballos.

We need to start acting like a club who wants to move forward and get rid of both Raul and Vinai ASAP. I’ve had enough of both of them, they’ve got to go and we’ve got to restructure.

Sack Raul and bring back Arsène.

#Arsene2021

Gunners1616

I get where you're coming from, but surely a guy like Arteta who's learned under Wenger and won titles with Pep knows a decent player when he sees one?

Maybe he does think Mari and Cedric will be good options, Cedric has a ton of PL evidence to look at and Arteta has worked with Mari before.

I'm just looking at the most likely way of reasoning. Let's hope the Luiz one is till the end of this season only.

Indeed i don't think Mari and Cedric are bad players. The (huge) problem is getting Mari when you already have Luiz, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding etc... and getting Cedric when you have Bellerin, AMN or even Sokratis for the same position.

The reasoning/strategy is just bad. We have to invest in quality players and if we can't afford them then we go for young prospects with high potentiel. But these average stop-gags with zero resale value are really strange. If we had a strong core of players then OK but right now it doesnt make much sense (assuming the goal is to become a "big" club again).

As for Luiz, if he gets the 2 years deal he wanted at 33 years old (and given his level) there should be an investigation into that deal and the practices of his agent. I doubt we even negociated this much to keep the likes of Koscielny, Cazorla or Monreal.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Indeed i don't think Mari and Cedric are bad players. The (huge) problem is getting Mari when you already have Luiz, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding etc... and getting Cedric when you have Bellerin, AMN or even Sokratis for the same position.

The reasoning/strategy is just bad. We have to invest in quality players and if we can't afford them then we go for young prospects with high potentiel. But these average stop-gags with zero resale value are really strange. If we had a strong core of players then OK but right now it doesnt make much sense (assuming the goal is to become a "big" club again).

As for Luiz, if he gets the 2 years deal he wanted at 33 years old (and given his level) there should be an investigation into that deal and the practices of his agent. I doubt we even negociated this much to keep the likes of Koscielny, Cazorla or Monreal.

Completely get that, let's just hope we're already in talks with getting rid of guys like Sokratis, Holding and Mustafi etc.

GunnerShy

Now that I know Leno is playing next season I've settled a little bit. Are we surprised they're extending?
Soares - a free. Wages are probably relatively low. Will be a squad back up to Bellerin. Not an inspired signing but fills a need. For free. PL proven mediocrity.
Mari - deal was always happening. Relatively cheap, right age. I'm not sold. Best we can hope for is a poor man's Mertesacker. But better on the ball.
Luiz - I thought we should chop him. They've taken the option. I'll have faith. Maybe they think they can shift Sokratis at seasons end.
Ceballos - need him until seasons end. Right call. Even if it's only to lace Xhaka's bootlaces.

In summary, I hope settling a few positions relatively cheaply will help us shift others and go after a couple of proper footballers in midfield that can change our team. Maybe I'm overly optimistic.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Now that I know Leno is playing next season I've settled a little bit. Are we surprised they're extending?
Soares - a free. Wages are probably relatively low. Will be a squad back up to Bellerin. Not an inspired signing but fills a need. For free. PL proven mediocrity.
Mari - deal was always happening. Relatively cheap, right age. I'm not sold. Best we can hope for is a poor man's Mertesacker. But better on the ball.
Luiz - I thought we should chop him. They've taken the option. I'll have faith. Maybe they think they can shift Sokratis at seasons end.
Ceballos - need him until seasons end. Right call. Even if it's only to lace Xhaka's bootlaces.

In summary, I hope settling a few positions relatively cheaply will help us shift others and go after a couple of proper footballers in midfield that can change our team. Maybe I'm overly optimistic.

the problem is Bellerin himself is only good as back up rb for us now and shouldn't be our first choice

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Pretty brutal quote.

Wonder how the players feel about a complete rookie saying that. You still have to motivate them. :lol:

"I knew since I joined what I was jumping into," Arteta said. "The past few seasons, what happened, I knew it wasn't a coincidence.

"So I could've sat back and waited to see if the opportunity was still there in the summer, or I could use this time as well to start the process that I want and to start to see where the changes that have to be made are.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Pretty brutal quote.

Wonder how the players feel about a complete rookie saying that. You still have to motivate them. :lol:

This season's a free hit really for him.

He'll be judged on next season. Hopefully with his own team

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Cedric and Mari 4 years
Luiz 1 year
Orn confirms

4 is too much. Hope both their wages are low because we are going to be stuck with them.

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom