• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mohamed Elneny: Pyramid Pirlo

Pick one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melquiades

Elneny is a good squad player - high work rate, good team guy, good defensive player who has his limitations going forward but who you can slot into the team when needed without hurting you. Every good team has guys like this and at times it feels like fans expect squad players to be 70 million signings.

The problem is when he's playing PL games with a healthy squad or only 1 injury which should never be happening on a team with any aspirations. It isn't Elneny's fault the team doesn't have enough depth in midfield for him to be set in the roster spot he should be in.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Would have liked us to sign a starting cm and keep him as back up and sell xhaka

But now that xhaka is extended we really need to sign a starting cm and elneny has to go for that so that xhaka becomes the back up.
I have a lot of time for ElNeny. Think he is an honest professional with some upside. As long he is given a reasonable role to play he will play it and at a reasonable price. I would like to keep him and sell Xhaka. Let's see what happens in January or next summer.

The reason I posted the tweet is that we often only see the players for their performance on the pitch and forget that they are individuals with their own background and history. Knowing that makes it much easier to support them, at least for me!

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Elneny is a good squad player - high work rate, good team guy, good defensive player who has his limitations going forward but who you can slot into the team when needed without hurting you. Every good team has guys like this and at times it feels like fans expect squad players to be 70 million signings.

The problem is when he's playing PL games with a healthy squad or only 1 injury which should never be happening on a team with any aspirations. It isn't Elneny's fault the team doesn't have enough depth in midfield for him to be set in the roster spot he should be in.
The point is exactly to get better depth in midfield. This happens easiest, when we extend Xhaka for a year, and sell Elneny. Not having to spend double the money of Xhaka fee to get someone like Neves.

We can't have Elneny starting EPL matches ever again if we want to be in European competitions. Last season he played almost half of the minutes. Elneny will drop our level a lot, Xhaka not nearly as much.

Get a player who has upside and can challenge Xhaka's starting spot along with Sambi.

GoonerJay24

The point is exactly to get better depth in midfield. This happens easiest, when we extend Xhaka for a year, and sell Elneny. Not having to spend double the money of Xhaka fee to get someone like Neves.

We can't have Elneny starting EPL matches ever again if we want to be in European competitions. Last season he played almost half of the minutes. Elneny will drop our level a lot, Xhaka not nearly as much.

Get a player who has upside and can challenge Xhaka's starting spot along with Sambi.

Where are the stats for this claim? Last season we won some big matches whenever Elneny started. The poor form mainly occurred when Ceballas and Willian were starting.

drippin

Where are the stats for this claim? Last season we won some big matches whenever Elneny started. The poor form mainly occurred when Ceballas and Willian were starting.
Here you go. The cakes seem to be a bit different to each other though, but give some picture of what I mean.

crabstats-Elneny-20-21.jpg

crabstats-Xhaka-20-21.jpg

drippin

What about this version? :lol:

Xhaka is a good squad player - high work rate, good team guy, good defensive player who has his limitations going forward but who you can slot into the team when needed without hurting you. Every good team has guys like this and at times it feels like fans expect squad players to be 70 million signings.

The problem is when he's starting every PL game with a healthy squad which should never be happening on a team with any aspirations. It isn't Xhaka's fault the team doesn't have enough depth in midfield for him to be set in the roster spot he should be in.

drippin

The graphs don’t seem to show the same measurements and not against the same comparison groups. Or am I missing something?
It's the best I could find, not gonna use more time on it. Eye-test tells similar things.

I'm not sure why the other chart isn't totally the same, but I have the impression that Crab always compares to top-five leagues.

There is 1,5 months time difference between the tweets, so it's weird.

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It's the best I could find, not gonna use more time on it. Eye-test tells similar things.

I'm not sure why the other chart isn't totally the same, but I have the impression that Crab always compares to top-five leagues.

There is 1,5 months time difference between the tweets, so it's weird.
Fully understand. No worries. From my standpoint I would be hesitant to draw many conclusions from the graphs. My one major concern is what the measurements actually are measuring and how they are measured, as well that it is a selection of measurements themselves against other possible measurements.

Don't feel like I expect answers. The time it would take to fully understand the above would require us to get paid for it, which neither of us are or will be... 😄

drippin

Fully understand. No worries. From my standpoint I would be hesitant to draw many conclusions from the graphs. My one major concern is what the measurements actually are measuring and how they are measured, as well that it is a selection of measurements themselves against other possible measurements.

Don't feel like I expect answers. The time it would take to fully understand the above would require us to get paid for it, which neither of us are or will be... 😄
I would be very interested to see a proper stats comparison between the two players, but to me it is evident that Xhaka is better, I would just like to know how much.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I would be very interested to see a proper stats comparison between the two players, but to me it is evident that Xhaka is better, I would just like to know how much.
I wouldn't agree on that as they have different strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately neither are good in the skills it takes to play out from the back that Arteta wants. I personally have more time for ElNeny than for Xhaka for all kind of reasons, but would prefer to have neither as a starter of Arsenal. There both are way too limited.

drippin

I wouldn't agree on that as they have different strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately neither are good in the skills it takes to play out from the back that Arteta wants. I personally have more time for ElNeny than for Xhaka for all kind of reasons, but would prefer to have neither as a starter of Arsenal. There both are way too limited.
This is why it would be important to have those proper stats to compare.

Because it seems everyone's eye-test is different, likely based on how they like a player, so they focus on different things and don't see somethings. This happens to all of us of course.

I have totally different view to yours, and have no more time for Elneny if we want to compete.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This is why it would be important to have those proper stats to compare.

Because it seems everyone's eye-test is different, likely based on how they like a player, so they focus on different things and don't see somethings. This happens to all of us of course.

I have totally different view to yours, and have no more time for Elneny if we want to compete.
Fair enough, although don't think you will find the stats to convince someone like me. Watching more or less 100% of Arsenals PL games and at least a good bit of the cup games I have my views. If you have a chance to look at players enough I think the type of measurements you posted less important. I think it is enough to trust your own eyes.

drippin

Fair enough, although don't think you will find the stats to convince someone like me. Watching more or less 100% of Arsenals PL games and at least a good bit of the cup games I have my views. If you have a chance to look at players enough I think the type of measurements you posted less important. I think it is enough to trust your own eyes.
Yeah, well I also have watched all of Arsenal's games. Not in pre-season though.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
E991Z4pX0AIsOZK

This pretty much rules Elneny out of any games until Sp**s, by which time Xhaka's ban will be over and Thomas should be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom