<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Trophy Winning MANAGER

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Arteta in July, after beating Liverpool:

“"You can see how Liverpool build their squad and there's no magic, you need to improve the squad with quality players. We need a bigger squad to compete in this competition. You only have to look at the difference between the two teams - it's enormous."”

2. Taneruit

Taneruit Well-Known Member

https://www.goal.com/en/news/elneny...enal-manager-arteta/yzko2w7sklf61l59gkzl2bsbq

Brett and American_Gooner like this.
  3. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

I have seen enough from Mikel to know that tactically he will be up there with Klopp and Pep. This will be a long post but it outlines the position Arteta is in right now in comparison.

The situation is very similar to Klopp at Liverpool. Finished 8th after joining part way through the season.

The difference is with Klopp he had a set system from the get go, a 433 with Firmino spearheading the attack. A few times he strayed away from that and went with a 4231, namely in the Europa league final in his first half season. Liverpool ended up losing to Sevilla in the final with this team -

Mignolet
    Clyne - Lovren - Toure - Moreno
    Milner - Can
    Lallana - Firmino - Coutinho
    Sturridge ​

Klopp Made a profit of £5M in his first window, signing Matip, Mane and Wijnaldum as the main players for his squad whilst promoting TAA to the first team. Its worth saying that Klopp didn't even have Europa league money for this window as Liverpool failed to qualify. Something Arteta already has a foot up with.

Liverpool finished 4th in Klopps first full season on 76 points, they actually finished just one point above us. Two points behind City in 3rd.

In the summer window that followed Liverpool spent £80M on players, Salah, the Ox and Andy Robertson. They had a net spend of £50M after sales, which is essentially CL money. By the 3rd of January 2018 Liverpool were 4th, 4 points ahead of 5th and with a 3 point gap to second place. City had a huge lead at the top of the table.

Into January Liverpool were hardly playing Coutinho, he was sold to Barcelona for a mental fee and subsequently Liverpool signed Virgil Van Dijk. Liverpool of course made the CL final, lost to Madrid and ended up once again finishing in 4th, one point less than the season before. But Klopp had made a CL final in his first season in the competition with Liverpool.

To push for the league Klopp knew he needed a keeper and a CDM to supplement the signing of Van Dijk. He signed Alisson and Fabinho for around £100M along with Keita and Shaqiri coming in for £48M and £12M respectively. Keita was of course signed on a pre contract, but a huge spend over 2 years for Liverpool, mainly supplemented by Coutinho's sale. But what we need to remember at Arsenal is 1) we don't need as many starters as Klopp signed, for example we have a keeper, we have a left back, we have CL level forwards.

We all know what happened from there, Alisson and Fabinho were enough to push Liverpool towards a CL victory and a second place finish just a point behind City in the league, the season after that they won the league.

If Arteta is good enough, we don't need to spend the earth, we are already in a fantastic position in terms of our squad compared to Klopp's 8th placed Liverpool. Paramount we get CL this season to progress further, Klopp managed 3 European finals in 3 straight seasons as Liverpool manager which is pretty insane.

Its a process, a 3 year process with Auba. I think we'll win something big in those 3 years.

Kav, asukru, CaseUteinberger and 3 others like this.
  4. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Klopp has so far failed to take the domestic cups seriously, something Arteta has.

5. HairSprayGooners

He has, but Klopp made multiple European finals which are way more lucrative.

Arteta knows the value and importance of the FA cup to Arsenal, we've won it more times than any other club. So we have to take it seriously. And in general you want to win as much silverware as possible, but I'd take CL finals over FA cup finals lol.

Dj_sds - and SA Gunner like this.
  6. Manberg

Manberg Predator

My point is that Klopp would make full rotations on his squad for domestic cups to give his side a better chance at winning games in the league or in Europe. Arteta will take all competitions seriously. Klopp doesn’t, to Klopp’s own detriment.

7. HairSprayGooners

Whilst true Arteta can fully rotate players up until latter stages of the Europa league and FA cup if he gets there.

Mane for example played 50 games and 4300 minutes in the 18/19 season. (36 league games and 13 CL games with 1 domestic cup game) By comparison Auba played 44 games last year for us and 3700 minutes. 36 league games, 6 europa league and 2 FA cup games.

Our key player was only used in the FA cup Semi's and final. I'd also say we have better squad depth than Liverpool and much better young players, but the issue is the starting 11 isn't as good.

8. Uncle Good-Advice

Uncle Good-Advice Well-Known Member

Despite any reservations I'll take this kind of impact in a heartbeat. That will mean at least 4-5 years close to the top.

But I don't think it would be that easy for others to emulate any coaching genius as it was in the past (of course it's too early to call Arteta a genius). It takes a lot of intangibles now to be truly successful not only great knowledge.

Right now it looks like Mikel oozes charisma - you can't teach that and probably every great manager needs it. He's a respected ex-pro, he also had fantastic coaching background, watching expansive managers like Wenger and Pep but also more reactionary Moyes. Unfortunately it's not only up to him, he needs proper backing from the board and certain set of players who will follow his command without any doubts. Wenger's ultimate downfall was losing touch with new generations of players, as long as Arteta will avoid this mistake we should be fine.

Mrs Bergkamp and SA Gunner like this.
  9. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

Corona virus has slightly mucked up a proper assessment if Arteta. This was to be his first season in charge with a pre season and early acquisitions to bed in. His tough start hasn't affected him as far as I can tell which is a tribute to him and the coaches. If anything, it's sharpened his skills. He needs proper backing right now. He needs to get Partey and Aouar now and next season, he will have another opportunity to trim the squad and improve.

EmeryCouldnt and Kav like this.
  10. Barney Gumble

Barney Gumble Member

I like how Arteta has been so good, no one's mentioned that he's quietly dealt with our horrendous away record that's haunted us for like the last 2 to 3 years.

11. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

@Makingtrax
    Squad cost gaining further momentum.

12. oh to be a goon

oh to be a goon Active Member

There is so much about our play that is quietly being done but no one notices.
    Like no one panicking. Used to be mutliple times a game at least one of our defend would be sent into a panic running back to goal. Even when we do make mistakes there's always someone near at hand to tidy up before things get out of hand.
    Or vocal communication. I was watching a season preview and one of the pundits was talking about how none of the big 6 teams were notably vocal during the restart when stadiums are empty (even Liverpool). He said Arsenal were the only big team with notable communication between players.

kash2 likes this.
  13. EmeryCouldnt

EmeryCouldnt Well-Known Member

Klopp schmop. Arteta about to do a madness.

Moleque and razörist like this.
  14. EmeryCouldnt

EmeryCouldnt Well-Known Member

Seeing how he coaches the boys on the field during games without crowd noise has been a credit to him.

(funny to see this and then think about how useless Emery was from the touch line)

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  15. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Explaining how football works had been a long road.

But my work is done. Great post by @Manberg.

Brett, kash2 and El Granit-Coq like this.
  16. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

I think the drinks breaks last season and the quiet stadiuns have really helped him get his message across. I hope there's a way to keep communicating effectively when things are back to "normal". I'm grateful (and also disappointed at the same time!) Emery was such a flop tbh. It's made Arteta's job a bit easier.

EmeryCouldnt likes this.
  17. Camron

Camron Established Member Trusted

Look at this loveley lady shutting down the saltness that is Tim Sherwood.

You love to see it.

18. Moah

Moah Well-Known Member

You know Emery was **** when a Tottenham fan hypes him up for you.
    How salty must one be to bring the poor results at the end of season, when we have won two trophies since then.

Camron likes this.
  19. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Tim will never get over the 2015 FA Cup final hammering, that result basically ended his management career :lol:

20. Camron

Camron Established Member Trusted

Gonna rewatch it right now. Hope they have a manager cam in there.

Riou likes this.