• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Naturally gifted slightly underrated footballers?

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Sergen was a party animal and gambler. Being the best footballer he could be was never a priority for him, he just enjoyed playing football and happened to be very good at it. He acknowledges it himself. He once said "Big clubs in Europe are really thorough with their research. Bayern Munich wanted to sign me back in the day, then they did their research, so it didn't happen."

I remember the first year of Abramovich they played Besiktas at Stamford Bridge and Yalcin destroyed them that night. Really gifted player.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Sergen was a party animal and gambler. Being the best footballer he could be was never a priority for him, he just enjoyed playing football and happened to be very good at it. He acknowledges it himself. He once said "Big clubs in Europe are really thorough with their research. Bayern Munich wanted to sign me back in the day, then they did their research, so it didn't happen."

Going the Turkish route, I'd argue that the entire midfield trio of the Turkish national team that placed 3rd in the 2002 World Cup fits this bill. Tugay Kerimoğlu, Emre Belözoğlu and Yıldıray Baştürk. All three had brilliant technique, vision and balance. Tugay was an unsung hero of the Premiership at Blackburn, Emre had his shots at Inter and Newcastle but was never consistent enough with his recurring injuries, and Yıldıray peaked early at Leverkusen and had his career derailed by injuries also.

Sorcerer.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Gheorghe Hagi is another one who comes in mind.. Absolutely destroyed Petit and Vieira in the UEFA cup final at the age of 35
Hagi is probably the most underrated legend of the 90s. Won the European Cup with Steaua, played for Real and Barcelona, took Romania to the quarters of the World Cup and the Euros, and won Galatasaray a UEFA Cup and a Super Cup as the clear best player on the team.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Hagi is probably the most underrated legend of the 90s. Won the European Cup with Steaua, played for Real and Barcelona, took Romania to the quarters of the World Cup and the Euros, and won Galatasaray a UEFA Cup and a Super Cup as the clear best player on the team.

Underrated? By whom?

Man was included in World Cup Allstar teams and 4th in Balon d'or behind Stoichkov, Baggio and Maldini.

Dont think anyone out there who doesnt rate Hagi.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Underrated? By whom?

Man was included in World Cup Allstar teams and 4th in Balon d'or behind Stoichkov, Baggio and Maldini.

Dont think anyone out there who doesnt rate Hagi.
Underrated in retrospect I mean. Wasn't underrated at the time.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Underrated in retrospect I mean. Wasn't underrated at the time.

Is he?

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Hagi, with Hagi I suppose the issue is lack of glamour you sometimes get when being from unfashionable nations like Romania.

You could say it about quite a lot of eastern block players of the past, no one really remembers them as fondly as the big nation dogs.

Stoichkov, Hagi, I doubt Puskas would get much love fame if he didnt have an award named after him.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
The 'underrated' part of this discussion is really difficult, under appreciated may be a better fit as when you look back no one is really underrating many of the names listed and it seems to be more of a case of having a mix of underachieving compared to talent and less fan appreciation/love compared to there team mates from the same era.

Its very difficult to play for Real Madrid or whoever and be underrated and if some one is underrating then they probably dont know **** a out football.

But then you get a Matt Le Tissier who was at a **** club and never did much for England but everyone was still aware of his talent.

Good thread by OP.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
The 'underrated' part of this discussion is really difficult, under appreciated may be a better fit as when you look back no one is really underrating many of the names listed and it seems to be more of a case of having a mix of underachieving compared to talent and less fan appreciation/love compared to there team mates from the same era.

Its very difficult to play for Real Madrid or whoever and be underrated and if some one is underrating then they probably dont know **** a out football.

But then you get a Matt Le Tissier who was at a **** club and never did much for England but everyone was still aware of his talent.

Good thread by OP.
Matt Le Tissier was unreal.. Would've loved to have had him at Arsenal...

Bloodbather

Established Member

Is he?

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Hagi, with Hagi I suppose the issue is lack of glamour you sometimes get when being from unfashionable nations like Romania.

You could say it about quite a lot of eastern block players of the past, no one really remembers them as fondly as the big nation dogs.

Stoichkov, Hagi, I doubt Puskas would get much love fame if he didnt have an award named after him.
Well underrated doesn't mean not rated at all. Think Hagi isn't one of the names that people instantly think about when it comes to the top players of the 90s, but he really should be. You are correct on the reason, his European triumphs came for a Romanian club and a Turkish club, and his national team was Romania, for whom making the quarters was a major achievement.

Kav

Established Member
I suppose this thread is really about players we think are very good but don’t get talked about as much. If so let’s go:-

Di Canio
David Ginola
Zola
Joe Cole
Berbatov

Pablo Aimar
Ariel Ortega
Rui Costa

Valderrama

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I suppose this thread is really about players we think are very good but don’t get talked about as much. If so let’s go:-

Di Canio
David Ginola
Zola
Joe Cole
Berbatov

Pablo Aimar
Ariel Ortega
Rui Costa

Valderrama

Cant lie but I didnt think much of Joe Cole, good player but nothing more.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Kanu, 100%...

...he's probably the most skilful player, to ever play for The Arsenal...definitely doesn't get the acclaim he deserves, imo.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Calum Chambers: No, I don’t think he’s one of football’s elites like others have mentioned but his technique is very good. It’s a shame he has zero athleticism because he would be appreciated more.

Moussa Dembele: Was there a more press-resistant midfielder in the league when he was at Sp**s? Could dribble his way out of telephone box. My type of midfielder. Big and strong but dripping in sauce *pause*.

Nani: I’m kinda surprised how no one speaks of Nani these days. He’s not even considered a “streets won’t forget” type of guy. Excellent dribbler and destroyed Arsenal many times. His last two seasons at United were inconsistent but when he was on it he was a great winger to watch.

Diego: I don’t remember his full name but he played his best years at Wolfsburg and Athletico Madrid, and I always thought he was class. In the 2010s, when speaking of attacking midfielders, you would hear names like Özil, Mata, Sneijder, David Silva etc etc but rarely was the Brazilian brought up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom