• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

GoonerJay24

Rubbish, that's like saying Klopp should've coached Mignolet, Lovren, Clyne and co better in his early days instead of signing players who fit what he wants to do.

Every top level manager at a top level club needs his own players to implement his own style.

That's football management. Tactics and philosophy are too overrated these days; coaches join a club and adapt to the players they have.

Klopp did coach those players well and got the maximum out of that team with two consecutive top four finishes. Afterwards he signed players which suited his ideal playing style. This is the mark of a top coach.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
If anything this shows that currently Arteta for whatever reason can't improve us through his tactics and preparations. The fact you only see an improvement after better players came on doesn't exactly give you confidence he can raise the teams overall level. That means relying almost exclusively on just sheer talent to have any hope of a win, rendering the manager's job almost obsolete.

What sets apart the best managers from the average ones is the ability to squeeze so much out their players. We can't put up our arms and proclaim Arteta needs better players everytime we get beaten. It especially looks such a weak argument when the teams beating us haven't even got better players than us. Take for example Southampton in the last game. Some people were moaning we couldn't really expect to win with the likes of Pepe, Willian etc in the starting 11. As we are talking about getting the best out of your players, look the way Hasenhuttl for example is able to make a past it, 31 year old Walcott look like a decent player. Imagine Arteta utilising Walcott like he is Pepe. I can guarantee you he would have been beyond useless if used like that. At the moment that is the difference between Arteta and the better managers. They can squeeze much more out of their players while Arteta can apparently only get a result if a supremely talented player puts in a superb performance.

He did squeeze the best out of them, that’s how we won the fa cup. When rotation is required, it’s up to players who’re not starting to fight for their place. Pepe for example cost previous management £72m yet an academy product is outperforming him in every way possible. It’s a simple matter of Saka playing much better than Pepe. Pepe’s getting chances such as against Southampton to impress the manager and fight for his place but as of yet he has disappointed. The fact that an academy graduate can slot in and play much better than a £72mil player in the same system clearly means the issue is with the player himself, not the management’s that has given him countless opportunities and has been patient with him, nor the system.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
That's football management. Tactics and philosophy are too overrated these days; coaches join a club and adapt to the players they have.

Klopp did coach those players well and got the maximum out of that team with two consecutive top four finishes. Afterwards he signed players which suited his ideal playing style. This is the mark of a top coach.

Klopp took over half way through a season. Every summer he was signing players who fit his style. Liverpool finished 8th with the squad they had in that first half season, then Klopp made 3 signings to get Liverpool into the top 4. But they also already had Coutinho, who was the main difference maker. They had the bones of a side that could make top 4, they had the creativity and immediately added Wijnaldum and Mane.

What you're saying is partially correct, coaches can go to clubs and tinker with what they have, coaches at small clubs like Burnley who can't do anything other than defend because they cannot get the players to take them to the next level.

If you're a top club you want to implement a style, to do that some players won't fit that are currently there. That's the issue we have right now, that issue is getting solved quicker than I thought it would. This summer you'll see a drastic change in the squad and a drastic change in performances next season.

scytheavatar

Established Member
There’s good and there’s bad players. But I want to see him with his own team. One with players he’s bought or bought up from the academy. He needs the backing to get his own team.

His players are guys like Willian........ not sure if I am comfortable that we will be better with Arteta's "own team".

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
His players are guys like Willian........ not sure if I am comfortable that we will be better with Arteta's "own team".

If he had a lot more money to spend he wouldn’t have got Willian, he’d have got much better quality.

Besides, I have my suspicions that it was Edu who pushed the idea of Willian on to him, but I can’t definitively prove it.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Apparently we're most likely to finish 8th. I reckon 6th is doable, but definitely somewhere between 6-8th imo.

8_2020_english_table_output-2.png

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Top post! Henderson’s arguably been one Klopp’s best players, yet he didn’t buy him and Henderson wasn’t at the level he is now before Klopp came.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I think he’s just trying very hard to be the most insulting poster on AM. Like there’s a prize at the end of the season. He’s doing very well and in the lead I’d say. Ahead of @rich 1990 too. :lol:

He's a loser, tried to be insulting to me got humiliated and then put me on ignore. Can dish it out but can't take it, it's an honour for him to put me on ignore.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
To get to the very top level Liverpool had to make a fair few signings. Of course Klopp utilised some of the players he had whilst he was there, players that fit his style and way of playing. He sold Coutinho because he wasn't what Klopp wanted despite Coutinho being top tier at Liverpool.

Similarly Arteta is getting the best out of players that are already here in Holding, Tierney, Saka etc. He even got the best out of Ceballos who was terrible under Emery. You're also now seeing the best form from Lacazette in almost a season and a half.

Willian, Pepe and Auba may be underperforming, but you can't just say Arteta is blowing players up and then not applaud him for the top performers in the squad.

Iceman10

Established Member
To get to the very top level Liverpool had to make a fair few signings. Of course Klopp utilised some of the players he had whilst he was there, players that fit his style and way of playing. He sold Coutinho because he wasn't what Klopp wanted despite Coutinho being top tier at Liverpool.

Similarly Arteta is getting the best out of players that are already here in Holding, Tierney, Saka etc. He even got the best out of Ceballos who was terrible under Emery. You're also now seeing the best form from Lacazette in almost a season and a half.

Willian, Pepe and Auba may be underperforming, but you can't just say Arteta is blowing players up and then not applaud him for the top performers in the squad.

Whether Arteta is making the most of what he has is up for debate, particularly man management, and whether he is successfully bridging from a coach to a complete club manager suitable for a top football club. AMN and Guendouzi asset values have been hit very hard, among others, and whether that was all so necessary to get a certain culture in the dressing room, we won’t know for some time because there are unknowns with Arteta just as there have been with Lampard and Solksjaer.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Whether Arteta is making the most of what he has is up for debate, particularly man management, and whether he is successfully bridging from a coach to a complete club manager suitable for a top football club. AMN and Guendouzi asset values have been hit very hard, among others, and whether that was all so necessary to get a certain culture in the dressing room, we won’t know for some time because there are unknowns with Arteta just as there have been with Lampard and Solksjaer.

Judging by what's happened with Douzi at Hertha I think that was the correct decision. Can see why Arteta wanted rid.

AMN value won't get hit, hes young, homegrown and versatile. £20M for him even now is very feasible.

I'd agree in some aspects the man management hasn't been completely up to scratch. But I do agree with what Arteta is doing. You're either with me or you arent attitude and if you arent cya later. Best way to create a proper bond as a team and club.

Iceman10

Established Member
Judging by what's happened with Douzi at Hertha I think that was the correct decision. Can see why Arteta wanted rid.

AMN value won't get hit, hes young, homegrown and versatile. £20M for him even now is very feasible.

I'd agree in some aspects the man management hasn't been completely up to scratch. But I do agree with what Arteta is doing. You're either with me or you arent attitude and if you arent cya later. Best way to create a proper bond as a team and club.

Thought Douzi was doing ok at Hertha Berlin despite their mess and sacking of manager. Think I caught some rumours of a scuffle with a teammate or something like that over the last week, not sure if true, and whether that is attitude or saying the teammate needs to do more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom