• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mohamed Elneny: Pyramid Pirlo

Pick one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Gilberto was elite at reading danger, was as big as our centre-halves, and was was surprisingly quick. He could also get back on the occasions he pushed forward. Of course he had a better team around him, but he was one of the best I've ever seen at his role. If Elneny was that good at those things, no one would expect creative passes.

Coquelin we all knew was limited (though more physically dynamic) and ultimately, that's why he got sold. He could only be effective alongside an elite ball progressing midfielder, otherwise was a mid table level player.

Mo isn't a terrible player. He's just not good enough in any one area to compensate for being mediocre in others. The kind of guy who'd look v good in a mid-table club without the same expectations

Good summary.

On a sidenote, Gilberto got a lot of stick from Arsenal fans after Vieira left for doing exactly what he did during the invincibles season (pre injury).

The latter was a box to box driving force that allowed him to just mop up . Everyone was ok with it because Paddy was so good in the transition.

With Cesc, Bert was more exposed and didn’t have the legs to both close down players and cover spaces vacated by full backs. We had to switch to a 5 man midfield in the CL for that reason.

His passes came under much more scrutiny as we struggled to get up the pitch. Losing Edu to Valencia on a bosman was a blow.

Don’t want people thinking I’m jut having a go at Elneny, but if someone more ballsy like Gilberto struggled alongside a player lacking athleticism, he definitely doesn’t stand a chance.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

But jesus the two CM's are dire, the sooner Xhaka, Elneny and Ceballos are out of the club the better.
They’re being instructed to funnel play wide though so there is that...

We literally have stats that prove that Xhaka isn’t looking to progress play under Arteta. It’s by design.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Was no where near as bad as people make out. Yes he played a couple of horrendous passes but generally you know what you’re getting with Ebneny and he’s currently our best midfielder (until Partey is fit again) at recycling the ball quickly.

Have to admit, Xhaka has really stepped up his game these past two matches, his passing has been a lot more positive and forward which we don’t normally see with him, it’s complimented Ebnenys style well and made his role of recycling more useful.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I now understand how a player can kill you without necessarily making mistakes.

Guy is the living embodiment of opportunity cost.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The problem that he can pass forward that long ball to auba at 2nd half was very good but he is such let's play it safe player

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Thought he had s very solid game our attack of Cedric, Pepe, Willian and auba was piss poor. Was only until Saka, esr, Laca came on we started to play better and make chances.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I thought he made a few good forward passes tonight. The trouble is that safety first is hardwired into his DNA so he stated pads. He could be so much more complete if he switched up his game a bit more

I now understand how a player can kill you without necessarily making mistakes.

Guy is the living embodiment of opportunity cost.

You don't see any mistakes maybe but when a player is just that unspectacular like Elneny you know the other team usually has some kind of advantage. It can often be seen when the opposition midfielder is charging towards our goal and Elneny is chasing him, not facing him. And I'm not talking about counter-attacks.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Good summary.

On a sidenote, Gilberto got a lot of stick from Arsenal fans after Vieira left for doing exactly what he did during the invincibles season (pre injury).

The latter was a box to box driving force that allowed him to just mop up . Everyone was ok with it because Paddy was so good in the transition.

With Cesc, Bert was more exposed and didn’t have the legs to both close down players and cover spaces vacated by full backs. We had to switch to a 5 man midfield in the CL for that reason.

His passes came under much more scrutiny as we struggled to get up the pitch. Losing Edu to Valencia on a bosman was a blow.

Don’t want people thinking I’m jut having a go at Elneny, but if someone more ballsy like Gilberto struggled alongside a player lacking athleticism, he definitely doesn’t stand a chance.

Elneny could look really good with Partey next to him. Imo our best game was against United when both of them were together.

It's a lazy comparison but I feel the Elneny-Partey axis is similar to the Gilberto-Viera one. Partey is a great dribbler who loves to pass between lines. Elneny recycles and covers the ball efficiently.

It's been very confusing to see people suggesting Partey as a lone DM with two attack minded 8's in front of him. He (like Viera) could probably do a decent job there but it's not their natural game.

I'd love to see a good run of Elneny-Partey with ESR in front of them, a good mix of everything.

Iceman10

Established Member
You don't see any mistakes maybe but when a player is just that unspectacular like Elneny you know the other team usually has some kind of advantage. It can often be seen when the opposition midfielder is charging towards our goal and Elneny is chasing him, not facing him. And I'm not talking about counter-attacks.

Could do a lot worse than an “unspectacular” player for that position in CM, could be the Pablo Mari of our CM while getting replacements for Ceballos and Xhaka. Like Mari, this player likely would readily accept a squad competition/depth position for Arsenal also. Every top squad needs those kinds of players, so I’m ok keeping him right now.

Ciscoo

I’m most underwhelmed by his defending tbh. I still can’t really understand why he can’t impose himself physically or in his positioning.

If he could add some defensive presence I’d find it so much easier to overlook his dullness on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom