• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monreal: Nacho 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think "the unsung hero" pertains only to pundits and such, as fans both on this forum and out have been labeling him as the MVP of the team this season.

What bothers me is that the title is accurate for the media... defenders, especially full backs, never get the praise they deserve. Things like the EA Team of the Week have defenders on them, but you will notice that many of them get in by scoring a goal, not necessarily having a good day doing their actual job of defending. You hear plenty of analysis on teams in the BPL (and all leagues really) and they go to deep lengths on the strikers, the wingers, the play-makers, but the fullbacks get brief mentions and they move on. Just a little rant I needed out of my system...

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
I thought for at least a year he wasnt physical or quick enough for this league but in the last 9-10 months he's improved massively. Best Leftback in the league now for me.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
I think "the unsung hero" pertains only to pundits and such, as fans both on this forum and out have been labeling him as the MVP of the team this season.

What bothers me is that the title is accurate for the media... defenders, especially full backs, never get the praise they deserve. Things like the EA Team of the Week have defenders on them, but you will notice that many of them get in by scoring a goal, not necessarily having a good day doing their actual job of defending. You hear plenty of analysis on teams in the BPL (and all leagues really) and they go to deep lengths on the strikers, the wingers, the play-makers, but the fullbacks get brief mentions and they move on. Just a little rant I needed out of my system...

To be fair, Gary Neville went into a huge segment last year on the development on Bellerin. He got huge praise. I'm quite glad Monreal doesn't get attention.

After Martial's chance I think I saw him yell at Ramsey and Bellerin, telling them to move up and stop inviting pressure. I like that.

David Smith

Established Member
^ Bellerin being 19/20 and thrust into the role (plus performing well) had that effect. Nacho is 29 they don't talk much about this kind of player.

WrightIsGod

Monreal makes Gibbs look like a scared little baby... which is exactly what he is.

mod edit: you were warned about the spam

Last edited by a moderator:

Bould14

Monreal is showing Gibbs how you can be a late bloomer as a player and it's mainly down to making sure you have the basics down.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
He was decently rated at Malaga (being Spain's 2nd choice LB) and we knew he was going to compete with Gibbs for the starting LB spot, but after a slow start, he's blown Gibbs away and is, for my money, the best LB in England currently.

Model of consistency, doesn't get featured much, which is a good thing for a defender, and makes intelligent runs/passes when needed. One of my favorites in the squad.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Always rated him above Gibbs, but he's surpassed even the most optimistic of expectations. The difference when he and Cech is left out is almost alarming.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

As I said at the end of the season, by far our most consistent player last year, and he's improved further this season so far.

No surprises he was missing against Olympiakos, the difference between him and Gibbs is like the difference between Arsenal and Sp**s- MASSIVE.

Best player in the world If we're being honest.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just have to hope if he moves in a year or two we replace externally and not downgrade again to Gibbs.

infineon

Established Member
I think he has become a bit of left-sided version of Sagna (at his best) for us. He doesn't set the world on fire with his forward play but he is becoming so solid at the back.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think he has become a bit of left-sided version of Sagna (at his best) for us. He doesn't set the world on fire with his forward play but he is becoming so solid at the back.
thats harsh on him.

He has two assist this season.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
What? His attacking interplay, runs and composure on the ball is vital to our left side being so threatening. I'd take Bellerin now over a prime Sagna already. It's impossible to measure how valuable pace and attacking ability in a fullback is.

africe

As I said at the end of the season, by far our most consistent player last year, and he's improved further this season so far.

No surprises he was missing against Olympiakos, the difference between him and Gibbs is like the difference between Arsenal and Sp**s- MASSIVE.

Best player in the world If we're being honest.
I'm not Gibbs' biggest fan, but isn't that a bit much?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Monreal has been solid for some time now, to the media he manages to play under the radar. His link up play with Özil & Alexis is very good on the left. You often see Monreal in the corner as part of a triangle with Özil and Alexis, they all have a great touch. I hate to say it but if you put Gibbs in that triangle it breaks down.

haha_arsenal

He's been super solid so far, since that goal at ManU last year,

what's his chance of represent his country ?
Azipilcueta(whatever his name is) and Jordi Alba are in front of him?

and Hector, really want him to get called from Spain.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Love him. Best LB in country. Complete fullback and a great character.
Simple as that. Simple as simple he makes everything look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom