• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Brighton does have business competing for European places, the way the talent of the manager raises the level of the team makes them aware of that. They have seen the improvement and know the standard has elevated, to a point they can dream with that kind of stuff because what they see every week gives them enough evidence. Someone that can shoot on target seems to be the only missing piece.

They boo for the same reason a lot of people here accept the horrors of Mikel Arteta as if we were a team that "has business" being midtable, basically.
Oh come on. You seriously can't be comparing the ambitions of Arsenal and Brighton. Arsenal are the third biggest club in England, the biggest club in London and top 10 club in world football in terms of fanbase size, trophies and revenue. Arsenal should NEVER be a midtable club. Brighton have more relegations than trophies. It doesn't matter what Potter is doing, realistically speaking they are massively overachieving. They're in 9th and currently above Leicester, Villa, Palace, Everton and they're level on points with Man Utd. All those teams can easily outspend Brighton with ease. Brighton SHOULD be content to still be in the PL. Of course they should aspire to be more but they have to be realistic with the resources they have.

Reactions: Kav

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Wenger coming back to do what exactly? What authority would he have? He would literally serve the function of a PR mascot & a modesty patch. He would attend all the games in the owner's box but would have no power whatsoever other than to give an opinion and see it ignored, and if taken be blamed for missteps.

If Wenger knows what's in his own best interest he would stay as far away from this club for as long as things are they way they are... rotten.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger coming back to do what exactly? What authority would he have? He would literally serve the function of a PR mascot & a modesty patch. He would attend all the games in the owner's box but would have no power whatsoever other than to give an opinion and see it ignored, and if taken be blamed for missteps.

If Wenger knows what's in his own best interest he would stay as far away from this club for as long as things are they way they are... rotten.
This. And I understand the likes Saka and ESR and other academy lads wanting to high five his giant photo because he was probably like a God to them. But most of the team now are from outside. And if Arteta continues to get this sort of investment and keeps bringing in players to replace the older ones like Laca, Xhaka, Auba etc, in line with what we're now told is his new 'young' policy, then pretty soon there won't be many players in the team who even knew Wenger.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

What’s rotten about a club in 5th stacked with young talent?

Get Arsène in as a mentor to everyone. He’s our Cruyff.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Good article in the Athletic about the job facing Rangnick with this pressing/counter attacking chart. Shows Arteta's press is the second lowest in the league behind Norwich and average for counter attacks. Interesting to see Liverpool, Chelsea and City are out there top for both, along with Leeds. But of course Leeds don't have anywhere near the player quality of those three teams. You need a really solid back line to press high.

Edit: If you wanted to get United in the same quadrant as City, Rangnick's your man. Wise choice.

8783628-E-B870-4603-9-A38-8213-E71-E5883.jpg

Reactions: A_G

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
This. And I understand the likes Saka and ESR and other academy lads wanting to high five his giant photo because he was probably like a God to them. But most of the team now are from outside. And if Arteta continues to get this sort of investment and keeps bringing in players to replace the older ones like Laca, Xhaka, Auba etc, in line with what we're now told is his new 'young' policy, then pretty soon there won't be many players in the team who even knew Wenger.
Exactly. People simply aren't getting it. I remember listening to a podcast about United. The podcaster claimed when United were interested in signing Bellingham, the club sent out Ryan Giggs and Fergie to Birmingham to try and convince the young boy to come. He ended up signing for Dortmund a month later. Now to us we know how much of a big deal those two were but by the time Fergie retired Bellingham was 9 years old. How relevant would Fergie and Giggs be to a 9 year old who grew up in different times?

Now I love Wenger but how do you expect him to resonate with footballers born after 04? Most of those kids were not alive to appreciate Wenger's heyday. They are more likely to be attracted to PSG, Chelsea, City etc. I'm not even trying to be negative, but ask yourself this-how relevant is Arsène Wenger in this day and age? Take off your Arsenal glasses and be real. I was born in 94 and guys like Tony Adams, Ray Parlour, Steve Bould are not relevant to me in the slightest. Even Anelka was not that relevant, I struggle to remember him play for us.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The Athletic get a fairly bad press on A-M but that article about United by Mark Carey is one of the best I've read.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'd like to see Wenger back at the club tbh. I was a critic of his latter years, but seeing the utter chaos the club has been in since he left, I really do feel now that he held it all together, and his perceived failures were mainly down to the club failing him as opposed to the other way around.

There's no doubt he still has an amazing football brain and feel for the game, and no can ever question his love for the club. If there is room for him to really have an influence in the new structure, its something I'd really like to see.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The Athletic get a fairly bad press on A-M but that article about United by Mark Carey is one of the best I've read.
The Athletic is a good publication, no question. It is just that they are more neutral and objective than most other sport publications and point out both positive and negative. Given A-M's views on Arteta that simply isn't going to fall into fertile soil.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

You don't have to have been coached by the guy previously for him to have standing with them and respect. Do Man Utd players ignore or not care about Fergie when he's there just because they haven't been managed by him? Of course not, they're probably in awe of him, as our lot would be with Wenger.

If we're going down this youth movement is there anyone better than Wenger to have a bit of a chat with a few of them and give them some pointers. Youth development was probably one of his biggest attributes after all.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Exactly. People simply aren't getting it. I remember listening to a podcast about United. The podcaster claimed when United were interested in signing Bellingham, the club sent out Ryan Giggs and Fergie to Birmingham to try and convince the young boy to come. He ended up signing for Dortmund a month later. Now to us we know how much of a big deal those two were but by the time Fergie retired Bellingham was 9 years old. How relevant would Fergie and Giggs be to a 9 year old who grew up in different times?

Now I love Wenger but how do you expect him to resonate with footballers born after 04? Most of those kids were not alive to appreciate Wenger's heyday. They are more likely to be attracted to PSG, Chelsea, City etc. I'm not even trying to be negative, but ask yourself this-how relevant is Arsène Wenger in this day and age? Take off your Arsenal glasses and be real. I was born in 94 and guys like Tony Adams, Ray Parlour, Steve Bould are not relevant to me in the slightest. Even Anelka was not that relevant, I struggle to remember him play for us.
Yeah, I agree. I haven't been to the ground since 2018 mainly due to Covid but also due to the way Arsène was treated. Before that I went quite a lot. Looking at the demograph of fans filing into the stadium there were a high proportion of older supporters, possibly because of the price of season tickets, but also because Arsène had made the club very much a cool attraction for older middle class people attracted to his professor vibes. And due to his heyday of the early noughties.

The club has to reboot no doubt. But getting back to the levels of Arsène may take a very long time. It would be fantastic if we got back to continuous top 4. Even the idiots who campaigned to remove him with 'Top 4 is not a trophy' now understand what we had. He should have been allowed to retire and go out with dignity.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The Athletic is a good publication, no question. It is just that they are more neutral and objective than most other sport publications and point out both positive and negative. Given A-M's views on Arteta that simply isn't going to fall into fertile soil.
I still think their articles on Arteta are biased. They're big on stats and Arteta's stats are poor even though he's riding his luck in the league table. I like the fact he's now decided to ditch the old guard like Willian, Luiz etc and go for youth. There are positive signs, but he needs to improve the way we play before I get on board his train.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You don't have to have been coached by the guy previously for him to have standing with them and respect. Do Man Utd players ignore or not care about Fergie when he's there just because they haven't been managed by him? Of course not, they're probably in awe of him, as our lot would be with Wenger.

If we're going down this youth movement is there anyone better than Wenger to have a bit of a chat with a few of them and give them some pointers. Youth development was probably one of his biggest attributes after all.
I'm not sure what role Wenger could have on a daily basis where he just gives the youngsters 'some pointers'. He's Chief of Global Football Development at FIFA. He's not going to leave that to kick about the Emirates.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I think it was not the social media rant or planes that made them do it. It was the empty seats at the stadium. Even when the planes were out, they were silent.
Didn't mean social media rants literally, it's more an ode and reference to @Makingtrax's infamous rants which some spotted.

Furthermore Planes, trains etc is AM speak for all the protests loud and silent happening at the time - or am I incorrect here?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

When the articles hit, they really do hit. Think it's the trade off for all the drivel they spew through most of the year and in my opinion, the bad press is deserved.

Many on here called me crazy and a whinger for calling out their bias until it became hilariously undeniable. Because of their style of reporting I am actually thankful for them because it opened my eyes to the error of my ways when it comes to my thoughts on Wenger and Özil for example.

I am on an the Athletic diet as recommended by some I regularly speak to on here, but I will check out that article you mentioned.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
I'm not sure what role Wenger could have on a daily basis where he just gives the youngsters 'some pointers'. He's Chief of Global Football Development at FIFA. He's not going to leave that to kick about the Emirates.
Surely being a paid figure head would be a fulfilling role for a man of such intelligence, class and integrity who virtually ran the club for over a decade; maybe he could also put the gunnersaurus suit on during match day if he needs something else to fill in his time.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Even years ago Mbappe loved us and yet would rather wait for PSG to come for him when Wenger begged him................. it is ridiculous to think players would join us just because we have Wenger on our side. They will join the club that they think will be the best for the career, and someone who is neither manager nor DoF isn't going to have much sway in their decision making.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak

We’ve got rid of all his scouts etc. There are people who were scouting for 25 years for Wenger and we ditched them. We have new systems in place.

What youth development are you talking about anyway? We’re signing established players for big prices now.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom