• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Legitimate question for all. What has improved in Arteta’s reign vs Emery.l?

I won’t go as far back as Wenger’s tenure because the squad is entirely different as well as the coaching and support staff available. Very few constant factors to make any useful comparisons there.

How has mid table Mik improved Arsenal?

I want to see the positives of him being in the job and to consider what if any hope we as fans can have for this club. Especially since it appears our ownership is impotent and unable to get the business done of terminating his employment.

Most of you may know that I thinks he’s a **** manager but maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am missing something. Enlightenment me, anyone!

I'm probably on a bit of a hiding to nothing here but if I were to pick one thing it would be squad unity.

Fans may have their issues with the results / performances but the players seem invested in Arteta, which to me is the most important thing.

If he'd have lost the players he would have been gone in the new year. The players could have got him sacked. There's been no downing tools like there appeared to be in the latter stages of Emery's reign here.

That's at least one positive to look at going into the next season 🙂

TimoJens

Formerly known as highbury_2006
It will bother the hell out of me when he tries to portray the conference nonsense as something that isnt utterly embarrasing.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

You and R. Kelly.
tenor.gif

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
5. League depth: finally as good as fans and commentators always say it is

There's no question that the coronavirus and its resulting fixture congestion created a unique landscape for European soccer in 2020-21. There were seemingly more injuries and key absences to deal with, and plenty of dominant powers have found the road a little bumpier than normal. Juve's long Serie A title streak has come to an end, PSG's Ligue 1 fate is in Lille's hands -- if Lille beats Angers on Sunday, Les Dogues win the title -- and while Bayern Munich won the Bundesliga for a ninth straight season, they will end up with their lowest point total of that streak.

In that way, then, the lack of true dominance atop this year's Premier League comes with some baked-in context. At most, we will see three teams top 70 points (third-place Chelsea has 67 with one match to play) when five teams did it in five of the past eight Premier League seasons. City's 83 points are the second-lowest total for a champion in the past nine years.
There is another factor, however, that is rather undeniable at this point: The Premier League has some capital-D Depth. Outside of England's Big 6, quite a few clubs have crafted an identity around a high-level manager and exciting young talent. The list neither starts nor ends with Bielsa's Leeds.

- At worst, Brendan Rodgers' Leicester City, with its truckload of 24-and-under stars, will finish fifth, ahead of at least two of the "Big 6," for the second straight year.

- David Moyes' West Ham United, with its lanky roster and counterpunching ability, will finish with, at worst, its second-best top-division point total since 1985-86.

- Everton, with Dominic Calvert-Lewin, James Rodriguez and Champions League-winning manager Carlo Ancelotti, have beaten Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Sp**s and Arsenal (twice) this season.

- Aston Villa narrowly survived relegation last season but have crafted a unique, dangerous attack around Jack Grealish, newcomer Ollie Watkins and company. They beat Liverpool and Arsenal by a combined 10-2 during a hot start.

Nuno Espirito Santo's Wolves are still crafty and reactive, Sean Dyche's Burnley remain stubborn and Burnley-esque despite adding almost nobody last offseason, and Southampton and Brighton, under Ralph Hasenhuttl and Graham Potter, have crafted respectable -- and sometimes dangerous -- possession games despite financial disadvantages. Of the league's 14 non-superpowers, at least nine had legitimately interesting plans and managers and players capable of carrying them out this season. It's an exciting thing to watch.

Kind of thing that commentators and anyone with some common sense can see (changing league environment, league depth, especially from 4-10, really actually living up to its reputation), but for some reason (doesn't fit with rabid, nuance-less agendas?) is taboo to mention on A-M...

Squillaci

I'm probably on a bit of a hiding to nothing here but if I were to pick one thing it would be squad unity.

Fans may have their issues with the results / performances but the players seem invested in Arteta, which to me is the most important thing.

If he'd have lost the players he would have been gone in the new year. The players could have got him sacked. There's been no downing tools like there appeared to be in the latter stages of Emery's reign here.

That's at least one positive to look at going into the next season 🙂
I don't get the impression they are invested as they were at first. Playing slow and ,,calculated" is all nice if you are winning games, but with these results, I would think couple of players are fed up with his nonsense tactics and bad man management.

Iceman10

Established Member
Legitimate question for all. What has improved in Arteta’s reign vs Emery.l?

I won’t go as far back as Wenger’s tenure because the squad is entirely different as well as the coaching and support staff available. Very few constant factors to make any useful comparisons there.

How has mid table Mik improved Arsenal?

I want to see the positives of him being in the job and to consider what if any hope we as fans can have for this club. Especially since it appears our ownership is impotent and unable to get the business done of terminating his employment.

Most of you may know that I thinks he’s a **** manager but maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am missing something. Enlightenment me, anyone!
If we had a proper Technical Director overseeing long term squad development and vision I really wouldn't be so much bothered about Arteta but we have Edu without.a proven record and gravitas, and we have blurred lines regarding distinct responsibilities and hierarchy since Arteta's "promotion". I bring this up because obviously the squad will always change over time and we did offload some players in January, even though there is still more to do with true #ruthless to back up words of Arteta. We also have progression of ESR this season to add to Saka who had already broken through last season, although the matter of whether ESR coming in was part of any real plan or not is a separate topic in of itself, and hence why a lot of us are looking closely at what will play out with Martinelli and others.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
A manager in the level of Artera/Lampard had Chelsea and Arsenal fighting for the same spot and points. Then Chelsea got Tuchel and now they are in CL final.

I know what we need here but not everyone is prepared to have that conversation. Logic is not for everyone. WC managers do wonders... Makes you think.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
A manager in the level of Artera/Lampard had Chelsea and Arsenal fighting for the same spot and points. Then Chelsea got Tuchel and now they are in CL final.

I know what we need here but not everyone is prepared to have that conversation. Logic is not for everyone. WC managers do wonders... Makes you think.

Tuchel could come 5th and not win a trophy btw.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arsenal is performing well below it's squad cost of 5th, something Emery didn't do and Wenger only did once in 22 years.

We've invested £300m in players over the last three years and we're currently 9th in the league. More than West Ham who are ahead of us, and 3 times more than Leeds, who may beat us if we lose to Brighton.

This is not the Arsenal I know, Arteta needs to leave.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Arsenal is performing well below it's squad cost of 5th, something Emery didn't do and Wenger only did once in 22 years.

We've invested £300m in players over the last three years and we're currently 9th in the league. More than West Ham who are ahead of us, and 3 times more than Leeds, who may beat us if we lose to Brighton.

Worst manager in the league

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Why mention squad cost and then mention spend over the past 3 years to make points? Pick one or the other. Because our spend over the past 3 years is almost as much as City, our wage bill is also in the top 3.

But Wenger handed out too many huge contracts to bums, hence why we are in this predicament.

We've spent the money since 2013 to win a title, we haven't spend the money to challenge for titles consistently.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Only Sp**s fans want Teta in now, simple as that.

Correction Sp**s fans and the 32 mugs that voted yes in the poll above (give or take up to around 5 that voted yes by accident - not so subtle dig and the poll set-up :eek:ops: ).

Edit: I see that homeboy @Riou is amongst them......

Latest posts+

Top Bottom