• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nemanja Matic

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
If any transfer rumor thread should be locked, it's this one.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Ran across this analysis of Matic by Nick Wright on Sky Sports. Some interesting bits that point to why he would also be a good signing for Arsène Wenger (although, again, I am skeptical of any talk of a swap deal).

Matic's quiet return to form has evidently not gone unnoticed by his old manager. And while some United fans might favour an exciting, young alternative such as Monaco's Fabinho or Tottenham's Eric Dier, it is perhaps significant that Mourinho frequently bemoaned the lack of winners in his squad last season.

"Playing to win, responsibility to win, coping with the pressure to win," he said in February, "this is something that has to belong in your natural habitat and for some guys it doesn't." Since then, the issue has been exacerbated by the departure of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

In a rejuvenated Matic, he would be acquiring a player with the mentality and experience he craves. The 28-year-old is not the most vocal presence on the pitch but he is a commanding character who exudes authority. It was Matic, remember, who gave Chelsea's rousing team talk before their Capital One Cup final triumph over Tottenham in March 2015.

Mourinho would relish that kind of presence in the Manchester United dressing room, and Matic would also give him options on the pitch. Ander Herrera performed well at the base of United's midfield when called upon last season, but he is not a natural holding player. Matic is, and he offers more quality than Marouane Fellaini and more athleticism than Carrick.

Matic might not offer quite the same level of distribution as Carrick, but he is more than comfortable in possession and Mourinho has praised his passing ability in the past. "It is difficult for him to lose the ball," he said in March 2015. "But at the same time, he is not the kind of guy to play square passes. He can keep possession, but he can see the movement forward, passing into space."

That was more apparent than ever last season. Matic is better known for playing the pass before the pass, but his total of seven Premier League assists in 2016/17 was the third-highest at Chelsea and higher than any player at Manchester United. It's an encouraging sign of improvement.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...anja-matic-would-make-sense-for-jose-mourinho

LacazetteAFC

Ran across this analysis of Matic by Nick Wright on Sky Sports. Some interesting bits that point to why he would also be a good signing for Arséne Wenger (although, again, I am skeptical of any talk of a swap deal).

Matic's quiet return to form has evidently not gone unnoticed by his old manager. And while some United fans might favour an exciting, young alternative such as Monaco's Fabinho or Tottenham's Eric Dier, it is perhaps significant that Mourinho frequently bemoaned the lack of winners in his squad last season.

"Playing to win, responsibility to win, coping with the pressure to win," he said in February, "this is something that has to belong in your natural habitat and for some guys it doesn't." Since then, the issue has been exacerbated by the departure of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

In a rejuvenated Matic, he would be acquiring a player with the mentality and experience he craves. The 28-year-old is not the most vocal presence on the pitch but he is a commanding character who exudes authority. It was Matic, remember, who gave Chelsea's rousing team talk before their Capital One Cup final triumph over Tottenham in March 2015.

Mourinho would relish that kind of presence in the Manchester United dressing room, and Matic would also give him options on the pitch. Ander Herrera performed well at the base of United's midfield when called upon last season, but he is not a natural holding player. Matic is, and he offers more quality than Marouane Fellaini and more athleticism than Carrick.

Matic might not offer quite the same level of distribution as Carrick, but he is more than comfortable in possession and Mourinho has praised his passing ability in the past. "It is difficult for him to lose the ball," he said in March 2015. "But at the same time, he is not the kind of guy to play square passes. He can keep possession, but he can see the movement forward, passing into space."

That was more apparent than ever last season. Matic is better known for playing the pass before the pass, but his total of seven Premier League assists in 2016/17 was the third-highest at Chelsea and higher than any player at Manchester United. It's an encouraging sign of improvement.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...anja-matic-would-make-sense-for-jose-mourinho

Chelsea fans reckon Matic hasn't been the same since a horror tackle a couple of years back. He's far less aggressive and less mobile now by all accounts. He wins about half as many tackles and interceptions and he can't drive the ball up the pitch with his runs the same way anymore.

You've talked about distance covered but it's the pace that distance is covered at. Özil covers loads of distance but not at speed, which we lack in the centre of the park.

As for his assists, I watched 6 of them, a couple were flick ons from corners, another was a pass in his own half where Hazard ran the length of the pitch and none of them show much in the way of creative ability.

I'd take Matic but alongside Xhaka I don't think they contemplate each other. Although his height and all round play would be welcome.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Chelsea fans reckon Matic hasn't been the same since a horror tackle a couple of years back. He's far less aggressive and less mobile now by all accounts. He wins about half as many tackles and interceptions and he can't drive the ball up the pitch with his runs the same way anymore.

You've talked about distance covered but it's the pace that distance is covered at. Özil covers loads of distance but not at speed, which we lack in the centre of the park.

As for his assists, I watched 6 of them, a couple were flick ons from corners, another was a pass in his own half where Hazard ran the length of the pitch and none of them show much in the way of creative ability.

I'd take Matic but alongside Xhaka I don't think they contemplate each other. Although his height and all round play would be welcome.
There you go. This is exactly what I was talking about earlier

logic DC

would not mind him at all, he has that aggression and smart defensive play that is missing in our midfield, also I don't think he is the same player as Xhaka, Matic is more tactically aware and very good defensively. xhaka and matic partnership would guarantee us top 2 if we were to keep Sanchez.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
We're not signing this donkey. With Xhaka in there already we'd be stupid to sign another snail. He doesn't suit us at all, we need a Ramsey type who can contribute offensively.

Absolute joke of a rumour started by that clown Di Marzio, who never has got anything Arsenal related right.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

world class.
not going to happen.
hope he doesnt go to united.

Matic-Herrera-Pogba would easily be the best balanced midfield in the league, combine that with Bailly and Lindelof at the back and they'd be a far tougher team all of a sudden.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Matic-Herrera-Pogba would easily be the best balanced midfield in the league, combine that with Bailly and Lindelof at the back and they'd be a far tougher team all of a sudden.
The most underwhelming midfield among the top sides tbh. Who is even top class in there? Maybe Pogba if he becomes good again. Matic and Herrera are good but not much more. All they'll have is size, would be lacking a bit in mobility and technically as well.

I'll admit the Stoke-ish on steroid team of giants Mourinho is building could be scary to go against though. Will have to be one of the biggest and most physical teams in Europe.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Matic resolves any midfield in England, not only United. in order to understand how important he is you have to understand football. Matic is right there with Kross, Xavi alonso, Javi Martinez, Yaya Toure (in the past) Thiago Motta, and Khedira. Xhaka can be that player for us, a guy that the entire team surrounds around.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
The most underwhelming midfield among the top sides tbh. Who is even top class in there? Maybe Pogba if he becomes good again. Matic and Herrera are good but not much more. All they'll have is size, would be lacking a bit in mobility and technically as well.
learn about football, stop playing videogames and watching highlights.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'll admit the Stoke-ish on steroid team of giants Mourinho is building could be scary to go against though. Will have to be one of the biggest and most physical teams in Europe.

Matic has won 2 PL titles since being back with Chelsea, surely him being in those midfield's and contributing shows what he's capable of while Herrera was one United's best players last season and is a vital big game player for Mourinho. Pogba can pick out any ball to a front 3 consisting of Rashford, Lukaku and I assume Mkhitaryan unless they sign Perisic. They'll be hard to break down, can control and dominate games and will be lethal in the transition. We've been here before with Chelsea just before the 14/15 season when Mourinho has a settled team he'll have them a well drilled machine with a winning mentality.

For me a Matic, Herrera and Pogba 3 is somewhat reminiscent of the Matic, Ramires and Fabregas 3 that he'd play at Chelsea in the big games. Matic doing the same role for both teams, Herrera doing the hard working role that Ramires did and Pogba being the creator like Cesc was.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom