• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I do get that perspective. I think it just bares the danger of being too lenient with each other if there's a too close relationship between two or even all three of the main guys at the club.

I'm also not 100% sold on Monchi's way of operating. I still get the impression it's a lot of trial and error, utterly pragmatic and very focused on generating cash.

I'm definitely not against the appointment but still have reservations. If he comes - which seems practically a given right now - I think another guy with no Sevilla and/or La Liga background would be a good addition as Squadplanner or something. Someone like say Jan Laursen who could maybe be convinced to work in a smaller role but in a bigger club. Or another club's Head Scout or Analyst.

I get that as well. I just think that something that has proven to be a very successful combination in the past has a better chance of succeeding. Of course how things turn out remains to be seen, regardless of who gets the job. I'm always in favor of adding more good people in other positions, of course. There was a lot of talk there for awhile about Francis Cagiago moving into Mislintat's old job, but I haven't heard anything for awhile. Maybe they'll end up with someone less Spain-centric.

As for Monchi's modus operandi, I like the fact that he relies on such a vast network of scouts all around the world. He also built Sevilla's highly-regarded academy system basically from scratch, so he will presumably be anxious to give players from Arsenal's academy an opportunity. Within Arsenal's self-sustaining model, I think pragmatism might come in handy. They will never be able to splash the cash like Manchester City and a few others, so some well-timed sales for significant profit may be necessary from time to time in order to keep the cupboard well-stocked (Liverpool has been quite successful with such a model during the Klopp era and even City has been turning over some of their youngsters for cash).

benjamin86

Established Member
I do get that perspective. I think it just bares the danger of being too lenient with each other if there's a too close relationship between two or even all three of the main guys at the club.

I'm also not 100% sold on Monchi's way of operating. I still get the impression it's a lot of trial and error, utterly pragmatic and very focused on generating cash.

I'm definitely not against the appointment but still have reservations. If he comes - which seems practically a given right now - I think another guy with no Sevilla and/or La Liga background would be a good addition as Squadplanner or something. Someone like say Jan Laursen who could maybe be convinced to work in a smaller role but in a bigger club. Or another club's Head Scout or Analyst.

I'm not convinced on Monchi's recruitment especially compared to Mislintat...

Do you have any opinion on Mislintat leaving? It seemed to get pushed under the rug very quickly....I believe we offered him the role as head of recruitment and then Sanelhi got promoted above him and wanted Mislintat to work under a DoF which was in effect a demotion.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Do you have any opinion on Mislintat leaving? It seemed to get pushed under the rug very quickly....I believe we offered him the role as head of recruitment and then Sanelhi got promoted above him and wanted Mislintat to work under a DoF which was in effect a demotion.

Think something similar. Sanllehi got promoted, Mislintat wanted that job but didn't get it and thus walked. Rumours also said these two weren't exactly seeing eye to eye in how to operate.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This is the cockney boy done good bloke, ain't he? Yeah... I hope he signs and revisits some old boozers in the manor.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

See, I just don't get that at all. I think Monchi ranks far beyond Mislintat in terms of recruitment. I mean, look at the players he brought to Sevilla over the years, either as youths or as purchases: Sergio Ramos, Ivan Rakitic, Julio Baptista, Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Luis Alberto, Jose Antonio Reyes, Jesus Navas, Federico Fazio, Martin Caceres, Seydou Keita, Christian Poulsen, Carlos Bacca, Andres Palop, Grzegorz Krychowiak, Kevin Gameiro, Frederic Kanoute, Iago Aspas, N'Zonzi, Banega, Gary Medel, Alvaro Negredo, Ben Yedder, Aleix Vidal and many more.

Also, you have to keep in mind that Monchi is not taking Sven's job. This is a different job (one that Sven wanted, but Sanllehi didn't think he was ready to handle). Monchi will be the technical director, not the head of recruitment. The new head of recruitment will report to Monchi. So it's really pointless to compare the two anyway. Monchi will have for more -- and more diverse -- responsibilities.

benjamin86

Established Member
See, I just don't get that at all. I think Monchi ranks far beyond Mislintat in terms of recruitment. I mean, look at the players he brought to Sevilla over the years, either as youths or as purchases: Sergio Ramos, Ivan Rakitic, Julio Baptista, Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Luis Alberto, Jose Antonio Reyes, Jesus Navas, Federico Fazio, Martin Caceres, Seydou Keita, Christian Poulsen, Carlos Bacca, Andres Palop, Grzegorz Krychowiak, Kevin Gameiro, Frederic Kanoute, Iago Aspas, N'Zonzi, Banega, Gary Medel, Alvaro Negredo, Ben Yedder, Aleix Vidal and many more.

Also, you have to keep in mind that Monchi is not taking Sven's job. This is a different job (one that Sven wanted, but Sanllehi didn't think he was ready to handle). Monchi will be the technical director, not the head of recruitment. The new head of recruitment will report to Monchi. So it's really pointless to compare the two anyway. Monchi will have for more -- and more diverse -- responsibilities.

You're correct, i probably should have compared Sven at AFC to Monchi at Roma which is what makes me a little nervous.

(wasnt the original idea when Gazidis was in charge that Sven and Sanellhi were pretty much splitting Dof between them? Sven as head of recruitment and Sanellhi handling the business sides of recruitment?)

Also one of the things i'm curious about is Monchis getting all the blame for the poor business at Roma but DoF's work in consensus with managers and i'd imagine the manager gets last say on first team players?

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
You're correct, i probably should have compared Sven at AFC to Monchi at Roma which is what makes me a little nervous.

(wasnt the original idea when Gazidis was in charge that Sven and Sanellhi were pretty much splitting Dof between them? Sven as head of recruitment and Sanellhi handling the business sides of recruitment?)

Also one of the things i'm curious about is Monchis getting all the blame for the poor business at Roma but DoF's work in consensus with managers and i'd imagine the manager gets last say on first team players?

I think the criticism regarding Roma is just basically fans not really understanding the situation and what he was hired to do. Roma was in desperate financial shape, on the verge of bankruptcy, and far afoul of Financial Fair Play regulations. He was able to get them on firm financial footing again just in time to avoid harsh penalties last summer, but the cost was selling off some of their best players for profit (he turned a profit of £80 million just selling Salah and Alisson to Liverpool). He brought in young players to replace the outgoing stars (plus a couple of bargain veterans, such as N'Zonzi), but some of the young guys are literally still teenagers and it will take time (others such as Under, Pellegrini and Zaniolo -- himself still a teenager -- are budding stars). But it's difficult for fans to understand when they see their best players being sold off and replaced by players who are less polished.

When Gazidis left, it was actually Sanllehi and Vinai Venkatesham who split Ivan's former duties. Vinai is in charge of the business side with Raul as the head of football. Sven was head of recruitment and somebody else will be hired to take his place once Monchi (presumably) is in place as technical director. So Sven's duties never went beyond scouting and recruitment.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yes, I’m confusing him with some other man with a humble east London upbringing who was linked to Arsenal. Can’t find the post.

Can't remember his name but know the guy you're talking about, he might be getting a different role to the one that Monchi's getting. Like head scout maybe.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Yes, I’m confusing him with some other man with a humble east London upbringing who was linked to Arsenal. Can’t find the post.

Probably Francis Cagigao, Arsenal's scout in Spain (who may or may not end up replacing Sven Mislintat). He was born and raised in London, played for Arsenal's youth setup and then moved to Spain with Barcelona B.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can't see a negative to this one. Roma fans seem happy he is going but they got to a Champions League semi and would have got to the final if the coach got his tactics right at Anfield.

He has worked with Emery and now has the experience of working in a different country. Even with a limited budget our pulling power is on a whole other level to Roma and Sevilla.

Look at what Ziyechs agent said recently. This is why Champions League is so important. If we get it. The project becomes a major attraction.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Ziyech agent said that because Monchi and Roma pissed about with him when it looked like he was going to be Roma bound. Now they are lashing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom