<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Trophy Winning MANAGER

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Taneruit

Taneruit Well-Known Member

I think he meant Arteta there, as in Pep was key to Arteta's career.

That said, Pep lost a lot when Arteta left as well. More than may be with any of his assistant coaches. You just have to listen how Man City players rated Arteta.

2. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

are u sure.. Arteta did most of his heavy lifting after leaving pep, and pep got tonked by Arteta when they met.

3. Moleque

Moleque Active Member

What? You think our fans are smarter than opposition coaching staffs? I think the opposition has already figured it out. Stopping it is another question.

4. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Don't be naive. Social media and online articles and opinions etc. are widely used as scouting tools in top level football. Analysts gather all the data and information they can get.

5. lufere7

lufere7 Well-Known Member

The thing with that specific pattern of play is that it's not a gimmick, you can't just counter it by pressing Auba harder, look in both videos how they leave KT completely alone, really hard to counter two left backs overloading you, you press Auba harder and he just passes it to KT which is just as dangerous considering in both goals we were 5v5/6v6.

It's genius that Arteta identified this is possible when you have a player like Tierney that can play LCB/LB and has a WC engine.

asukru, Ash10, Dj_sds - and 4 others like this.
  6. Gegen Pressing

Gegen Pressing Well-Known Member

Wenger-Dein was not a model. It was an adhoc partnership

A model today would have to include five directors
    Data Science-Manager-Scout (Wenger)
    And on the other side some corporsate
    Finance-Lawyer (Dein)

Could argue that Wenger + Dein was complete by accident because both great minds but in structured modern club you'd have a physical person for each of these. Gazidis arguably tried to achieve this but I believe Gazidis as a legal type he's over his head. I would say these days you need a scientific mind to run a data science organisation that is becoming a football club worth a billion+ .

7. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

MOTD did really good piece on Leeds and their patterns. The opponent knows what's coming but its not easily countered. We must stick with this but other players need to start chipping in too.

8. EmeryCouldnt

EmeryCouldnt Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, they're going to waste their time with the "expert" analysis of soft bodies who have barely stepped on a football pitch and never learned high level football. As far as troll posts from you go; this is just the tip of the Manberg.

Ash10, Pyres7, GoonerJay24 and 6 others like this.
  9. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Tip of the Manberg nice!

EmeryCouldnt likes this.
  10. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

We really do have the best tactical manager in the league ffs. Hes streets ahead of all the dross on show atm.

Taylor Gang Gunners likes this.
  11. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

There’s a reason we promoted him again. This man is special.

12. GDeep™

GDeep™ Doesn't Consider Wenger a Legend

As a ‘football coach’, you see very few better in the league. Obviously you have to give Klopp and Pep their respect, but after that, you can comfortably say Arteta is streets ahead.

Someone like Frank, for example, got embarrassed by Arteta in the FA Cup final.

13. GDeep™

GDeep™ Doesn't Consider Wenger a Legend

The big issue for Arteta, and how long he’ll put up with it is an owner who is not going to help him out. Other managers have owners who’ll push the boat out, our owner isn’t putting a penny into the club as shown by Swiss Ramble today.

Doesn’t matter how good a coach you are, it’s hard to overcome clubs and managers who can simply buy their way to top 4 or titles.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  14. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

I think he will want to manage City and Barcelona if the opportunity arises, as he will want to win the main trophies at some point that I just can’t imagine him being given the chance to win here.

That should be a while away though.

15. Manberg

Manberg Predator

16. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

I don't get the Kroenke hate tbh. Bloke doesn't take money out of the club (like the Glazers) allows us to spend whatever we have in the club, doesn't put a wage cap on players like Levy does...

We have so much freedom under Kroenke. Since 14/15 we have spent £610M on footballers. Arteta doesn't need much money over the next 3 years. I think he'll need £200M spent on footballers (including this window) absolute maximum to turn this side into title challengers.

When Auba leaves is hopefully when we'll be in the best possible position to replace him with big signings up front.

Moleque likes this.
  17. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Vinai Venkatesham Stan Trusted

I feel like this season will tell us everything, so far from what I've seen under Mikel there aren't many complaints, but the sample size isn't big enough yet imo to warrant whether he really is the real deal.

I think we'll know at the end of the season whether or not we'll be able to win the league under him but everything so far is pointing towards that.

18. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

If he maintains this trajectory, it may be sooner than you think. The key is for us to support the manager and for him to realise that this is his home.

Riou likes this.
  19. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

Right now, Arteta is more advanced than both Ole and Frank in terms of tactical planning and execution, and a dedication to versatility. Despite Mourinho's poor form does he still have this ability too IMO so I would not say Arteta is too far apart from him.

Klopp and Pep are the best in the league, and of the best in Europe. They are in in their own bracket.

Arteta's approach is reminiscent of Wenger when he joined us in the 90s, but like Wenger it was only a matter of time before the rest caught up and started to put together plans to nullify Arsène's impact.

The same is likely to happen with Mikel, however like Arsène he is an intellectual, committed to the idea of continuos improvement. This approach keeps him with the potential to be excellent at his job.

The key however is for the club to not make the same mistakes made with Arsène. Mikel needs support and access to resources.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  20. Manberg

Manberg Predator

asukru likes this.