• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Transfers and the results side of things are independent imo.

If Arteta wins the EL without Willian playing a part then it shows we’ve invested 200kpw in someone who was surplus to requirements. A signing that didn’t even help us meet our goals.

I think that’s justification to tighten his leash a bit in terms of picking the players, not in terms of backing him financially.
Spot on. He should have never have been made manager or given the final say on certain talents coming in or out the club, regardless of what happens that was a big mistake by Arsenal. He should have just been left to coach which was the original plan until the surprise FA Cup win.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why would they give him a new contract if they already have a contract that ties him into 2023? No. They'll wait and see how next season shapes up, if they had a brain cell in their collective skulls.
2023 is around the corner in footballing terms. They’ll defo offer him a new contract after a big success like a European trophy.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Spot on. He should have never have been made manager or given the final say on certain talents coming in or out the club, regardless of what happens that was a big mistake by Arsenal. He should have just been left to coach which was the original plan until the surprise FA Cup win.
But the coach and DoF model wasn’t working, you can argue it cost Emery his job and Arteta is now barely using any Raul players.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

But the coach and DoF model wasn’t working, you can argue it cost Emery his job and Arteta is now barely using any Raul players.
Leno, Tierney, Ceballos and Pepe (the only one Arteta doesn't like who's still here) are Raul players. Raul initiated Gabriel and Partey not Arteta (he wanted Auoar).
As much as you repeat this, it will never be true :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Leno, Tierney, Ceballos and Pepe are Raul players. Raul initiated Gabriel and Partey not Arteta (he wanted Auoar).
As much as you repeat this, it will never be true :lol:
We aren’t signing Dani and Arteta has barely used him in recent months. Pepe is here and there, it’s only Leno and Tierney that are 100% starters.

Torreira is 25M down the drain, a million miles away from an Arteta type, long term projects like Guendouzi and Saliba put aside etc.

Arteta signed Partey and Gabriel on his watch.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We aren’t signing Dani and Arteta has barely used him in recent months. Pepe is here and there, it’s only Leno and Tierney that are 100% starters.

Torreira is 25M down the drain, a million miles away from an Arteta type, long term projects like Guendouzi and Saliba put aside etc.

Gabriel is a Raul signing, we all know this. Just because he got fired before the deal wasn’t completed doesn’t mean it wasn’t his.

Partey is an Arsenal signing if anything, we have been trying to sign him since Emery was here I believe. Wait, that makes him a Raul signing too?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Unless you have the right people in place, the DoF model doesn’t work. Raul was a bum at Barcelona too.

Now it’s better, Arteta lives and dies on his style of play and signings.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Gabriel is a Raul signing, we all know this. Just because he got fired before the deal wasn’t completed doesn’t mean it wasn’t his.

Partey is an Arsenal signing if anything, we have been trying to sign him since Emery was here I believe. Wait, that makes him a Raul signing too?
Arteta/Edu might have wanted those signings anyway. Like Mari, both Arteta/Edu knew and wanted him.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Your posting has been on fire lately so I am not gonna argue too much. I just disagree with the Raul signing narrative though, especially watching Arteta for 1 and a half seasons now, some of his preferences are very apparent.

The dof model is becoming common place tbh, it's the Wenger model that's dying out, or used at clubs outside the traditional top clubs - like Leeds and stuff. If I like the manager enough I prefer the Wenger model, less likely to get a Saliba or Pepe situation.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Transfers and the results side of things are independent imo.

If Arteta wins the EL without Willian playing a part then it shows we’ve invested 200kpw in someone who was surplus to requirements. A signing that didn’t even help us meet our goals.

I think that’s justification to tighten his leash a bit in terms of picking the players, not in terms of backing him financially.

I don't think it works like that at Arsenal though. It seems to me that since Raul left Arteta has accumulated more power in terms of transfers and general behind the scenes stuff. Personally I think that power will continue to accumulate if he is viewed as having a successful season in terms of achieving on field objectives.

Whether for good or bad Arteta seems the strongest personality at the club. I don't see Edu / Garlick / Vinai / Josh etc really steering the ship in any meaningful way in terms of transfers (or anything else to be honest :lol: )

Isn't some of the dislike for Willian going a bit over the top on here? Like, he's been decent for a couple of months now. He's got a good shot of being our leading assist maker come the end of the year.

In hindsight we shouldn't have signed him and I blame that almost totally on Arteta. Yet at the same time we're judging a player like Pepe on end product output, which is fair in my view.

If Willian ends up being our leading assist maker or close to it, can we really say he didn't help us meet our goals? Underwhelming seems a bit fairer judgement on Willian's season in my opinion.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I don't think it works like that at Arsenal though. It seems to me that since Raul left Arteta has accumulated more power in terms of transfers and general behind the scenes stuff. Personally I think that power will continue to accumulate if he is viewed as having a successful season in terms of achieving on field objectives.

Whether for good or bad Arteta seems the strongest personality at the club. I don't see Edu / Garlick / Vinai / Josh etc really steering the ship in any meaningful way in terms of transfers (or anything else to be honest :lol: )

Isn't some of the dislike for Willian going a bit over the top on here? Like, he's been decent for a couple of months now. He's got a good shot of being our leading assist maker come the end of the year.

In hindsight we shouldn't have signed him and I blame that almost totally on Arteta. Yet at the same time we're judging a player like Pepe on end product output, which is fair in my view.

If Willian ends up being our leading assist maker or close to it, can we really say he didn't help us meet our goals? Underwhelming seems a bit fairer judgement on Willian's season in my opinion.
Willian’s had a monopoly on set pieces and has also accumulated some of those ‘fake’ assists. I don’t think he’s had a good game since Fulham, I genuinely don’t.

He’s been decent but has he really justified earning like 180kpw more than someone like Nelson?

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Willian’s had a monopoly on set pieces and has also accumulated some of those ‘fake’ assists. I don’t think he’s had a good game since Fulham, I genuinely don’t.

If Willian doesn't appear in a match, I count it as a good game from him tbh.

Last night for example, the way he warmed up but never got subbed on...electric stuff from him :drool:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

He’s been decent but has he really justified earning like 180kpw more than someone like Nelson?

The figure I read is 220K/W.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

I don't think Willian has earnt his money here so far.

There's just a narrative to present anything to do with him in an excessively bad light I find.

The wages stuff is a prime example. Isn't he actually on 120kish a week in wages? Yet people factor in the signing on fee he received to inflate his wages and make them look worse.

Players moving on frees are going to pick up a sizeable signing on fee from their new club, we all know that. Kola did too I believe. I bet Auba picked up a nice chunk when he signed his new contract too, yet fans pick and chose who they add that fee onto the wages of depending on if they like the player or not.

Don't get me wrong he's been poor and his assist numbers do flatter him. But it just seems a bit over the top the way some people go after him in my opinion.

I get it, he's an older player, a known Arteta driven signing and an ex- Chelsea player to boot so some are going to have it in for him from the outset. I think perspective is lost a bit sometimes though.

Iceman10

Established Member

Willian will always now be considered a surplus signing, one that delayed us to getting to where we have now over the last two matches with runners on both LW and RW. He’s just done ok over the last couple of months, before he was mediocre, and some of his assists in truth have been pretty basic passes where the goalscoring effort is almost all with the goalscorers doing something special, not tap-ins. We could say signing him obviously is not his fault, it is the club’s, but I can’t hide my desire for the club to write off his signing bonus as a mistake and try to find a club somewhere in the world that will take him from us this summer.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I don't think Willian has earnt his money here so far.

There's just a narrative to present anything to do with him in an excessively bad light I find.

The wages stuff is a prime example. Isn't he actually on 120kish a week in wages? Yet people factor in the signing on fee he received to inflate his wages and make them look worse.

Players moving on frees are going to pick up a sizeable signing on fee from their new club, we all know that. Kola did too I believe. I bet Auba picked up a nice chunk when he signed his new contract too, yet fans pick and chose who they add that fee onto the wages of depending on if they like the player or not.

Don't get me wrong he's been poor and his assist numbers do flatter him. But it just seems a bit over the top the way some people go after him in my opinion.

I get it, he's an older player, a known Arteta driven signing and an ex- Chelsea player to boot so some are going to have it in for him from the outset. I think perspective is lost a bit sometimes though.
I don’t think I’m going over the top, I just think we’ve shown that we don’t need him hence the money we’ve spent on him, is a waste. Let’s ignore the ratio of sign on fee vs weekly salary and say he’s costing us 31M over 3 years.

Again, since December when the team started playing football, he hasn’t been awful but he’s clearly looked a level below Pepe, ESR, Saka and Martinelli when played on the wing.

I was one of those who actually thought Willian was a decent signing this summer so I don’t take pride in saying he’s been an absolutely pointless transfer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom