• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Haphazard

At risk of repeating myself, Ill ask again. How is it that those six signings have integrated so well? Especially no name brand players. If Arteta and Edu are so useless, who did the planning for our spending last summer?

We cant have it both ways, either Arteta and Edu are useless or they arent. I could accept the argument that they are not completely useless and not completely good, somewhere in between. And if that's the argument we make here, then it still doesnt explain how we have invested so well over the window.
Tavares/Lokonga have had far more poor performances than good ones

Tomi/Ramsdale/White - the jury is still out, the hallmark of a good player is having a standard of performance over multiple seasons not keeping clean sheets against Leeds/Norwich then getting pasted by Liverpool/City/Chelsea anyway. Our standards have fallen so far that we are already calling these players resounding successes while we still lose the big games and sit in 7th place halfway through the season.

Arteta/Edu have done some things right but for the most part have been failures.

sdotzdot

Established Member
I was questioning whether our vastly improved attacking play was down to him finally moving forward up the pitch in his coaching after “successfully” stabilising the defence, or, if it was purely just down to momentum + opposition.

Have to say, it’s looking likely to be the latter and this is a very worrying sign for Arteta.

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
He’s the worst manager in the league for me. Spent the most money in Europe and there’s been no real improvement from previous seasons. Lost 7 games already as well. Lose against Wolves and we’re down to 8th. Where’s this process everyone’s harping about? It’s still the same old rubbish.

Football Head

Lord Conspiracy

Even his looks are overrated

FAOJmLmUUAAQDjM

Kav

Established Member
Boy you know the Arteta defense league is running out of ammunition when they have to resort to using the summer transfer deals as evidence of positivity. Why aren’t they talking about the performances and results?

Let’s be real here the man has been mediocre but they will have you thinking he’s a special manager. It’s his first job and he hasn’t even shown the world he’s a good manager yet much less special a special one.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Boy you know the Arteta defense league is running out of ammunition when they have to resort to using the summer transfer deals as evidence of positivity. Why aren’t they talking about the performances and results?

Let’s be real here the man has been mediocre but they will have you thinking he’s a special manager. It’s his first job and he hasn’t even shown the world he’s a good manager yet much less special a special one.

But there are positive performances and results this season, a definite improvement on what we have seen in recent years. City home, recent Liverpool away, West Ham home, Southampton home, Leicester away, Sp**s home come to mind for me. Namely performances where I can identify a framework that has been developed and is being worked on.

You can look at improved performances in all three phases of our game. Our buildup has continued being effective, this evident since the beginning of the season. Defensively we arent holding onto dear life anymore, being able to manage some of the league's best teams attacking for long periods. Our attacking play has become more effective and purposeful with clear patterns emerging. Our midfield play has remained inconsistent, but when it came together as in the City game for example, it looked magnificent.

I wont talk about signings, because you think that's all I got when analysing the overall squad development and movement.

To be fair to those who dont rate Arteta and want him gone, you can point to Burnley home, Everton away, United away, Brentford away as examples of incompetence, and that's fine as well. Brain farts from players like Tavares, Xhaka and other squad related issues Arteta creates for himself.

Now, we've been here before. You can look at absolutes and that is your right. I prefer to look at the actual developments and evaluate them in addition to the big picture. Of course things arent where we want them to be, but you wont see me tossing out everything that has happened because of our current situation.

Last edited:

Kav

Established Member
But there are positive performances and results this season, a definite improvement on what we have seen in recent years. City home, recent Liverpool away, West Ham home, Southampton home, Leicester away, Sp**s home come to mind for me. Namely performances where I can identify a framework that has been developed and is being worked on.

You can look at improved performances in all three phases of our game. Our buildup has continued being effective, this evident since the beginning of the season. Defensively we arent holding onto dear life anymore, being able to manage some of the league's best teams attacking for long periods. Our attacking play has become more effective and purposeful with clear patterns emerging. Our midfield play has remained inconsistent, but when it came together as in the City game for example, it looked magnificent.

I wont talk about signings, because you think that's all I got when analysing the overall squad development and movement.

