• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Merino

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah he looks very useful. Just not sure him and Rice would be great together in terms of on the ball ability.
This is what I’m thinking as well. People miss Xhaka and are commenting on Merino as someone who would bring back that kind of profile. Issue is Xhaka didn’t play with Rice, he played with Partey. I think a midfield of Xhaka and Rice wouldn’t be that good in the end, and Xhaka is a much better passer than Merino.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
He;s actually had quite a decent career. Even his stint at Newcastle wasn't too bad. He's no thrills but puts out decent numbers. My only concern is his pass completion needs to be higher in our team as we're all about possession. Those late 70's need to be mid to late 80's in this team.

1720649929283.png

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
This is what I’m thinking as well. People miss Xhaka and are commenting on Merino as someone who would bring back that kind of profile. Issue is Xhaka didn’t play with Rice, he played with Partey. I think a midfield of Xhaka and Rice wouldn’t be that good in the end, and Xhaka is a much better passer than Merino.

Spot on. Also, all the stats I’ve seen suggest Merino isn’t anything special. Tbh, although they are a little different, in terms of level, Dani Ceballos springs to mind.

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
I like him but a boring, cheap buy. Gives us depth doesn’t help us that much

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we sign Merino, I think it would make a lot of sense. He basically plays the B2B version of Xhaka from two seasons ago but is a much better threat in the air. With our massive emphasis on set pieces, having another player who can score from them will only make us more dangerous.

Xhaka was very effective as a B2B and he was being played out of position. Last season, we attempted to convert Havertz into that role, but he ended up being our CF. Then we started playing Rice at B2B, but that also isn't his position. But B2B is Merino's position, so I imagine that he could be pretty effective in our system.

By all accounts, Merino has been playing very well for Real Sociedad for the last six seasons. He just doesn't get much attention outside of Spain because he doesn't play for Real Madrid, Barcelona, or Atletico Madrid.

It doesn't look like he'd cost too much since he's in the last year of his contract, so it seems like a smart move. He fits the profile of the player that we're looking for and he won't cost too much.

He might not be the most exciting signing and he might not be a regular starter for us, but neither were Tomi, Trossard, or Jorginho; and they've all become important players for us.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Spot on. Also, all the stats I’ve seen suggest Merino isn’t anything special. Tbh, although they are a little different, in terms of level, Dani Ceballos springs to mind.
if we are looking at Merino surely Arteta sees a bit of himself in Merinos situation while boss was at Everton...

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

“Sport”

Are saying that Arsenal are pressing hard for Merino and Barca believe the deal can be done for 20-25M.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, July 13

Arsenal and Bologna are working to find a compromise on the structure of the transfer fee [Di Marzio]

Latest posts

Top Bottom