• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
True, but his teams actually under achieved imo. Especially the invincibles era. Anyway, that's an argument for another time.

My point is that Arsène had credit in the bank with several trophies won early & didn't have to be concerned about getting sacked etc. Whilst Arteta continues on a good trajectory but ultimately without major silverware, the question marks will hang.

Yeah, sure. For this Arteta project to be an unqualified success he needs to win the PL or CL, preferably both, at some point.

I think particularly while we're in an upward trajectory it's kind of crazy to be calling for him to be removed if we don't win anything this season.

High standards are good but they've got to be somewhat fair.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If we, from the position we are in, choke again & fall away, then questions really do have to be asked....

We've choked in previous two seasons, a third would be embarrassing & would create an unwanted narrative associated with his managerial credentials.
They didn't fire Arteta in the worst period. They won't fire him any time soon now either.

The leadership doesn't care about pundit and fan narratives and banter. It's a young team, and performances can vary regardless of the manager.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Yeah, sure. For this Arteta project to be an unqualified success he needs to win the PL or CL, preferably both, at some point.

I think particularly while we're in an upward trajectory it's kind of crazy to be calling for him to be removed if we don't win anything this season.

High standards are good but they've got to be somewhat fair.

I think regardless if he himself wins the CL or PL or not it’s an unequivocal success for the club.

We’re now in a position where we have a squad to challenge for the next 5 years and also have the owners on board to spend big.

If Arteta goes then the next managers goal is to win the title and the only reason why they’d be able to do that is due to what Arteta and Edu have built.

drippin

I think you can forgive people for being disappointed and feeling it's an opportunity missed especially because we don't know what next year's gonna be like.
Loved all those doom mongers saying last season was Arsenal's last chance.

Couldn't have been more wrong. It was obvious that this young team will only get better and better, with only minor bumps in the road.

Arteta is building a unit. It's very important they play together for a few seasons, so the team knows exactly how to play together. Klopp and Pep have had this luxury, Arteta is just beginning to have it.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I think he needs 1 more window to build a squad which can compete equally with Liverpool & City on all fronts.

We are very close, but he has demonstrated he is overly reliant on his 1st eleven & not many players outside this are given the same level of trust. We all know the players in question & I think we will see a bit of movement in the summer on that front.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

I think he needs 1 more window to build a squad which can compete equally with Liverpool & City on all fronts.

We are very close, but he has demonstrated he is overly reliant on his 1st eleven & not many players outside this are given the same level of trust. We all know the players in question & I think we will see a bit of movement in the summer on that front.

We are competing with them both, the difference is we’re heavily reliant on your young attackers to be the difference makers every game.

That’s why we need a special attacking player this summer.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
All this talk about how 'questions need to be asked' when we're top of the league at the end of March AGAIN and in the last 8 of the CL.

This is AM in July 2023:

Anywhere from 2nd to 4th. Right now I'd say 2nd but not with any certainty. I don't think their will be as big a gap from whoever is top 2 down to 3rd and 4th this season either.
Voted second, even if we have a dream end to the transfer window, addressing all our needs. I do think we will address all our needs, by bringing in one or two more after Rice, Havertz and Timber.

Think an available squad sets us up well next year, still not enough to beat City I think, still but a stronger team no doubt.
Basically need Haaland and KDB to be out long term then Gvardiol to flop.

Real tough ask to win the title even if we’ve made a big leap forward in the transfer market.

Think we’re well placed to get second again and hopefully a deep CL run although I worry about goalscorers for us in knockout matches.
I say third
3rd in the league. Could change if we sign a forward and midfielder but I doubt we'd go for both unless we make huge profit from sales.
Third, one of the cups and CL semi
1st should be the target.
2nd - Par.
3rd- Mildy disappointing.
Lower than 3rd not acceptable.

Go very deep in the CL and maybe that would change though as I would favour the CL over the PL if I had to choose.
2nd or 3rd should be doable, don't rate our rivals. CL we're going out group stage or Ro16, our European record is atrocious with or without Arteta.
CL and deeper cup runs will make it more difficult than last year. We should make top 4 though. Not sure where our squad cost lies until the figures come out, probably 4th, so anything above that and we can’t really complain.

Expecting all those who thought top 4 was a big yawn not long ago to say ‘title’ or ‘he goes’, after only having one top 4 finish in 31/2 years. They won’t of course. A couple of years of mid table seems to have cured them

No names added because there aren't any bold statements, besides @Macho

Can't call it because of CL, I think it depends on how far we go in that as it might pull at our resources.

I think a lot of teams falling asleep at the wheel had a bit to do with the 2nd place finish last season, so anywhere from 3rd-5th finish wouldn't surprise me.

Will be a great quote for some when we challenge for the entire season again now that I've posted this.

In all seriousness, nobody would fire a coach if there wasn't any silverware after this.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
This squad is very near completion really, an elite attacker and perhaps an 8 of a certain calibre/type and we just need to shift some deadwood and replace any outgoings, keep this group together for 5-7 years and then rebuild around 2030 again. Saka, Martinelli and Saliba will only be 28 in 2030 :lol: This is when the Arsenal FC coffers get refilled as we won't have to invest as heavily but will be challenging with deep runs in the CL every season in all likelihood.

Last edited:

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
All this talk about how 'questions need to be asked' when we're top of the league at the end of March AGAIN and in the last 8 of the CL.

This is AM in July 2023:

In all seriousness, nobody would fire a coach if there wasn't any silverware after this.
So because fans on AM anticipated something happening and it seems like we'll perform better than those posts nobody would sack him? What kinda argument is that?

