Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by American_Gooner, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

Overmars seems pretty perfect. I like the Arsenal history / link when we dont have much anymore.

2. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Ex-Troll

Sanllehi looks like a complete tool after the fails with Sven & Monchi, the jokers Raul and Vinai aren't fit to lace Gazidis' boots.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  3. Sammy1887

Sammy1887 Still Hating Reed in 2019

Just bring back Sven.

4. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Sven should've just stayed in his lane as the chief scout, instead of trying to muscle in on a position he wasn't suited for. He's left Dortmund and Arsenal unceremoniously so there's a possibility he's difficult to work with.

5. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

Overmars and De Ligt would be nice

Slartibartfast likes this.
  6. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

By all accounts Sven was promised something by his former boss and then his colleague became his boss and had different ideas. That's nothing to do with poor structure that's just the way it is if the man at the top leaves. It could happen again if Raul leaves or is fired and it could happen again if his replacement leaves or is fired.

7. Malky

Malky Well-Known Member

Meh, not at all bothered about this.
    Thought he'd be a good appointment, in all honesty, until I read his reasons for leaving Roma -

Monchi decided to leave for a number of reasons including finding it difficult to cope with criticism and negativity surrounding Roma as well as failing to meet expectations in the transfer market.

Seems like he's a coward who can't cope under pressure. No surprise he's went to Sevilla who, with all respect, will have lower expectations than ours.

krengon likes this.
  8. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast CIES Loyalist

In which case he and Tuchel were a match made in Hell. :D

9. Slartibartfast

De-Ligtful?

10. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Please no Overmars, I've suffered enough through his incompetency at Ajax. All he does well is sell high. I want him gone at Ajax but not if it means he ends up here.

11. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

Whose bright idea was it to bring Sven in if he really is such a difficult character to work with?

12. Slartibartfast

Since I'm not familiar with the workings at Ajax, I was struck by this from Watts' article on Overmars' interest:

...at Ajax, Overmars predominantly looks after the business side of things, while recruitment is left to chief scout Henk Veltmate.

So if they do hire Overmars, they obviously will need a chief scout that they trust implicitly. Monchi, of course, would largely have overseen this are himself. It seems Overmars would be geared more toward administrative duties, supporting and assisting the manager, serving as a liaison with the board, etc. This makes me question whether or not Arsenal is seriously interested in him. I guess we'll see.

13. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

To be honest, I remember pushing the idea of getting Overmars here in a similar capacity at some point when he first joined Ajax. He definitely seemed like the sort of guy who could do well in such a role. After what he's done at Ajax from what I know-not in great detail though- he wouldn't be a bad candidate.

My idea was something like a double team between Overmars and Pires.

That said, I'm actually happy Monchi didn't arrive. I have serious doubts about him.

14. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

No one better to spot a great winger, at the very least

Sapient Hawk and Garrincha like this.
  15. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Overmars doesn't sound far away from what would be required - ability to negotiate good money from sales, encourages promotion from academy and pretty much has to ensure football philosophy at Ajax stays intact regardless of personnel - 3 things that would clearly be ideals Arsenal would like. Whether he's actually doing that well at Ajax is up for debate clearly, but I assume that would be the remit for the man we bring in from the job.

L3T5 PL4Y and say yes like this.
  16. say yes

say yes To VAR

Bit worried about how fat Overmars looks in some of these pictures.

Need our technical director to show more self-control.

17. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

At Dortmund he had some conflict with Tuchel, which is not unusual but you can't really blame the club for his sense of entitlement when it came to getting a promotion here.

squallman likes this.
  18. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Established Member

Monchi’s a bald prick, pass it on.

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  19. Let's play Aubamawang

Let's play Aubamawang Active Member

I'm not sad about missing out on Monchi. When was the last time we hired a bald guy we could trust? Bould will fix our defence....oh wait, not with Wenger in charge. Gazidis...say no more. Monchi? Disaster waiting to happen?

20. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it i'm struggling to think of any bald guy we've had since Henry who has done well..

Anyway no hard feelings to Monchi it doesn't sound like him and arsenal were right for each other .All the best to him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.