<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Trophy Winning MANAGER

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Manberg

Manberg Predator

It worked last season. It’s not been working this season because Auba hasn’t been as good. He needs to step it up. He has a huge responsibility but that’s why he was given the contract. Arteta is building the team around Auba.

2. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

Salah and Mané aren’t anything like Auba. I’m wondering if you’ve followed Auba’s career since Lewa left Dortmund and he replaced him as their main striker?

Either side of him - players like Reus, Pulisic, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Dembele. His job was to get on the end of the chances they created, and he broke goalscoring records doing so.

Even here under Wenger and Emery, neither used him on the wing except in an emergency.

SingmeasongSong likes this.
  3. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Modern football has changed. Strikers in the premier league need to do a lot more than be a fox in the box. Auba was making the right runs whilst being involved in the build up last season, and getting on the end of chances. He needs to retrieve that form. I’m hoping that he will.

4. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James Trusted

I saw something on Twitter that said Auba’s xG in PL games under Arteta is 6.58 but the amount of goals he actually scored is 11. So it would point more towards him now simply playing to the norm rather than massively out performing himself. If you look at his xG for all his previous seasons he was mostly in line with his xG number or under it, not way over it. Auba had been doing wonders with the lack of good chances but he won’t be able to keep it up.

Trilly likes this.
  5. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

Seeing Everton and Sp**s with proper experienced title winning managers while we mess about with some hipster rookie worries me man.

Blaziken and mazinarsenal1988 like this.
  6. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Meme Merchant

AM told me we won the FA Cup because of Arteta not because Auba scored 4 goals from 5 chances we created in 2 games.

Gooner416, Blaziken, kash2 and 3 others like this.
  7. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James Trusted

He clearly can coach and manage players. It’s undeniable that we’re a lot more structured under him and players are able to execute his plan, but now he needs to evolve. He has been backed financially and spent €80m to strengthen the spine of the team so this negative overly cautious approach needs to stop.

Gooner416, #254, Trilly and 4 others like this.
  8. MikeVinna

MikeVinna Well-Known Member

Yeah I disagree with you. Auba’s always missed chances that’s not going to change. So creating less and less for him is going to backfire. It already has in my opinion. Expecting him to step up and create for himself is ludicrous. Sure he’ll curl them in from the edge of the box occasionally and tuck inside to score but he’s never going to do that consistently. He’s not that player.

Big Poppa likes this.
  9. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

The claim that Auba is much better as a LW than a CF is so so stupid, it's purely based on a necessity.

You won't win them over though, no chance

dka91, Ashybashy86 and Big Poppa like this.
  10. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

It's why I always say I much preferred Alexis over Auba if we're talking LW. He's exactly what we need in that position.

11. Football Manager

Football Manager Copy & Paste Merchant

I hope Partey can slow down our play. So that we can have more possession and create more chances.

12. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Vinai Venkatesham Stan Trusted

Alexis is the best player we've had since the Emirates opened, just beating Gabriel.

13. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Yep. This lot aren't capable of creating so we need a one man wrecking crew like Alexis at this moment in time.

14. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Sick of this trendy "transition" concept that's only come to the fore in the last couple of years. I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand what is meant by it.

Why can't we discuss actually being on the ball and controlling things? Why do we have to aspire to some flaky nonsense?

15. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

Can't disagree with that to be fair. If you cant get creativity like City, which is fairly impossible with the other players we currently have then you go for a star player.

Sp**s have Son.

Chelsea have Havertz now who will come good, along with Pulisic who is immense.

City have KDB and a plethora of attacking talent.

United have Bruno.

Liverpool have Mane and Salah.

We do need a magical player, Auba is magic but mainly a magical goalscorer. The difficult part is finding that player. I'm guessing Aouar would be it.

#254 likes this.
  16. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

You seriously don’t think we’re slow enough already?

#254, mazinarsenal1988 and kash2 like this.
  17. Football Manager

Aouar is a magical player. And simply by having him, we will play much better football.
    The problem is, city has a team of magical players.

18. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

Yeah it would help for sure.

19. Football Manager

20. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

Tiki-taka is soo 2010.

Football has evolved.

Big Poppa likes this.