If this was the first second or third year maybe. Arteta is about to enter his fifth season and he's been backed massively in the market. Kroenke 100% won't do it but plenty of other clubs most definitely would have him walk if after a trillion pounds his only trophy was won during covid.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Some of the posts in here calling for his head are simply pathetic. The delusion is next level.

Well yeah, but being fair most of the formerly Arteta Outers are backing him now and happy with the job he's doing.

There's a tiny fringe that will want him sacked no matter what and I doubt most of their reasons are football related.

CannonBals

I think regardless if he himself wins the CL or PL or not it’s an unequivocal success for the club.

We’re now in a position where we have a squad to challenge for the next 5 years and also have the owners on board to spend big.

If Arteta goes then the next managers goal is to win the title and the only reason why they’d be able to do that is due to what Arteta and Edu have built.

Yup... I have no idea where this fire Arteta noise is coming from. As long as we are in top4 and we keep pushing for the title his position is safe.

Offcourse with the money we are spending KSE would want to win but if we look around others are spending more than us and we started from worse position.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
So because fans on AM anticipated something happening and it seems like we'll perform better than those posts nobody would sack him? What kinda argument is that?

If this was the first second or third year maybe. Arteta is about to enter his fifth season and he's been backed massively in the market. Kroenke 100% won't do it but plenty of other clubs most definitely would have him walk if after a trillion pounds his only trophy was won during covid.

Lol. People didn't expect the league or the CL, but we're topping the league (again) in March and are in the QF's of the CL. Despite things not being a level playing field, with 115 charges FC in there. Especially when you look at where the team was coming from. Post 2016, we were the laughing stock of the league.

What kind of argument is it to say that 'plenty of other teams would have him walk after big investments'? We are not Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern, and I can't imagine many more clubs that would do this.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Lol. People didn't expect the league or the CL, but we're topping the league (again) in March and are in the QF's of the CL. Despite things not being a level playing field, with 115 charges FC in there. Especially when you look at where the team was coming from. Post 2016, we were the laughing stock of the league.

What kind of argument is it to say that 'plenty of other teams would have him walk after big investments'? We are not Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern, and I can't imagine many more clubs that would do this.
What kind of argument is "especially where we came from"? If he stays competing like now until 2030 and we don't win a single title is that enough for him to walk? 2040? At what point do you start asking questions?

He'd have won himself a lot more leeway if he hadn't messed up every cup competition in four seasons (bar CL this year). A Europa League title or a couple FA Cups and competing for the league would've gone a long way, if we end up 2nd or 3rd this season with no titles what did he actually achieve? He didn't create a challenging team from academy players he's spent ****loads of money.

drippin

It's an argument especially opposition fans want to make, because Arsenal is obviously at a place where they challenge constantly for titles.

It's the only thing that can be criticized about Arteta. Along with his "nasty personality" (while they forget Klopp, Pep, Ten Hag or even Ange for example who are similar or worse). And they forget how much other clubs have spent. They have nothing else.

Soon Arteta has built especially a starting eleven that has been together for a couple of years, like Klopp and Pep have had when winning. That is very important for getting the squad working like a proper unit. And the players are only coming to their primes.

The project has taken a bit of a step back because of players turning out injury-prone, so next season we can only start to expect trophies, especially the domestic cups. As the quality depth hasn't really been there yet.

Luckily we know from Arteta's worst period that the club management can see the context of the situation, and know that changing a manager will always bring a risk. A risk that is obviously not worth taking any time soon.

Here is a recent example from Tottenham forum:

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
What kind of argument is "especially where we came from"? If he stays competing like now until 2030 and we don't win a single title is that enough for him to walk? 2040? At what point do you start asking questions?

He'd have won himself a lot more leeway if he hadn't messed up every cup competition in four seasons (bar CL this year). A Europa League title or a couple FA Cups and competing for the league would've gone a long way, if we end up 2nd or 3rd this season with no titles what did he actually achieve? He didn't create a challenging team from academy players he's spent ****loads of money.

I don't measure success by trophies alone. An extra FA Cup along the way wouldn't make his career that much better for me. Sure, if he doesn't win anything before 2030, you can't call his tenure successful.

But we haven't been this good and enjoyable to watch since 2015/2016, and we're considered title challengers and 'one of the best teams in Europe'. If we lose out to City in the end, it's disappointing but no reason to sack him. No matter how much some of you can't stand him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
"The squad is young and will improve next season"

...is always a dangerous thing to say, you never know how the future will turn out.

Don't forget this summer Saka and Saliba will only have 3 years on their deals, and if we don't win anything by 2025 them I think both will ask to leave.

Even winning cups could buy us some more time, we shouldn't be turning our noses up at any trophies.

Wenger helped make us the most successful ever team in the FA cup, I am more proud of that than our Invincible season as to "own" a trophy is very special.

If he stays here for another few years and we always challenge and play good football but never win anything, that's not good enough for Arsenal.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I did expect CL places but I didn't expect another title challenge admittedly. Bad take I can admit it.

I wouldn't do victory laps just yet though. There's a lot of "look how awful every player is except our players" on here I can smell a humbling and striker wishlist in the air.

I think this is a good season regardless of how it ends anyways and I think winning a major is huge over performance, we have no right winning a major just yet.

drippin

Don't forget this summer Saka and Saliba will only have 3 years on their deals, and if we don't win anything by 2025 them I think both will ask to leave.
Saka won't be wanting to leave if Arsenal keeps challenging like this, even without trophies. :lol: He is 22,5 years old. Where do you think he would go?

Saliba maybe, but he is clearly a true Gooner too.

Fear mongers assemble!

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould
Top Bottom