• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

MLS Discussion

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Josef Martinez equalizes for the MLS All-Stars against Juventus. Their speed and athleticism really gave Juve fits in the first half. Should have had a 2nd, but Miguel Almiron was wrongly ruled offside and would have had a clear 1-on-1 with Szczesny (who has made some great saves). Highly entertaining stuff.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
This needs to die ASAP.

Why can't people leave some things for the imagination. In the US everything needs to be commercialized. Just like the NBA interviews of players / coaches during the game breaks and cameras in tunnels and dressing rooms. Commentators

How long before Aubameyang yells to the camera: "this goal was brought to you by Wallmart, 30% off on Diapers" during his goal celebration. Of course Lord Bendtner was way ahead of his time with his undies celebration.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
This needs to die ASAP.

Why can't people leave some things for the imagination. In the US everything needs to be commercialized. Just like the NBA interviews of players / coaches during the game breaks and cameras in tunnels and dressing rooms. Commentators

How long before Aubameyang yells to the camera: "this goal was brought to you by Wallmart, 30% off on Diapers" during his goal celebration. Of course Lord Bendtner was way ahead of his time with his undies celebration.
I could see this leading to the keeper/ captain being mic'd to the bench which I quite like.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
This needs to die ASAP.

It's just an all-star game. I don't think you're going to be seeing it during actual competitive matches. Just a curiosity.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Overreaction levels were a little high in my post, but I really hope they stay away from that.

I think doing it on any sort of regular basis -- especially during regular season or playoff games -- would be a big mistake. But I actually found it kind of interesting. I went from "Wow, I can't believe Guzan actually agreed to this" to being amused when he slid seamlessly from talking to Twellman into barking out instructions for the defense. :lol:

I was just disappointed he didn't let go with a few profanities while the mic was on. :D

blaze_of_glory

Overreaction levels were a little high in my post, but I really hope they stay away from that.
Didn't the NHL do something a while back where one of the broadcast channels miked up the coaches, and then quickly abandoned that due to the constant swearing? :lol:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Didn't the NHL do something a while back where one of the broadcast channels miked up the coaches, and then quickly abandoned that due to the constant swearing? :lol:

That sounds familiar. I know they've done it with baseball players, managers and umpires, but it's easier to control and you have the built in downtimes between innings, etc. They do it in auto racing, too, but only talk when they're running under a yellow flag or lapping the track as the race is about to start. It's a bit trickier in a sport where the clock is running all the time.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
That was special. I feel guilty that I have not been to the new stadium yet. Seen it from the outside and it seems amazing.

Things have been sort of stagnant at DC United for quite awhile now. The new stadium and Rooney's presence seems to have energized things quite a bit. There will be times Rooney struggles to keep up with the pace against some of the more athletic teams (Atlanta, for instance), but as long as he's still capable of moments of brilliance he'll give the fans hope of something better.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Things have been sort of stagnant at DC United for quite awhile now. The new stadium and Rooney's presence seems to have energized things quite a bit. There will be times Rooney struggles to keep up with the pace against some of the more athletic teams (Atlanta, for instance), but as long as he's still capable of moments of brilliance he'll give the fans hope of something better.

Sort of stagnant? You are being charitable, lol. Been a DCU fan since the early days and the brilliance of Etchevery, RDA, Pope and Moreno, the franchise has been in a deep hole the last 10 yrs. The new stadium though is a giant step in the right direction. Hopefully the club will bring more talent next season next to Rooney.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Sort of stagnant? You are being charitable, lol. Been a DCU fan since the early days and the brilliance of Etchevery, RDA, Pope and Moreno, the franchise has been in a deep hole the last 10 yrs. The new stadium though is a giant step in the right direction. Hopefully the club will bring more talent next season next to Rooney.

Well, yeah, I was trying to put it as kindly as possible. :lol:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Was Bradley Wright, son of Ian Wright, wasted at MLS?

He scored over 100 goals in MLS.

I wouldn't say he was wasted. NYRB gave him an opportunity at just the right time. He was 28 and had been playing in the Championship and League One. Would never have been more than a role player for a Premier League club. But he got a chance to come across and play alongside Thierry Henry. Something clicked between them and Bradley gained confidence in himself. He found his career here and there's nothing wrong with that. He's 33 now, but even if he'd gone back at 29 or 30 he would never have been more than a 10-goal scorer on a bottom half PL club. He's been where he was supposed to be.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Rooney with two more goals tonight. FK for one of them. Had a chip off the bar too.

He's quickly starting to be a dominant player in the league now that he's getting more fit. Guy is working his ass off as well.

That last part is the key. Sometimes big name guys come over not realizing what a young, athletic, fast-paced league it is and they think they can coast (the general narrative in England has always been that MLS is a "retirement league," when in fact it's a younger league than the PL). Gerrard and Lampard both struggled to adjust. Gerrard even admitted that he was surprised by the standard. But Rooney is taking this seriously. His work rate has helped him to overcome the limitations of aging and he's getting the best out of the ball skills that made him such a great player in the first place.

carlito'sway

Established Member
That last part is the key. Sometimes big name guys come over not realizing what a young, athletic, fast-paced league it is and they think they can coast (the general narrative in England has always been that MLS is a "retirement league," when in fact it's a younger league than the PL). Gerrard and Lampard both struggled to adjust. Gerrard even admitted that he was surprised by the standard. But Rooney is taking this seriously. His work rate has helped him to overcome the limitations of aging and he's getting the best out of the ball skills that made him such a great player in the first place.

To be honest, Rooney has exceeded my expectations. He seems to getting himself in top physical shape and still has the talent and ball skills to be a dominant player. Good for him and good for the club and the city.

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom