• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

Alkesh

None of the PepeHive are actually saying he played well, he was poor (as was everybody), but we’re definitely enjoying people like you having a fit because he got some stats on the board.

I genuinely would love if he played **** every game and racked up the goals/assists. A lot of you wouldn’t know what to do with yourselves. 🥲

I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong person (x-posted from a different thread?).

I would also love it if he played **** every game and racked up the goals/assists (though, if he did, he wouldn't be "playing ****," I'd imagine). It would be great if he didn't score/assist once every ~3 PL games. But that's where we're at, and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

I genuinely hope he grows the consistency in his game; his purple patch last year was a lot of fun. If he was all end product and nothing else, he would be a great player for the current Arsenal front line. But as it stands, he lacks both end product and everything else.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Terrible first touches today but he was dangerous throughout the game. As long as we have a manager who is completely unable to implement a system that would produce chances consistently, we need unpredictable players like Nico even if he can be frustrating at times

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Think ESR is a better wide playmaker than a central one, tbh.

Been trying to tell A-M this forever. When we were first rumoured with Ødegaard everyone saying that he was going to ruin ESR, or worse, what BigPoppaPump said (that he'd only be a backup to ESR at 10), when it was always a false dilemma, ESR does not have the creativity or the final ball at the moment to be a primary 10, he's a classic interior / wide playmaker, and anyways, if we're to move him centrally, he has more potential as an offensive 8 / ball-carrier (needle I think was the term tactics nerds like to use) than as a 10. It's also been--wide playmaker / interior wide player--where ESR played 90% of his games at youth ranks.

Re: Pepe, wasn't his best game but more and more I watch him the more I think he basically needs to be part of our XI in the majority of games, and the more he is one of my favourite players for the danger he possesses in certain spaces, even if he only makes the right decision in the vital moment like 1 out of every 3 times. It's ESR who should probably be dropped and getting most of his minutes as a second half substitution, for me. And that's coming from someone who loves the balance, in theory, of a wide interior midfielder on one side and a more traditional forward / winger on the other side. But Saka is such a good playmaker that it almost works out this way anyways and Saka > ESR.

Alkesh

It's ESR who should probably be dropped and getting most of his minutes as a second half substitution, for me. And that's coming from someone who loves the balance, in theory, of a wide interior midfielder on one side and a more traditional forward / winger on the other side. But Saka is such a good playmaker that it almost works out this way anyways and Saka > ESR.

Not the ESR thread, but given our struggles at finding consistency in the midfield, I wouldn't be surprised if ESR sees minutes there this season. I think you're right that playing if he's play inside it would be better for him to play deeper.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
One of the few players you can trust to deliver end product atm. His touch all over the place though lol.

db10fan

Been trying to tell A-M this forever. When we were first rumoured with Ødegaard everyone saying that he was going to ruin ESR, or worse, what BigPoppaPump said (that he'd only be a backup to ESR at 10), when it was always a false dilemma, ESR does not have the creativity or the final ball at the moment to be a primary 10, he's a classic interior / wide playmaker, and anyways, if we're to move him centrally, he has more potential as an offensive 8 / ball-carrier (needle I think was the term tactics nerds like to use) than as a 10. It's also been--wide playmaker / interior wide player--where ESR played 90% of his games at youth ranks.

Re: Pepe, wasn't his best game but more and more I watch him the more I think he basically needs to be part of our XI in the majority of games, and the more he is one of my favourite players for the danger he possesses in certain spaces, even if he only makes the right decision in the vital moment like 1 out of every 3 times. It's ESR who should probably be dropped and getting most of his minutes as a second half substitution, for me. And that's coming from someone who loves the balance, in theory, of a wide interior midfielder on one side and a more traditional forward / winger on the other side. But Saka is such a good playmaker that it almost works out this way anyways and Saka > ESR.
Playing a diamond midfield can be a solid option while rotating our best midfielders to keep them fresh all season :
6 : Sambi, Partey, Elneny, White, Chambers.
Double 8 : Partey, Saka, ESR, Sambi, AMN.
10 : Ode, ESR.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Can say what you want about the guy but any goals we're ever likely to score will involve him in some way.
That's why I always shake my head when I see peoples preferred line ups without him in. He is the only forward player we have that consistently comes up with assists and goals even when he puts in a poorer performance like today. I like ESR, Ode and Saka, they are much less frustrating to watch than Pepe but I will put it out there now and back Pepe to get more goals and assists than all three put together this season.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Worst performance I’ve seen from him for quite a while (first half) everything bounced off him today. I rate his touch though so I dunno what happened.

Out of the entire front line he’s the only one who provides any danger for me at the moment. As much as the forum breds Saka and ESR they just don’t do enough. Auba as much as I defend him is crazy suss nowadays I barely recognise him.

If Pepe or Saka doesn’t force something we’re low-key screwed every match. Too reliant on individual quality and we ain’t even got killers like that, it’s a bit sad.

WiscoGooner8

I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong person (x-posted from a different thread?).

I would also love it if he played **** every game and racked up the goals/assists (though, if he did, he wouldn't be "playing ****," I'd imagine). It would be great if he didn't score/assist once every ~3 PL games. But that's where we're at, and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

I genuinely hope he grows the consistency in his game; his purple patch last year was a lot of fun. If he was all end product and nothing else, he would be a great player for the current Arsenal front line. But as it stands, he lacks both end product and everything else.
Well in his defense the team as a whole is at one goal and assist every 3 games. So this year he’s involved in 100% of our goals lol.

TinFish

Feel sorry for him to be honest. Obviously not a £70 million player and he will never live up to that standard. Said in the matchday thread - he's overhyped due to his price tag that was a result of blatant corruption.

I don't know why any arrests haven't been made.

However I do hope he will improve and become more useful to the team going forward. He has it all to prove this season otherwise he will fade away.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Feel sorry for him to be honest. Obviously not a £70 million payer and he will never live up to that standard. Said in the matchday thread - he's overhyped due to his price tag that was a result of blatant corruption.

I don't know why any arrests haven't been made.

However I do hope he will improve and become more useful to the team going forward. He has it all to prove this season otherwise he will fade away.
Fully agreed. 90% of the 'glass half full posts' in this thread and its predecessors are wishful thinking due to his purchase price. He can be a useful player, but unless he gets bit by a radioactive spider (or maybe Ronaldo, if he takes a nibble at Old Trafford in a few months), he's not going to be special.

db10fan

This team needs 2 of Auba/Laca/Pepe starting to have enough goals, too bad until now Arteta cant figure out how.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
He’s got the rest of the season to show he can be a top class player. If he’s still playing like this by the end then it’s time to cut our losses. I rate him very highly but if it’s not going to happen then there has to be an end.

Top Bottom