• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mohamed Elneny: Pyramid Pirlo

Pick one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Awful.

EqbjJxGXMAMiqoT

I'd say it's easy to be angry at a performance like this, cos it's objectively terrible. I mean if there were lots of red forward arrows you could at least say the midfielder is trying the right stuff and failing. But this is a CM who's not even attempting to find the forwards, he's just passing the responsibility onto other players.

However, the moment you expect anything of Elneny you've already made a misstep. This is a guy who wouldn't look out of place playing for Crystal Palace.

I'd be more angry at Xhaka, cos that's a player who does have the ability to pass forwards and find attackers. Whatever his flaws are, we've seen Xhaka be a creator from deep, so when he doesn't do it it's all the more disappointing.

There's an argument (maybe tenuous) to say that the GK, back 4 and front 4 of this Arsenal team are not totally terrible and might even be good enough for top 6 and top 4 down the line. But jesus the two CM's are dire, the sooner Xhaka, Elneny and Ceballos are out of the club the better.

Ramin

The guy got Covid and just after his negative test he found himself being a starter every game in that busy period running his socks off and almost start and see out every game.

He looks absolutely knackered and in deep need to have some rest and maybe still affected by his infection. Arteta doesn't trust Xhaka and Ceballos as a double pivot so he ran Elneny into the ground.

Give the guy a break. he has been poor last couple of games and had some lapses of concentration. which may look weird because one of his strengths being always reliable and focused and never being prone to that sort of errors (the Xhaka-esq ones at least). but Fatigue does exactly that.

Give the guy a break ffs.

Last edited:

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
The guy got Covid and just after his negative test he found himself being a starter every game in that busy period running his socks off and almost start and see out every game.

He looks absolutely knackered and in deep need to have some rest and maybe still affected by his infection. Arteta doesn't trust Xhaka and Ceballos as a double pivot so he ran Elneny into the ground.

Give the guy a break. he has been poor last couple of games and had some lapses of concentration. which may look weird because one of his strengths being always reliable and focused and never being prone to that sort of errors (the Xhaka-esq ones at least). but Fatigue does exactly that.

This is true and maybe it should be taken into consideration but being tired shouldn't mean he unable to pass the ball forward. Both him and Xhaka were simply afraid to play it to one of the forward players even when they weren't being closely marked.

Ramin

This is true and maybe it should be taken into consideration but being tired shouldn't mean he unable to pass the ball forward. Both him and Xhaka were simply afraid to play it to one of the forward players even when they weren't being closely marked.

One minute before his 1st half error, Brighton were on the ball, their player was free out wide in a dangerous position and Elneny was the player who should run at him to prevent the passing option to him or close him down if got the pass but Elneny just JOGGED. think of it for a second. The player who never stops running and whose stamina's off the chart couldn't run. If you are that knackered you're due any kind of mistakes.
Elneny has never been flashy but he was always reliable and never been an error prone. He needs a breather to get back fit.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

What I find interesting is arteta prefers to him to ceballos. I think for now el neny has to play specially with partey out because xhaka and ceballos has no athletic ability and are way too slow.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not brave enough on the ball. Him and Xhaka kill our attacks before they start.

Auba makes loads of amazing runs but never gets seen. We need someone in the double pivot with vision - either recognises space and drives into it or can hit accurate passes forward.

Ceballos’ has underwhelmed me too.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

His pass map is pretty standard for a sitting midfielder, not sure why he’s gotten bashed for it. If you look at most of the sitting midfielders in the league you’ll see the same side way passing and high pass completion rates. I’d post some of other players but I can’t be bothered.

His job is to keep and recycle the ball, usually his strength but he played us into trouble a few times against Brighton which is unlike him.

I think the problem is we have Xhaka and Elneny doing the same thing which against Brighton is overkill. Against better opposition it does work a bit better.

Ramin

Not brave enough on the ball. Him and Xhaka kill our attacks before they start.

Auba makes loads of amazing runs but never gets seen. We need someone in the double pivot with vision - either recognises space and drives into it or can hit accurate passes forward.

Ceballos’ has underwhelmed me too.

Neither was Gilberto and he was surronded by top class all over the pitch and prime Wenger-ball. Not because he was mediocre or not good enough but because it was never his job.

You don't blame a DM when the team falls short in creating chances for the CF "Auba makes loads of amazing runs but never gets seen".

Xhaka's the DLP (or should be) playing in a double pivot next to a DM.
The major task of his role is to create. they're not playing the same role in the team to blame Elneny for his limited creativity.

We never blamed Coquelin for his lack in attacking contributions when Wenger played him next to Santi as a double pivot. because simply it was never Coq's job.

Absolutely spot on. Not many make sense here tbf. Fvcking cry babies who don't appreciate what they got.

