• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we will have an OK season purely on the basis that our defence will come out on top against a lot of attacks in the league. The attack is a massive concern though, Arteta must know this. He's not going to change the way we play, so surley he has to bring someone in January who he thinks can improve the situation.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think we will have an OK season purely on the basis that our defence will come out on top against a lot of attacks in the league. The attack is a massive concern though, Arteta must know this. He's not going to change the way we play, so surley he has to bring someone in January who he thinks can improve the situation.
Like another coach.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
This is a bit problematic, because according to your metaphor on these grounds Guardiola never would've been given the job as CEO of one of the most important firms in the world (Barça).
Because Guardiola should treated as an anomaly. Let it be known. If any other firm hired someone with little to no managerial experience it would be seen as a gross act of nepotism. The board of directors would not allow such a thing to happen.

RunTheTrap

I find it funny that it’s guys like Arseblog who condemn MOTD or Talksport for lazy analysis and then to go and repeat one of the laziest things in punditry. “No men in this team”, Alan Hansen has retired, you know. We lost cos our manager didn’t prepare us properly.
Even Elliot from Arsevision has gone down a similar route and that guy gets a hard-on for everything data and analytics. We are buying too much into soft factors when the hard truth is staring us in the face. Arteta is not a good enough coach to take Arsenal to the next level. Everybody knows it. The data knows it. The fans know it.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Even Elliot from Arsevision has gone down a similar route and that guy gets a hard-on for everything data and analytics. We are buying too much into soft factors when the hard truth is staring us in the face. Arteta is not a good enough coach to take Arsenal to the next level. Everybody knows it. The data knows it. The fans know it.
It's cause his podcast buddies are getting all sorts of access from the club.

RunTheTrap

Arteta’s attack has been dire ever since he got here. In fact, it’s the one thing he’s been consistently poor with. I think we could have prime Neymar and Kane in our attack and we would still struggle to score goals. This is who Arteta is. Attacking play has always been an afterthought. His priorities have always been on structure and build-up play. I’m sorry but sometimes if someone shows you who they are, you need to accept it. Mourinho is a defensive coach. Doesn’t matter what set of players he has he will always want to defend.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Arteta’s attack has been dire ever since he got here. In fact, it’s the one thing he’s been consistently poor with. I think we could have prime Neymar and Kane in our attack and we would still struggle to score goals. This is who Arteta is. Attacking play has always been an afterthought. His priorities have always been on structure and build-up play. I’m sorry but sometimes if someone shows you who they are, you need to accept it. Mourinho is a defensive coach. Doesn’t matter what set of players he has he will always want to defend.

There were definitely moments when he first got here. But it was far from refined. And also, and I know this isn't popular at all, but Ozils influence was massive. Literally any attacking move or chance created during that period he had a massive part to play.

But since the start of the pandemic certainly ive not seen anything to suggest Arteta can turn us into a good attacking side, very little evidence to suggest so. People are holding out in hope with stuff like "oh he's sorted our defence now we'll get better in attack". Where the evidence? Auba has been neutered, Ødegaard largely ineffective. Pepe now a non factor. Mostly relying on set pieces and stuff like that, and if it wasn't for ESR and Saka we'd have absolutely zero creativity at all, and it's not like we have much as it is.

RunTheTrap

I find it annoying that so many people who I considered to be intelligent are selling out for Arteta because he’s the “cHoSEN OnE”. Low-key reminds me of the famous Monty Python film where someone pretends to be the messiah (I have shamefully forgotten the name). Everyone turns into idiots and drool over him because he used to be boys with Pep.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
As someone in A-M once said: Arteta is the only manager to make Auba score less than 20 goals a season.
That's how bad Arteta's been for our attackers.

What stat to prove this better than the fact that after 12 league games we still stand at a -4 GD ?
We scored only 13 goals (1.08 GPG) after 12 league games.🤯
When you check the goals scored from open play (only 8), it paints a damning picture of an impotent attack.

I assume the day when our GD crosses into positive territory, there will be a flurry of puff pieces in The Athletic about it, and many here in A-M will lap it up as "another significant step" for the process etc...

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I tend to agree, but what I'm getting at is he doesn't even help himself. We couldn't score goals last season, and our defensive stats were OK. What does he do? Spend the vast majority of the budget on defenders. What are we seeing this season? We cant create or score. He either has to change his style or buy players that fit his style. He's done neither.

He wants the 9 to be able to link play and be a threat from crosses for example, yet persists with Auba there when that just isn't his game and doesn't sign anyone that can do that job.

He's on record wanting to play 433, yet he doesn't sign the midfielders that can play that system. I like the fact they're going for young players, but I don't think they (Arteta and Edu) really know what they want to do with the team. Far too many mixed signals.

RunTheTrap

Pep is a faker as well, just had an easier start with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, and co. in his first team. Poor Mikel started with Xhaka and Elneny, which is rough tbh
Say what you want about Elneny and Xhaka but some coaches had it worse. Rodgers started his Swansea career with guys like Joe Allen and Leon Britton and still played more adventurous football than us.

RunTheTrap

My question to the Arteta supporters is: "when does it all click?" When do we start creating chances and pinning teams back? Is that not what we all expect/want from Pep Jr? January? March? I would like to know a timeframe and the cost because I just don't see it with Arteta. However, I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Obviously Tuchel is using it. Everybody uses stats. But he is making a point that they have done well in terms of xG. With the kind of logic AM uses though, Chelsea have not well relatively in terms of xG at all. They have overperformed the xG both in terms of goals conceded as well as goals scored and also in terms of expected points, they are below Liverpool and City. So no, Tuchel using it and the AM logic is not the same. Tuchel is saying that the opposition xG has been low which indicated they have defended pretty well which is true. He is not taking the extrapolated score of "expected points" and suggesting that Chelsea have been lucky to be on top of the league.
I’m not really making a point, just winding people up.

This all started because some people thought we were lucky while others thought “shut up and TrustTheProcess”. The former group used stats to support their argument so the latter tried to discredit said stats.

I notice people are starting to accuse the former group of neglecting the eye-test in favour of stats, which is far from the case.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I’m not really making a point, just winding people up.

This all started because some people thought we were lucky while others thought “shut up and TrustTheProcess”. The former group used stats to support their argument so the latter tried to discredit said stats.

I notice people are starting to accuse the former group of neglecting the eye-test in favour of stats, which is far from the case.
You actually started this in 16/17 when you showed that Özil and Alexis were out-performing the team's xG to an exceptional level, but that it wasn't sustainable and the team was in danger of missing out on the CL for the first time in 20 years unless others stepped up.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You actually started this in 16/17 when you showed that Özil and Alexis were out-performing the team's xG to an exceptional level, but that it wasn't sustainable and the team was in danger of missing out on the CL for the first time in 20 years unless others stepped up.
Did I?

Doesn’t sound like something I’d say way back then but I do surprise myself sometimes. I’ll take credit for it, thank you.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
As someone in A-M once said: Arteta is the only manager to make Auba score less than 20 goals a season.
That's how bad Arteta's been for our attackers.

What stat to prove this better than the fact that after 12 league games we still stand at a -4 GD ?
We scored only 13 goals (1.08 GPG) after 12 league games.🤯

I assume the day when our GD crosses into positive territory, there will be a flurry of puff pieces in The Athletic about it, and many here in A-M will lap it up as "another significant step" for the process etc...
Half of those 13 goals were set pieces and some of the others from lucky rebounds. Auba must be so p!ssed that he can’t do what he does best . . . feed off good attacking play.

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom