• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This was very different from the Fulham game under Emery all those eons ago. There was a solidity and strong base that we managed to use as a platform and played some pretty good attacking football aswell. It's still early stages IMO, we're not seeing anything near what we might be doing with a bit more polish. But I'm really impressed with the nuanced approach to games that Arteta is fostering in this team. Game management is getting better, both from the players and Arteta himself.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Unai Emery was the worst thing that happened to our beloved club.
I’d say it was Kronke myself.

Emery clearly didn’t work out but I still don’t think he was that bad. Arteta is literally doing everything he did really, with just more conviction and success - way less tinkering which Emery ended up doing once he buckled under pressure. Examples off the top of my head include:

- Freezing out Özil
- 5 at the back against lowly opposition
- Preferring a winger with prem experience to Pepe
- Auba on the left
- Trying to play from the back at all times (executed horribly under Emery)

People probably won’t agree with me but I myself see loads of similarities. After Arteta initially trying to come in with 4-3-3 and his own ideas, they’ve both ended up coming to the same conclusions formation and personnel wise.

Last edited:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I’d say it was Kronke myself.

Emery clearly didn’t work out but I still don’t think he was that bad. Arteta is literally doing everything he did really, with just more conviction and success - way less tinkering which Emery ended up doing once he buckled under pressure. Examples off the top of my head include:

- Freezing out Özil
- 5 at the back against lowly opposition
- Preferring a winger with prem experience to Pepe
- Auba on the left
- Trying to play from the back at all times (executed horribly under Emery)

People probably won’t agree with me but I myself see loads of similarities. After Arteta initially trying to come in with 4-3-3 and his own ideas, they’ve both ended up coming to the same conclusions formation and personnel wise.
I'll bite on this. I think it's an astute observation drawing those parallels but whilst there are similarities, the level of execution is night and day. Which really is all it is about tbh. Emery was pivotal for Lacazette and the careers of Saka, Guendouzi, Willock etc. but we also had our worst run in over 30 years and the club was set back (failing to clinch CL etc.)

Similarities yes but execution no. He was pretty bad.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah execution was bad and Emery was in way over his head. Small club mentality and Arteta seems a lot more ambitious and a better communicator.

Emery developed a number of players who are a big part of our squad still, so I dunno if he is the worst thing ever. I think upstairs (Gazidis and everything he’s put in place is now gone) and the players on the pitch all share part of the blame.

TornadoTed

Established Member
What a fantastic job Mikel is doing. After years of looking a bit chaotic it is nice to see such a well drilled, organised and solid looking side.

There is still a long way to go, the squad is unbalanced, lacks quality in certain areas and is very young. There is no magic bullet, the solution to all of those things is patience and time. In the here and now Mikel is doing everything I would want from my manager.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

o9zme2t90sm51.jpg

That's a well drilled goal. 3 players in the exact same position

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So impressive what Arteta is doing. He realised quickly the limtations in the team: lack of defenders that can defend 1v1 and creativity in midfield, and adjusted our style according. He's made us really compact to mask the defensive problems, and bypassed our creative issues by playing more direct to Auba.

This summer its clear we are moving to address these issues. Gabriel seems a 1v1 monster at the back, and Willian will guarantee creativty. Add Partey and Aouar would clearly improve us in these areas as well. Good things to come.

Latest posts

Top Bottom