That kid Bissouma is really good though. We should look into him really hard. A defensive/holding option of Partey, Nenny and Bissouma would really be great.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Neither was Gilberto and he was surronded by top class all over the pitch and prime Wenger-ball. Not because he was mediocre or not good enough but because it was never his job.

You don't blame a DM when the team falls short in creating chances for the CF "Auba makes loads of amazing runs but never gets seen".

The major task of his role is to create. they're not playing the same role in the team to blame Elneny for his limited creativity.

We never blamed Coquelin for his lack in attacking contributions when Wenger played him next to Santi as a double pivot. because simply it was never Coq's job.

Gilberto and Coq didn’t play in a low block. We deployed a high line under Wenger and won more possession in the final third so this was less of an issue.

Off the ball Elneny and Xhaka just back off and wait and on it, when pressed or faced with a blocked passing lane, they do not go over the top or drive past a player (btw Casemeiro too is a DM - not his job but does it). They’ll just stop, turn and pass it back.

This is at 0-0, not protecting a lead. Not brave enough.

They are haemorrhaging our attack.

We either change the profile of first receiver in midfield, or we push higher up.

It’s literally the reason we signed Partey. But he alone is not enough.

Jack badmon

Absolutely spot on. Not many make sense here tbf. Fvcking cry babies who don't appreciate what they got.

That kid Bissouma is really good though. We should look into him really hard. A defensive/holding option of Partey, Nenny and Bissouma would really be great.

He’s been here since 2016, he came in as a average player and he still is a average player. There’s not a lot to appreciate unfortunately.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
I saw one clear improvement to his previous game in that he played 50% less hospital balls to his teammates.

Well done Elneny.

We’re all very proud of you.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I'm a bit hesitant to get onto them for this cause I can't quite work out how much of this is instruction, habit or PTSD from the past I dunno.

Do you remember Partey in the Leicester game standing in the middle of the park visibly confused and frustrated he wasn't getting the ball?

My only problem with Xhaka and Elneny is I don't think you need both on doing the same thing against the likes of Brighton. Willock or AMN possibly could have started in Elneny's place.

I am actually not surprised at all Arteta wanted Jorginho at all he is definitely his cup of tea.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Gilberto and Coq didn’t play in a low block. We deployed a high line under Wenger and won more possession in the final third so this was less of an issue.

Off the ball Elneny and Xhaka just back off and wait and on it, when pressed or faced with a blocked passing lane, they do not go over the top or drive past a player (btw Casemeiro too is a DM - not his job but does it). They’ll just stop, turn and pass it back.

We either change the profile of first receiver in midfield, or we push higher up.

It’s literally the reason we signed Partey. But he alone is not enough.
Plus I don't think Coq's immediate instinct was to do a back pass. If there is an easy forward pass to be made, he makes it. If not, Cazorla was available to receive and proceed with attack.

His pass map is pretty standard for a sitting midfielder, not sure why he’s gotten bashed for it. If you look at most of the sitting midfielders in the league you’ll see the same side way passing and high pass completion rates. I’d post some of other players but I can’t be bothered.

His job is to keep and recycle the ball, usually his strength but he played us into trouble a few times against Brighton which is unlike him.

I think the problem is we have Xhaka and Elneny doing the same thing which against Brighton is overkill. Against better opposition it does work a bit better.
This.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Plus I don't think Coq's immediate instinct was to do a back pass. If there is an easy forward pass to be made, he makes it. If not, Cazorla was available to receive and proceed with attack.

Instinct is the word I’ve been looking for. You can see them directing others to do the same whenever we recover possession. To @Macho’s point - it could be instructions but we’ve seen the same thing under 3 different managers with 3 different philosophies.

Klopp binned Lucas Leiva and Joe Allen almost as soon as arrived and gradually brought in players better suited to a high press.

We have to break up this dynamic if we’re going to start controlling midfields again, ever.

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Gilberto was elite at reading danger, was as big as our centre-halves, and was was surprisingly quick. He could also get back on the occasions he pushed forward. Of course he had a better team around him, but he was one of the best I've ever seen at his role. If Elneny was that good at those things, no one would expect creative passes.

Coquelin we all knew was limited (though more physically dynamic) and ultimately, that's why he got sold. He could only be effective alongside an elite ball progressing midfielder, otherwise was a mid table level player.

Mo isn't a terrible player. He's just not good enough in any one area to compensate for being mediocre in others. The kind of guy who'd look v good in a mid-table club without the same expectations

Jack badmon

Mo isn't a terrible player. He's just not good enough in any one area to compensate for being mediocre in others. The kind of guy who'd look v good in a mid-table club without the same expectations
In the PL what team does he walk into? Certainly at least nobody currently above us. I’m tired of gassing up our average players we got to do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom