• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
In agreement with the recruitment, and our youngsters coming through the ranks, its has been good.

That said I think we should cut our losses and do a madness in the summer. Ship Arteta on, ship Edu on and bring in Brendan and Luis, or Brendan and Ralph. Let a proper professional team work with our new squad.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

4 shots and 1 on target all evening. Newcastle never looked close to scoring today. It was either going to be 0-0 or us winning.

Listening to the post match interviews with Arteta it is a lot about keeping the shape and controlling the game. Attacking without loosing that defensive shape and control. It simply does take time to implement with the team and players we have. It will be a journey and with a young and inexperienced manager it will take time.
Newcastle never looked close to scoring today because they have scored 1 goal in their last 7 matches. :lol:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Newcastle never looked close to scoring today because they have scored 1 goal in their last 7 matches. :lol:
yep even shef united kept clean sheet against them. Arteta had a run of few easier games. Now starts the real test. Next 4 are Southampton, man u, wolves and villa. All the good vibes he got lately will be gone if he doesnt pick points here.

Jae

Though I'm a fan of Arteta, one thing that does trouble me and I think has been a consistent issue, bar the Chelsea match and a couple of others is the playing with the handbrake on a bit first half.

I'll credit Arteta as he does tend to get the players fired up and at it in the second halfs, but it's a matter of time before we play a match starting off slowly, end up 0-2 down at half time and then there's a mountain to climb second half.

Needs improving.

We were exactly the same under Emery as well.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
He won’t get that time unless he start playing better football. We won today against a team who had no attacking intention and a team with no win in 9 and in the worst form in the league. Artetas football is as dull as I can remember watching us and he is so lucky there are no fans

Dude, we play good football at times. We just need the consistency. And slowly but surely we are seeing it more regularly. We have won 5 of the last 6 drawing the other.

Even you cant complain at that, would you rather defensive stability and good football to become a regular thing as the games go on? Or would you prefer us to get absolutely slaughtered in big away games and play beautiful football? Not really getting anywhere with that methodology long term.

I will happily trade short term good looking football for long term success because Mikel built a solid structure and a solid base first.

Some people like yourself have every right to moan, but you've really got to open your mind up to the bigger picture.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Still a very worrying underlying stat for me.

This is something I was discussing last night. What changed in the second half, we got the early goal in the little spurt we were playing well. If Aubameyang scores his chance in the first half I think we get the momentum a bit earlier. We lack confidence. Once we start getting the goals that will change.

I am immensely proud of Arteta. I know others aren't and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But things are improving and we are slowly building. Some of the favourite whipping boys in Cedric and Mari have done well. Gabriel has been an astute signing and Partey finally got to show his class last night. Its a slow rebuilding job but it is coming together.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think we need to stick it out now. We've gone for a young and promising manager. We need to stick with it in my opinion.

I'll be the first to admit that I have a tendency to be "Arsenal manager In", whomever it is. I lost faith in Emery when I saw that the players had lost faith. You don't come back from that.

The players are clearly playing for Mikel, and for now, we need to stick it out. The club needs stability on and off the pitch, while at the same time, we need to clear out the players that are not good enough.

Arteta in, for now.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

This is something I was discussing last night. What changed in the second half, we got the early goal in the little spurt we were playing well. If Aubameyang scores his chance in the first half I think we get the momentum a bit earlier. We lack confidence. Once we start getting the goals that will change.

I am immensely proud of Arteta. I know others aren't and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But things are improving and we are slowly building. Some of the favourite whipping boys in Cedric and Mari have done well. Gabriel has been an astute signing and Partey finally got to show his class last night. Its a slow rebuilding job but it is coming together.

T... Trust the process?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

T... Trust the process?
Trust that the right things are happening. There is a lot behind the scenes (bloated squad, covid) that needs sorted. On the pitch we are defensively solid. Even going back to last season our offside trap was a thing of beauty. Full Monty Arsenal at its best. These things need worked on to come off. It was a clear sign of progress.

I do believe I really do that we've got the back end sorted (yes we need a Bellerin upgrade) and the attack whilst not always clicking will be fine tuned once the off field issues are sorted. Attack is the most expensive part of a football team. We cannot fix it when we are financially handicapped with a wage bill, restricted finance and a covid ravaged income. Progress won't happen overnight but there are things that can be seen that are improving. **** it, trust the process :lol:

Last edited:

DasBootist

Dropping Willian has turned the tide for Arteta. I foresee us continuing on an upward trajectory now. Gabriel has to be re-introduced, Smith Rowe and Saka continue to impress, Tierney looks like one 0f the top left-backs in the league, Partey is back, etc. etc. etc.

No need to fear our upcoming fixtures that much IMEHO. Come on, lads, ffs!

bonzka

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here, but..

Arteta came in and sured up a horribly leaking defence and a midfield that got absolutely ripped apart in transition. Won the FA cup etc etc.

New season begins and he starts to work on our offensive game - but without compromising the new solidity in midfield. Massive teething problems. We looked awful.

Now we're starting to see improvements. Sometimes we're still ponderous but the offensive game is improving and we're still solid at the back.

He gets a lot of stick, but it seems we're moving in the right direction.

Hards games coming up that will really test the trajectory of this team, but if we can keep improving a grab a couple of summer signings, we could have fun next season.. Inshallah.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Trust that the right things are happening. There is a lot behind the scenes (bloated squad, covid) that needs sorted. On the pitch we are defensively solid. Even going back to last season our offside trap was a thing of beauty. Full Monty Arsenal at its best. These things need worked on to come off. It was a clear sign of progress.

I do believe I really do that we've got the back end sorted (yes we need a Bellerin upgrade) and the attack whilst not always clicking will be fine tuned once the off field issues are sorted. Attack is the most expensive part of a football team. We cannot fix it when we are financially handicapped with a wage bill, restricted finance and a covid ravaged income. Progress won't happen overnight but there are things that can be seen that are improving. **** it, trust the process :lol:

I'll take any optimism where I can get it mate

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
For the first time I can remember we have a group of genuinely top class youngsters coming though. There is enough about the squad now to build a team that could challenge for the title in the next 2-3 years or sooner. I’m not sure Arteta is the right man for this job it would be a crime to waste this opportunity on a below par manager.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Happy that he's learning and improving on the job. I understand he starts with solidity from the back, although I have moaned about his dreadful offensive tactics thusfar. Things only started to change offensively once he brought in ESR (which I had advocated for months to toot my own horn), which he should've done much earlier. I don't understand why this couldn't have happened simultaneously, but at least there is progress.

I think it's clear that there are positive steps at the moment. Still needs to shift out a lot of dross and rely on them as little as possible (Willian, Elneny, Luiz and Xhaka to a lesser extent). In that regard it really annoyed me that he didn't use the last game to start building up some confidence for Pepe, but relied on Willian who is incredibly bad.

Really want to see him start working on Pepe more, we can't let our record signing go down like this.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
The goal for this season was always top 6. I’m hopeful we can get there but it’s not easy.

Never expected top 4. We needed more signings in the summer which we didn’t get.

I think Europa league and Fa cup are more important to Arteta. Trophies mean a lot more than 6th place, or even 4th for that matter.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
2.18 ppg would be 41 points in the remaining 19 games. Which equates to roughly 13 wins 2 draws and 4 losses. However it won't work like that. I firmly believe there's going to be 3rd and 4th up for grabs right until the last game of the season.

Of course we need to vastly improve, but its doable, especially with Partey back.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
What I will say (and have said) is that we haven’t even faced a run of games with Partey- our best player- in the side.

The combination of most of these games being more open + Partey + our form could mean we do decent in those games. Maybe we win one of the Villa/Southampton games and one of the City/Sp**s/United games with some draws sprinkled in there.

It won’t be enough to get top4 but there’s always a small chance. Considering we haven’t even bedded in a world class player yet. As Wenger said Partey “will be like a new signing” :lol:

Top Bottom