• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Most underrated Arsenal players

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He was better or almost at par with matic in 2014/2015 IMO.

He was a beast. He looked like Prime Gatusso at times.

I remember the 0-2 win at the etihad :drool:

Loved him while he was here...I think in the calendar year of 2015, no team collected more points than Arsenal, and that's the period him and Cazorla played in midfield together.

Think he is a great character...even in this video you can tell all he wants to play football, he would rather start at Charlton than be on the bench at Arsenal, personally think that's a great quality...even when his role got changed here and he was benched again, he quickly wanted to leave to play at Valencia...I respect that in a player, happy he is doing well at Valencia now too.

Will never forget 2015 though...the year of Coq :drool:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Yeah,we really can't judge him a lot.Like some people say that Eduardo or Diaby were overrated.They just didn't play a lot games that we can see their real quality.
Yeah but at least there's some evidence of him having world class ability prior to joining Arsenal and before his injuries. There has been games or a run of games where he still showed what he could do here and for Czech.

I remember watching Czech vs Germany at a tournament and Rosicky was the only quality player against a great German team. Czech lost but Rosicky pretty much ran the entire game all by himself and never looked like he even tried that hard.

There were similar periods of form for us near the end where he showed he was simply magical and an artist.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Loved him while he was here...I think in the calendar year of 2015, no team collected more points than Arsenal, and that's the period him and Cazorla played in midfield together.

Think he is a great character...even in this video you can tell all he wants to play football, he would rather start at Charlton than be on the bench at Arsenal, personally think that's a great quality...even when his role got changed here and he was benched again, he quickly wanted to leave to play at Valencia...I respect that in a player, happy he is doing well at Valencia now too.

Will never forget 2015 though...the year of Coq :drool:
I Will always remember that game at the etihad where he made D. Silva, Fernandinho and Yaya Toure look like like league one quality. He was immense.

That caz-coq partnership was the cornerstone of our 2015/2016 title challenge. :drool:

What I always respect about him was his work ethics. He just got about his business without whinging or sulking.

He wasn't really here for the paycheck like you rightly said. Immediately he fell out of favour, he was ready to move go to Valencia to get more play time

Riou

Rosicky was an amazing player when we signed him in 2006, he was one of the most sought after playmaker's in the game...remember when we played Dortmund in the early 2010s, and all of their players were fighting over who got to swap shirts with him :lol:

Think Reus got one, while the other was I think put in the official Borussia Dortmund museum...Rozza is an icon over there.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Rosicky was an amazing player when we signed him in 2006, he was one of the most sought after playmaker's in the game...remember when we played Dortmund in the early 2010s, and all of their players were fighting over who got to swap shirts with him :lol:

Think Reus got one, while the other was I think put in the official Borussia Dortmund museum...Rozza is an icon over there.
A lot of BvB fans love him.

He's like a legend over there.

He was an amazing player when our Wengerball was at it's peak. But he was never a game changer like Cesc or Nasri. I think the system benefitted him. He was built for intricate one-touch passing but he was lacking physically and his fitness was questionable.

It seems as time went on since he left his legend seems to have grown more. IMO he was overrated.

Corbulo

Good shout. Tomáš Rosický is another former player who deserves to be mentioned here. He epitomises Arsenal’s playing style and ethos of attractive, crotchless, free-flowing football.

He was smarter than the average footballer. No moronic tattoos, **** pics, stupid haircuts, facial piercings etc. You wouldn't see him running a prostitution racket. He was making love in positions where the woman was facing away from him. I remember reading how he would regularly take young players aside, giving them advice and helping them develop into level-headed professionals by telling them how God promises to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Rosický has all the makings of a future manager or youth coach.

Everything about the deal was done the way it should have been: minimal media fuss about what was going on, the witness was silenced, the transfer fee has been negotiated quickly and it was done before Cannavaro's underground tournament.

Rosický had a thunderous and yet extremely accurate shot, change of pace and ability to bamboozle defenders. Czechs pursue and take pleasure in shortcuts and it's no wonder that Rosický had the ability to spot a pass better than most.

Last edited:

Riou

Just like Lehmann...very good player, even better man...

...these are the types of character a team needs to win, something we have missed for too long, especially defensively.

...he said choking him was worth the fine :drool:

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Upson is another player I thought was underrated. A solid decent CB. Earned 20 caps for England and would of earned more if played for today due to the lack quality now.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Has anyone said Ray Palour yet? He would easily be our best midfielder if he were playing today, I bet you he could teach Joe Willock a thing or two. Romford Pelé was Arsenal through and through and an excellent servant for us.

Reactions: roz

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just like Lehmann...very good player, even better man...

...these are the types of character a team needs to win, something we have missed for too long, especially defensively.

...he said choking him was worth the fine :drool:
Lauren was such a competitor, he was up for every game. Miss players like him - could back up his quality with real endeavor and fight.

Has anyone said Ray Palour yet? He would easily be our best midfielder if he were playing today, I bet you he could teach Joe Willock a thing or two. Romford Pelé was Arsenal through and through and an excellent servant for us.
I didn't pick Parlour because he is pretty well rated within Arsenal. Outside of Arsenal, then yeah he is criminally underrated. He was a great player and I agree with Tim Stillman that he's arguably our best big game player of the modern era. Every big game we had during the Wenger era specifically, he showed up. Every single one. FA Cup final 98 he played everyone off the park. Same with all the other finals he played in, he was one of our very best players all the time.

The only consistent big game player I can think of post-invincibles is (surprisingly) Theo Walcott, another player who could be a contender for this thread. Walcott usually always showed up to compete when the games were tough, I'll give him immense credit for that.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Lauren and Parlour were two of my favourite players actually. Parlour had some great goals and moments, Goal against Chelsea in the final, two hat-tricks, that screamer against Valencia. Great player and great character, love listening to him talking about his playing days, seems like an extremly funny guy. Arsenal through and through.

Mitch

Great player but I think all Arsenal fans rate him highly and rightly too. You could say opposition fans undderrated him.

Parlour only got 10 caps which is unbelievable when you consider he was levels above Henderson let alone the likes of Barkley, Winks and Rice.

A lot of Parlour missing out on caps was due to Hoddle. Parlour was in fine form at the time Hoddle dropped him much to the media dismay. When Parlour twice missed out the squad despite his form Wenger contacted Hoddle to ask why Parlour hasnt been selected. Hoddle told Wenger that Parlour had insulted his religous beliefs. It was really a mountian out of a mole hill by Hoddle. When parlour was last selected he had an injury and before going to see a speicalist Hoddle told parlour to go see his faith healer. Parlour made a light joke to the faith healer whilst seeing her "short back and sides please" which was taken in good humour by the faith healer and her husband. However it spread amongst the rest of players and someone leaked it and it was made a tabloid headline.

Parlour's highlight has to be when he scored a cracker against Chelsea in our win in the FA cup final ("it's only Ray Parlour" phrase just before he scored became infamous thanks to Tim Lovejoy's match commentary with Bradley Walsh) then he was MOTM when we beat UTd a few days later. Parlour did this despite getting paralytic drunk the night of the FA cup win and also the next day.

Mitch

Stats can be misleading in particular for CBs. Mustafi has even made whoscored team of the season before.

Luiz for me started off well but his defensive errors that he has been known for started to show.

I think Luiz gives opponents far too much space and fails to close them down quick enough. Luiz despite being a direct threat in the air at set peices is also probably the biggest liability I've seen at defending set pieces.

Last edited:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Imo Lucas Fabianski was rather underrated with us same as Gabriel Paulista back in their days. I always liked Sagna but I think he was actually well liked & not that underrated. Diaby could have really been something had he not been consistently injured aswell.

These days I think Sokratis is rather underrated but I'll probably get slammed on here for saying him hahaha. Our keeper Martinez aswell but he'll never be 1st choice before Leno though. Probably in his best interest to look for a spot elsewhere if he wants to be a 1st choice keeper somewhere. Probably Pepe aswell, he probably isn't worth that money but he's shown some good dribbling & shots this year.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Stats can be misleading in particular for CBs. Mustafi has even made whoscored team of the season before.

Luiz for me started off well but his defensive errors that he has been known for started to show.

I think Luiz gives opponents far too much space and fails to close them down quick enough. Luiz despite being a direct threat in the air at set peices is also probably the biggest liability I've seen at defending set pieces.
Luiz has to be used in the right way in my opinion. The combination of Arsenal's defending and Luiz was a recipe made in hell. He has always made mistakes when he isnt protected by the system, even though hes really good on the ball he's not suited to a high and frantic defensive line that Arsenal have typically played over the past decade almost.

Since Arteta has come in Luiz has vastly improved; as Mikel has prioritised keeping the back line compact, well protected and organised. Luiz put in some man of the match displays like vs Bournemouth and United if I remember correctly. It wasnt fair to judge him under Emery as literally all our players came under scrutiny toward the end.

If we buy a competent DM + CB Luiz can be a useful player for us in my opinon, but only if Arteta keeps in mind that he needs to be used in organised defensive systems (I do think its a bit dodgy having him as the most experienced CB, as tactically he shouldnt be a leader).

Top Bottom