• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nice day for a sulk.......

Wembley79

Just found this post (I was actually looking for a picture of EIN - but that's another story lol) and would like to add my comments to the excellent posts.

I grew up following football in the early 70s, and Liverpool were, to be frank, knigs at that time. I never felt any animosity toward them as a child, and even cheered them on in the live european matches they always seemed to be in (grrr!). I remember (for some bizarre reason) that they seemed to play Grasshoppers and Borussia Monchengladbach (spelling?) a lot in europe!

As time went on, and I started gaining a more adult appreciation of the game, I must admit that Liverpool supporters are the ones that I always felt an affinity with - their club, like ours, had class and history.

Funnily, I never found liverpool to be as arrogant in their success as Man U were in theirs (maybe my view on the world was slightly different, who knows?) and whilst I cheered Liverpool on in Istanbul, I felt physically sick when Man U came back to win their European Cup.

In my job, I travel all over the country, and spend a fair bit of time in and around liverpool (principally Kirkby, but other places as well), and always feel that I can have a good laugh with both liverpool (and everton) supporters, and they generally seem knowledgable and loyal supporters. They can take as well as give, in terms of football banter, but will always wish us good luck in the next fixture, even against themselves.

For me, my most enduring memories of Arsenal and Liverpool, will be 1989, and the Arsenal team throwing flowers into the crowd - genuinely bought a tear to my eye. I was at work on the day of Hillsborough, and had arranged to watch the match live. I was 22, and I cried my eyes out in front of everyone for football, and the poor supporters that day.

If Liverpool had been against anyone other than Arsenal for the title that year, I would have been wearing a shirt with the Liver Bird on it and cheering them on.

As they say vive la difference - but then again, maybe we aren't that different after all :D

Latest posts+

Top Bottom