• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Newbie fan question

NYMark

Sorry guys. Dumb question from an American.
When Arsenal plays in the Premier League and the Champions League are they playing the same players? How large is the rosters?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Sorry guys. Dumb question from an American.
When Arsenal plays in the Premier League and the Champions League are they playing the same players? How large is the rosters?

Hey man its not a dumb question! Basically the squad size (what you call roster) for the premier league is up to 25 I believe, and they have to pick the best 21 for a champions league squad, so yes the same team plays both in the Premier League and Champions league, however some rotation will take place if against an easier opposition. This is all off the top of my head so I don't know how correct it is haha.

NYMark

Thanks man. Totally new to football and EPL and the Gunners
Liking it tho.
Visited the emirates stadium but only the outside.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hey man its not a dumb question! Basically the squad size (what you call roster) for the premier league is up to 25 I believe, and they have to pick the best 21 for a champions league squad, so yes the same team plays both in the Premier League and Champions league, however some rotation will take place if against an easier opposition. This is all off the top of my head so I don't know how correct it is haha.

We can also field U-21 players even if they aren't included in the 25 man squad

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So @NYMark this question has a simple answer, but also a complex one.

The simple answer is "yes."

For the most part the squads for the Premier League and Champions League are exactly the same, and this is why having a large squad is so important for soccer. The top teams play twice a week and they need to win almost all of those matches to stay at the top, so squad rotation is incredibly important. Having 11 good players isn't enough. You need to have almost 20 top players.

The complex answer is "basically yes," but consists of the various labels that each player has when they are registered to play in the EPL or the Champions League. Since these are two completely separate leagues they have their own quota systems regarding certain types of players. The EPL has "home grown" players and the Champions League does not (I believe). Therefore the same player may be labeled has "home grown" in the EPL and as something else in the Champions League. There are other labels too, but I don't feel like getting too caught up in it right now.

Despite these technicalities teams usually register roughly the same squads for both competitions, but sometimes key players can miss out on the Champions League due to their different registration requirements.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Thanks guys - lots to learn!

It can get complicated when we buy a player in Jan, are they legible to play CL? That depends on their involvement in the CL group stages and if their previous team is involved in the knock outs. We will worry about that if it happens :)

One other point, last year we left Giroud out of the 25 because we knew he would be out until Jan, then we added him for the knock outs, which is allowed. Should have done the same this year with Welbeck but unfortunately he was included which was a strange decision.

NYMark

Well again this is all above my knowledge base for now. Good to be learning. Really would love to get to the Emirates to see a match.

Top Bottom