• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Kav

Established Member
I wish that were true but football fans are emotional and unreasonable. Just last weekend Brighton fans were booing Potter for not winning a game. A club that has no business competing for European places but the fans aren’t happy in 9th place and one point off the Conference league. Football fans are entitled and problematic and Wenger has outgrown the need to satisfy them.

Indeed I noticed that the sea gulls fans were booing the team. I was shocked. Do they forget that they were in the championship not too long ago.

It’s that kind of entitlement that annoys me from football fans. No one has any given right to win games or trophies.

mirrorstares

Brighton does have business competing for European places, the way the talent of the manager raises the level of the team makes them aware of that. They have seen the improvement and know the standard has elevated, to a point they can dream with that kind of stuff because what they see every week gives them enough evidence. Someone that can shoot on target seems to be the only missing piece.

They boo for the same reason a lot of people here accept the horrors of Mikel Arteta as if we were a team that "has business" being midtable, basically.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I wish that were true but football fans are emotional and unreasonable. Just last weekend Brighton fans were booing Potter for not winning a game. A club that has no business competing for European places but the fans aren’t happy in 9th place and one point off the Conference league. Football fans are entitled and problematic and Wenger has outgrown the need to satisfy them.
I think enough time has past for Arsène to return & be respected but ok maybe to be sure wait a little longer for any remaining numpties?
99% of the negative emotional response from fans is usually towards the incumbent manager or board tbh.

You only have to browse twitter, any football forum (including this one) to know basically as a manager you dont win every game playing beautiful football people want you sacked.

it is this type of entitled mentality of the deluded modern fans that infuriates me the most.

This has always gone on to some extent, even pre internet its just that managers used to get more time.
The rumour was Ferguson almost got potted at Man U after around 3 years? He didnt & went on to be their most successful manager ever.

No way he would get that time in the current climate.

As a football manager you are lucky to get a few months without idiots baying for your blood nowadays.

I am always prepared to give managers time to build unless its a disaster.

Fact is by the very nature of the sport at any one time only so many teams can be doing really well.

Problem is the more successful you are the more entitled the fans feel.

Look at Sp**s who have finished above us for 5 years after being meh & bang average for like 50!

Poch does great stuff for a number of years with a youngish team, largely on the back of Kane & Son & he has good league finishes & gets to a champs league final. (although it has to be said little actual silverware)

They have a brand new stadium & the fans start thinking/expecting they are going to win trophies & are established top 4.
They think they have steamed past us & are gonna stay compering with the big boys.

What they dont actually realise is how hard it is to stay at that level and compete with Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool & Man U etc year in year out.

They are now on their 4th manager since Poch.

Everyone agrees Conte is an absolutely elite level manager. Many wanted him here.

He should certainly be able to finish above us with a rookie at the helm.
they have done so consistently for the last 5 years tbf.

However you cannot say he guarantees them top 4 again.

If he finishes 5th are their now entitled fans gonna be happy?

Sorry rant over. Its just i see a very good manager in potter raising expectations but then having to deal with the entitled fans mentality.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member
Edu is saying he has spoken to Wenger about coming back.

Come back to do what? Wenger is absolutely not coming back to be Arteta and Edu's underling. If they need his advice they can get it without him having a formal role. If they want Wenger back just to be a shield for them like Ferguson shielded Ole then it is already proven that fans will not hesitate to torch Wenger when things go wrong enough, so that is a terrible idea.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Come back to do what? Wenger is absolutely not coming back to be Arteta and Edu's underling. If they need his advice they can get it without him having a formal role. If they want Wenger back just to be a shield for them like Ferguson shielded Ole then it is already proven that fans will not hesitate to torch Wenger when things go wrong enough, so that is a terrible idea.
I have heard this argument but Ole wasn’t shielded by Ferguson for long, they had a pretty good season last year. I don’t think anyone in the fan base want Arteta back after the money spent if results don’t improve dramatically over last year and we aren’t into the Europa league at the least. It just seems sad to me that after 20 years, that a state of animosity should exist. If Arteta bombs it this year no one is going to blame Wenger or think that Wenger can shield him. He isn’t managing now so what would be terrible about a board seat and a big title with his help promoting the club or providing advice. Arteta will be judged on his own results just like any manager.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I have heard this argument but Ole wasn’t shielded by Ferguson for long, they had a pretty good season last year. I don’t think anyone in the fan base want Arteta back after the money spent if results don’t improve dramatically over last year and we aren’t into the Europa league at the least. It just seems sad to me that after 20 years, that a state of animosity should exist. If Arteta bombs it this year no one is going to blame Wenger or think that Wenger can shield him. He isn’t managing now so what would be terrible about a board seat and a big title with his help promoting the club or providing advice. Arteta will be judged on his own results just like any manager.

That's why Wenger should freaking stay away from the club. No good will come from him coming back to some formal role, people will still blame him to some degree when things go wrong. People will be asking why Wenger isn't pushing for Arteta to be sacked when we are in a deep red run, asking what the heck he is doing in his board role. Look at fans ****ting on Edu and Josh, why would things be different with Wenger?

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
That's why Wenger should freaking stay away from the club. No good will come from him coming back to some formal role, people will still blame him to some degree when things go wrong. People will be asking why Wenger isn't pushing for Arteta to be sacked when we are in a deep red run, asking what the heck he is doing in his board role. Look at fans ****ting on Edu and Josh, why would things be different with Wenger?
Ok but I don’t think anyone will blame him if he isn’t buying the players or managing. That is my point, Arteta and Edu have the power and responsibility no one is going to absolve them if Wenger has a board seat. And as a board member he technically isn’t Arteta or Edu’s underling. If he doesn’t want it that is fine as well. I think he could be a great ambassador and salesman for the club. Not much different than job he has now for FIFA but with the added prestige of being on the board. If Ferguson couldn’t shield Ole why are people worried about that here? Our fans get a lot of hate for being entitled and fickle, but we have all stuck with the team through thick and thin despite really a ****ty decade and a half and I think they are smart enough to know that if the results go south it’s Mikel’s head on the block.

Fabregasm

The only involvement I wish for Wenger would just be him coming back to Emirates to watch a game with an announcement and camera focus of tribute for him. Whole stadium giving him a loud standing ovation. No less than what he deserved.

Ellamamama

There was a bit last season where Arteta claimed he spoke to Wenger for advice regularly and Wenger came out and said he hadn’t spoke to Arteta since he was at the club. So, yeah that was a thing.
Do you have a source on that? I've never heard Wenger speak about their communication before.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We've got such a petty and vindictive fanbase.

must-be-new-here-willie-wonka.gif

...are you just finding that out now :lol:

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Nowhere. You try doing your job with everybody telling you to p!ss off all the time. Wait . . . you probably do. :lol:

Was a genuine question, absolutely no need to attack me in that way. I have reported this awful post.

Reactions: A_G

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I think enough time has past for Arsène to return & be respected but ok maybe to be sure wait a little longer for any remaining numpties?
99% of the negative emotional response from fans is usually towards the incumbent manager or board tbh.

You only have to browse twitter, any football forum (including this one) to know basically as a manager you dont win every game playing beautiful football people want you sacked.

it is this type of entitled mentality of the deluded modern fans that infuriates me the most.

This has always gone on to some extent, even pre internet its just that managers used to get more time.
The rumour was Ferguson almost got potted at Man U after around 3 years? He didnt & went on to be their most successful manager ever.

No way he would get that time in the current climate.

As a football manager you are lucky to get a few months without idiots baying for your blood nowadays.

I am always prepared to give managers time to build unless its a disaster.

Fact is by the very nature of the sport at any one time only so many teams can be doing really well.

Problem is the more successful you are the more entitled the fans feel.

Look at Sp**s who have finished above us for 5 years after being meh & bang average for like 50!

Poch does great stuff for a number of years with a youngish team, largely on the back of Kane & Son & he has good league finishes & gets to a champs league final. (although it has to be said little actual silverware)

They have a brand new stadium & the fans start thinking/expecting they are going to win trophies & are established top 4.
They think they have steamed past us & are gonna stay compering with the big boys.

What they dont actually realise is how hard it is to stay at that level and compete with Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool & Man U etc year in year out.

They are now on their 4th manager since Poch.

Everyone agrees Conte is an absolutely elite level manager. Many wanted him here.

He should certainly be able to finish above us with a rookie at the helm.
they have done so consistently for the last 5 years tbf.

However you cannot say he guarantees them top 4 again.

If he finishes 5th are their now entitled fans gonna be happy?

Sorry rant over. Its just i see a very good manager in potter raising expectations but then having to deal with the entitled fans mentality.
Think you made some excellent points in there tbf - this is all about expectations. It's not right or wrong. Wenger lost support because his teams were not improving; Arteta gains support because his team looks like it is getting better. It's unfair in absolute terms but that's just football. Leicester fans are going to kick off if they get mid table; Leeds are considering sacking Bielsa. Football is a tough game and teams are always striving to be number one, even if that means forgetting that that grass can be greener...

That applies equally to the most fervent Arteta outters on this forum as it did to the Wenger Out crowd by the way. A certain irony in that.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You paint a grim picture of football fans but the sad thing is, you're probably right.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I hope the higher ups are dealing with you accordingly.
Well at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory, I got more laughs and likes on that post than I usually do posting about squad cost and Wenger. :lol:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I mean not to get in my Trax bag, but I am pretty sure planes, trains & social media rants had quite a bit to do with it. In combination with the boardroom politicking of course.

Furthermore we had never seen those results and league finishes under Wenger before. Literally became untenable and KSE we're quite clearly pushed into this rather than genuine ambition or anything like that.

I think it was not the social media rant or planes that made them do it. It was the empty seats at the stadium. Even when the planes were out, they were silent. The moment we had lots of empty seats, they had to act. It hit them where it hurt. In the end, it's all about revenue for them. If we want them to do something, protests are not going to help. Just don't turn up to the stadium.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
We've got such a petty and vindictive fanbase.

I assume we're all Arsenal fans here first and foremost? Therefore we want the club to succeed both on field and off field.

If Arsène came back in some capacity would that be to the betterment of the club as a whole? Undoubtedly yes and it would help right some wrongs the club made in the process and hopefully heal some wounds.

I was Wenger in till the end. I couldn't give a toss who wanted him out back then. I'm not interested in punishing those fans who did or making his potential return about Arteta or Kroenke.

It's up to Arsène If he wants to come back. I'd understand if he didn't but any sane Arsenal fan should want him back in the fold because it would make our club better.
On the basis of what?

Top Bottom