• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

A lot was made of the high volume of shots we faced last season under Emery.

When he was sacked after losing to Frankfurt we’d faced 15.65 shots per game with 4.75 on target per game.

Under Mikel so far this season we’ve faced 12.4 shots per game with 4.2 on target per game. Already that’s pretty worrying.

Then when you look at the xG stats it’s pretty alarming that bar the Sheffield Utd game and that McGoldrick banger all of our opponents have underperformed their xG.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta

When he was sacked after losing to Frankfurt we’d faced 15.65 shots per game with 4.75 on target per game.

Under Mikel so far this season we’ve faced 12.4 shots per game with 4.2 on target per game. Already that’s pretty worrying.

Then when you look at the xG stats it’s pretty alarming that bar the Sheffield Utd game and that McGoldrick banger all of our opponents have underperformed their xG.
geez.. didnt realise the comparisons were getting serious.

I do wonder why Arsenal would want to change the style and brand of football that made them loved and admired all over the world. It was our brand, our identity and our strength.

blaze_of_glory

I think the club will give Arteta more time than they did Emery. He's already done more with that FA Cup win and deserves it I think. Should be given a few years to implement what he wants. I really hope we get back to a more fluid and attacking style though. That's Arsenal.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think the club will give Arteta more time than they did Emery. He's already done more with that FA Cup win and deserves it I think. Should be given a few years to implement what he wants. I really hope we get back to a more fluid and attacking style though. That's Arsenal.

Im honestly not even bothered about the football. If we were able to control and win games like Simeone, Allegri or Mourinho used to I’d be happy with that.

Just this style of football we have now is completely unsustainable based on what we’ve seen so far.

akhil

We've faced Liverpool and City away to be fair. I'd wait a little longer before using that stat.

I'm not as concerned defensively just because of the individuals we've brought in. Tierney and Bellerin (both fully fit), Gabriel and Partey will improve us defensively.

'Ice cream dildo' seems apt to describe our attack right now.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We've faced Liverpool and City away to be fair. I'd wait a little longer before using that stat.

I'm not as concerned defensively just because of the individuals we've brought in. Tierney and Bellerin (both fully fit), Gabriel and Partey will improve us defensively.

'Ice cream dildo' seems apt to describe our attack right now.

Yeah so we conceded 28 shots against those two in the league but we still faced 15 shots against West Ham at home, 15 against Leicester in the Caraboa and 12 shots away at Rapid Vienna.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yeah so we conceded 28 shots against those two in the league but we still faced 15 shots against West Ham at home, 15 against Leicester in the Caraboa and 12 shots away at Rapid Vienna.

I'd be interested to see the numbers for a defensive coach like Simeone, just to see if the style of play does tend to conceding more shots (perhaps of a lower quality) as opposed to dominating possession and giving little to the opposition.

On the whole though I agree that some of the signs are worrying, I really want Arteta to succeed but a few alarm bells are going.

blaze_of_glory

How many shots were we giving up at the end of Wenger's tenure? We were suspect at the back then but had the ball more (or so I assume).

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
15 shots against Leicester were mostly Maddison smashing shots from 30 yards out, one of them hit the post and that was their best chance of the game. I remember that game very well, it was a stroll.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I maintain in the first half first Leicester the signs were very promising. I don't know what happened in the second half whether it was just us dropping our intensity a bit, Luiz going off having a massive impact or simply Leicester just adapted to what we were doing and we didn't have an alternative way. I felt our main issues were simply a lack of quality in terms of the final pass or whatever, I didn't like the position Auba was forced into and a lot of our attacks kept breaking down just to a poor pass. It was frustrating how we fell into Leicester's trap pretty much, but at the same time I'd be more focused on the fact that we just couldn't score. I still think the answer is Auba CF and Pepe in the position Auba was in on Sunday. At least with Pepe there looking at the positions Auba was in, he could carry the ball a bit and cut inside. Auba look stifled. I also didn't see what Lacazette was doing which makes it so vital we play him there and not Auba centrally. He was our most advanced player by a long shot and in terms of average position he was basically playing as a lone 9, for all that people try and say he's a false 9 or basically a pressing 10 or whatever, nah he was playing as a striker he's just a very **** one. Play Auba there. He's was overperforming his xG massively from the left, we need him in the box.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

This system looks like it's still a work in progress and without genuine quality in each and every position it's going to take slightly longer than usual. I think Arteta should really find a simpler way to create crossing situations like KT did plenty of times in the 1st half

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Arteta needs to find a solution for the players we have and give them licence to mix it up a bit. He doesn't have the luxury of time and no player looks like they're enjoying their football. The handbrake is on the the car is clamped.

rupscund

Well, we're the exact opposite of that style now then. In the 50 years I've seen watching us, this is the most boring I have ever seen us (including George Graham's tenure).

We disjointed and a lot of the players don't look like they want to be here.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'd be interested to see the numbers for a defensive coach like Simeone, just to see if the style of play does tend to conceding more shots (perhaps of a lower quality) as opposed to dominating possession and giving little to the opposition.

On the whole though I agree that some of the signs are worrying, I really want Arteta to succeed but a few alarm bells are going.

Sp**s this year have faced an average of 9.3 shots a game and 3.44 on target a game.

Atletico have had a pretty poor start to the year and have looked very shaky at times and their numbers are similar to ours.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
Well, we're the exact opposite of that style now then. In the 50 years I've seen watching us, this is the most boring I have ever seen us (including George Graham's tenure).

Which players?

blaze_of_glory

Yup, I haven't watched as long as you but these past 2.5 seasons have certainly been the toughest to endure from an entertainment point of view.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

This system looks like it's still a work in progress and without genuine quality in each and every position it's going to take slightly longer than usual. I think Arteta should really find a simpler way to create crossing situations like KT did plenty of times in the 1st half

Look at Xhaka, pass back merchant

Latest posts

Top Bottom