• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’ve seen nothing to suggest 7th or lower would get Arteta the sack. Unless it led to revolts on match days and the board were forced to act.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I’ve seen nothing to suggest 7th or lower would get Arteta the sack. Unless it led to revolts on match days and the board were forced to act.

But what kind of suggestions would you ever see?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

But what kind of suggestions would you ever see?
If Edu had said "finishing like we did last season is unacceptable" then that would be a suggestion.

Instead he said it doesn't matter if we finish 10th I care about the future, or something along those lines.

There's no number on what an unacceptable season looks like, this season for me is more about getting our 1st team as many games together as possible. How can Arteta realistically fail?

mpower2540

For me, if we got top 4 this season I wouldn't complain about Arteta if we played the same kind of workmanlike / bit lucky football we've seen over most of his spell. I think getting back in the CL and the revenue that brings trump's anything performance related.
He'd get a free pass for me on everything performance wise in the unlikely event he gets top 4 and I'd strongly back him going into next season.

5-6th and playing more consistently to the level we did against Villa / Sp**s against sides we should beat and similar quality sides to us and I'd be fairly content and would mildly back him going into his 3rd season. A general improvement in play against the 3-4 better teams in the league is all I ask even if the results aren't there this season.

5-6th but carrying on in a similar vein performance wise as we've seen.
This would be the problematic outcome for me and one I feel may be the most likely.
Very 50/50 if he should carry on.

7th or below would be intolerable to me irrespective of performance improvement or bad luck or whatever. I can't think of a situation where finishing in such a position wouldn't warrant Mikel being sacked. 2.5 years to still be pretty much where we were when he took over would be intolerable.
We ain’t getting top 4 playing that way no matter how much luck we have. Eventually the underlying trends catch up with you. Relying on retreating into a mid/low block and scoring from the one or two chances we create a game isn’t sustainable over a season.

Tbh I think he’s a very very lucky man in that his key changes/upturn in results have come when his key players/favourites haven’t been available and he’s been forced to try something different.

We saw it when he had to bring ESR in for Chelsea last year when Willian was unavailable and this season against Villa both Tierney and Xhaka weren’t there so he was forced to try something different. I mean at least he did change it but these decisions owe a lot to fortune as much as tactical sharpness imo.

Villa, I know was one game, was our best 90 minute performance I’ve seen under him. There were things in there that screamed out what we are as a team and where our strengths lie. I feel even Arteta has to recognise that now. If he does then, I think performances will come and the results should take care of themselves

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

If Edu had said "finishing like we did last season is unacceptable" then that would be a suggestion.

Instead he said it doesn't matter if we finish 10th I care about the future, or something along those lines.

There's no number on what an unacceptable season looks like, this season for me is more about getting our 1st team as many games together as possible. How can Arteta realistically fail?

Yeah but people in football never really say how they actually feel to 'protect' see it all the time, especially from the board. We have no idea what Arteta's targets are this season, so no one really knows what counts as failure. Only way we'll find out is when he's sacked or when the season finishes.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
For me, if we got top 4 this season I wouldn't complain about Arteta if we played the same kind of workmanlike / bit lucky football we've seen over most of his spell. I think getting back in the CL and the revenue that brings trump's anything performance related.
He'd get a free pass for me on everything performance wise in the unlikely event he gets top 4 and I'd strongly back him going into next season.

5-6th and playing more consistently to the level we did against Villa / Sp**s against sides we should beat and similar quality sides to us and I'd be fairly content and would mildly back him going into his 3rd season. A general improvement in play against the 3-4 better teams in the league is all I ask even if the results aren't there this season.

This would be the problematic outcome for me and one I feel may be the most likely.

7th or below would be intolerable to me irrespective of performance improvement or bad luck or whatever. I can't think of a situation where finishing in such a position wouldn't warrant Mikel being sacked. 2.5 years to still be pretty much where we were when he took over would be intolerable.
This is where I am at as well

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The issue for me is I can easily see us finishing 6th with bipolar football and nothing really being resolved.

We’re stuck in the Ole cycle now where we’re just good enough to keep his job but nowhere near contending where we want to be.

We’ve got a midtable xG number with a bottom 5 xG against. I think we’ve really got a ceiling on on where we’ll finish and how consistently we’ll get results.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Arteta’s contract means a decision will be made one way or another. At the end of the season they’ll need to extend it or bin him. I’m not sure they extend it if there’s no real improvement on last season.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The issue for me is I can easily see us finishing 6th with bipolar football and nothing really being resolved.

We’re stuck in the Ole cycle now where we’re just good enough to keep his job but nowhere near contending where we want to be.

We’ve got a midtable xG number with a bottom 5 xG against. I think we’ve really got a ceiling on on where we’ll finish and how consistently we’ll get results.

That would be the worst possible scenario and I feel probably the most likely to happen.

I'd veer towards wanting him sacked in that scenario.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
At what point do the majority of us accept the process is working?

Was looking at the manager wish list and I did wonder. Guy hasn't lost in a minute, his line ups are (imo) spot on. His summer signings are doing what they are supposed to do.

What's it gonna take?

For me its going to be consistency in our performances, and a level of season performance which is acceptable for the investment made in this squad.

I can somewhat see what he is trying to do on the field. And whereas it doesnt have the consistency it needs yet, it is clear that work is being done behind the scenes to address in game issues, with improvements coming on as soon as the next game. Still very much hit and miss at the moment, so its important that we solidify more and more as the season progresses. We cannot for example be struggling with the basics, as we did a few weeks ago against Brighton.

The second point is a suitable position for our investment, taking into consideration the manager and his own development. This team is good enough to finish in the top six this year and we should be aiming for that. Anything below 6th I will classify as a failure this season.

Overall there is progress being made on this work in progress, and that is critical to me. Match results do have a tendency to mask the quality of performance and development as a team, so I feel its important for us to see the performance for what it actually is and judge it from there.

I give Mikel 4/10 at the moment, he hasn't passed yet, but he qualifies for a supplementary exam.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Which unbeaten run is more deceiving, this one or the Emery one?

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I wouldn't say Emery's run was deceiving as it was not based on luck. His attack was one dimensional but effective for a period of time. As with all one dimensional attacks, other teams eventually figured out that if you cut the attack through left wing to Auba, the team doesn't know how to score goals. And it was a nightmare after that.

Arteta's run is more deceiving IMO.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

749672DC-EED4-4F7C-9BA5-1AAF0ACA9E10.jpeg

This is slightly worrying 😬

Also an xG against in the bottom 5 and worse than Burnley is a major 🚩

Attachments

• 8E549040-5C46-4296-A697-9BE3D03E260B.jpeg
    8E549040-5C46-4296-A697-9BE3D03E260B.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 7

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This one.

Emery's unbeaten run wasn't that bad. We rode our luck at times but but we also played some good football I'm there too. We destroyed Poch's Sp**s, beat Leicester in what is probably our best game in the last three years. Even put a few past past Fulham.

But for the most part, we were creating chances albeit through Kola but it was actually effective until teams began to figure it out.

Mind you, he did all these with a midfield of Xhaka and Torreira, and also Kola as our main creative outlet. Don't get why he doesn't get get respect he deserves on here.

blrgooner

Established Member
View attachment 4882

This is slightly worrying 😬

Also an xG against in the bottom 5 and worse than Burnley is a major 🚩
Well.. that xG stat is highly skewed by the first few games. If we look at it after the first 3 games( When we were disastrously poor), we have the second best xG Against. I wouldn`t read much into it as of now(Though I am a big supporter of xG stats).
Atleast xG stats don`t show that the "unbeaten run" ( I find it silly to call anything less than 10-15 games a run) is deceiving.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Decent statistic.

The football is still dreary on the whole however, so its key that we improve in our overall game play as well.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Hold on, THIS is the amazing unbeaten run everyone is going on about? :lol: I thought we were on about Arteta's first few months in charge.

It's been like what? 7 games? Is this where the standards are at? I swear Emery's was 22 games.
Yeah. Emery went on a long unbeaten run (including a 9 league winning streak) but but till this day A-M is still crying about it and calling it unconvincing. But Arteta's 7 game unbeaten run while playing some soul crushing football is being lauded by A-M.

Top Bottom