To be fair to those who dont rate Arteta and want him gone, you can point to Burnley home, Everton away, United away, Brentford away as examples of incompetence, and that's fine as well. Brain farts from players like Tavares, Xhaka and other squad related issues Arteta creates for himself.

Now, we've been here before. You can look at absolutes and that is your right. I prefer to look at the actual developments and evaluate them in addition to the big picture. Of course things arent where we want them to be, but you wont see me tossing out everything that has happened because of our current situation.
That’s much better. I don’t think tangential discussions like signings are evidence of progress. What it is evidence of is our economic power and to some degree our reputation and stature as a club.

I wouldn’t go too much into that to ascribe anything to the manager as yet.

As for the performances I agree that they have been improved from the turgid displays earlier into the season however our general performances have been rather dull and this includes the so called good run of results we had recently. We play like a mid table team and we get shown up each time we meet decent opposition. Our best game was probably the city performance but if we are being honest that one was a outlier in comparison to all the other ones.

Our players knew the dangers the city players possessed and put their minds to the tasks at hand. While still willing to have a go at them. In other games they seem to just mentally clock out and don’t have that awareness which results in those moments you call brain farts. That to me is both a psychological issue and coaching thing.

It’s not even a matter of absolutes it’s a matter of progression and consistency. You watch our games and tell me how many times you see us fail to penetrate teams that don’t press?

Tell me how many times you have seen us fail to string together 6 passes when playing the better teams? Progression means imprinting yourself on games. Instead we are passive.

We are also not consistent in developing the phases of play. This season especially we tend spend the majority of the games trying to bore both the opponents and fans to death with the U shaped passing. It’s annoying to know exactly what Tierney, Saka, Tomiyasu, Xhaka,Gabriel and White are going to do with the ball before they even do it. Where is the progression that you speak of in this regard?

That’s without getting into the impotence in front of goal ( we haven’t scored in 6 league games). If he can fix our attack I am willing to give him time but he’s already had 2 years here and our attack looks so mediocre.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
@Kav

Reading your post I see we have the same frustration, namely that the team is not progressing quickly and consistently enough, especially for the level of investment made under this management team. Its a weakness that Arteta has, and in addition to other problems its areas that need rapid improvement.

Here's the problem though, we are in a situation where the board do not think like you and if latest new contract rumours are to be believed, then you are in for a rough ride buddy.

Which is why I keep asking you the same question. Is it becaue the board are clueless, proud, desperate to make things work, incompetent, willing to piss money away, or all of the above? Or does the internal opinion and analysis show that the Arteta project stumbling along to eventually reach the promised land, thus justifying the growing pains.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Yawn.......... there was plenty of positive performances and results in Emery's first season too, and he didn't get to spend as much money as Arteta has. And look at how his second season turned out.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yawn.......... there was plenty of positive performances and results in Emery's first season too, and he didn't get to spend as much money as Arteta has. And look at how his second season turned out.

For real. Leicester at home, Fulham away but then more importantly Sp**s at home, Chelsea at home, United at home and then the EL games vs Napoli and Valencia we showed absolutely loads of promise and they were all impressive performances a lot of them in massive games (not vs Leeds, Southampton and Norwich). We could have easily used all this as justification to keep backing Emery but we didn't. And this was without him being backed even 10% as much as Arteta has been backed.

BIoodBrother

For real. Leicester at home, Fulham away but then more importantly Sp**s at home, Chelsea at home, United at home and then the EL games vs Napoli and Valencia we showed absolutely loads of promise and they were all impressive performances a lot of them in massive games (not vs Leeds, Southampton and Norwich). We could have easily used all this as justification to keep backing Emery but we didn't. And this was without him being backed even 10% as much as Arteta has been backed.

Emery was perfect for Arteta. Now he can do the same as him but slowly improve from 8th and its succes.
Kroenke might even be happy with a club that delivers youth and selling value thru academy and aint even interested in CL Money that much.

Just that Auba Money after Özil makes everyone look so foolish.

Top Bottom