• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Pepe and Sterling are kind of similar in what they bring to a team btw. Sterling is a worse finisher than Pepe but better technically, one is shorter and more explosive while Pepe (when he first came) was much better at beating defenders.

Their bread and butter is using their pace and movement to get onto passes and score goals. They’re pretty much average when not doing that and Pepe hasn’t been doing that pretty much his entire Arsenal career. You’ll get glimpses of talent and stuff but you’re never going to see the guy we paid so much for until somebody decides to actually use him properly.

Pepe (last season anyway) compared pretty well with the best wide forwards in the league, the main difference was lack of opportunity. I pretty much proved this at some point in summer but nobody cared. So there’s no point of signing Sterling or any other wide forward really as we’ll just get slightly better versions of the same disappointment.

I'm all for building the team around Pepe... Given that he can prove at the very least that he is better than Theo Walcott at playing football when called upon in 11 players system that is not all about him.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I do get the build your side around X player arguement generally.

The player in question has to produce to a very high degree in what he's good at consistently, if you're going to set up the whole side to get the best out of him and cover for his deficiencies though.

You can't really say Pepe has ever looked that calibre of player consistently though.
Pounding the EL group stages and some dead rubber matches in the PL isn't enough.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You can't really say Pepe has ever looked that calibre of player consistently though.
Pounding the EL group stages and some dead rubber matches in the PL isn't enough.
If we are honest, games like those are the only type of games we were able to play in recent years, that's with or without Pepe. We have a negative goal difference atm, it should tell you enough about the setup we have, and it's hardly a fair environment to test what some wide player or a forward can do, doesn't even have to be Pepe.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I do get the build your side around X player arguement generally.

The player in question has to produce to a very high degree in what he's good at consistently, if you're going to set up the whole side to get the best out of him and cover for his deficiencies though.

It happens at every club but it's not nearly as deep or as big an operation as some seem to think.

They train together every day. The manager speaks tactics with them regularly enough and they know each others games inside out and to be able to cover each other in-game by talking, shouting or swearing without some need for one of them to made a special case. They have starting positions and lots of instructions. The rest is down to them. How they perform and communicate is all down to them, and that's how the team is picked. Funny how people seem to think because one team has a stand out player who does well more of then than not, the team must be built around them. Makes zero logical sense whichever way you think about. May well work to great effect on a 41" monitor, but it doesn't happen on grass. They've ALL got jobs to do.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Pepe and Sterling are kind of similar in what they bring to a team btw. Sterling is a worse finisher than Pepe but better technically, one is shorter and more explosive while Pepe (when he first came) was much better at beating defenders.

Their bread and butter is using their pace and movement to get onto passes and score goals. They’re pretty much average when not doing that and Pepe hasn’t been doing that pretty much his entire Arsenal career. You’ll get glimpses of talent and stuff but you’re never going to see the guy we paid so much for until somebody decides to actually use him properly.

Pepe (last season anyway) compared pretty well with the best wide forwards in the league, the main difference was lack of opportunity. I pretty much proved this at some point in summer but nobody cared. So there’s no point of signing Sterling or any other wide forward really as we’ll just get slightly better versions of the same disappointment.
Sterling plays like the more accomplished, experienced player. He's calm when he's not involved and he seems to respect the game more which has probably come from having top class players around him for most of his career. Pepe was taking his chances when he came on as sub last season, the difference is he hasn't this season yet, but he will at some point.

Sterling plays like the more accomplished, experienced player. He's calm when he's not involved and he seems to respect the game more which has probably come from having top class players around him for most of his career. Pepe was taking his chances when he came on as sub last season, the difference is he hasn't this season yet, but he will at some point.

Like my good mate @BigPoppaPump would say, "he will take his chances when we start playing our EL group games!" He will then probably add 5 goals more on that after the season is over and there is nothing to play for!

MikeVinna

Established Member
It’s just been a big mismatch of player vs tactics. With him hugging the sideline he’s constantly required to beat 2 or 3 men to get anywhere near goal. It’s just not working out. We also rarely play him into space. I mean he’s got some decent pace to work with but it’s never used to good effect,

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I get what you're saying, and do agree it's harder than it should be for forwards in out system under Arteta, mainly because we don't play the ball in behind near as often as we should with the types of player we have up top, but I think with Sterling he is more than just the typical "wide forward". He can come in and play between like lines (played 10 for Liverpool under Rodgers) and has really good combination play. I think this is really important for Arteta and probably why he refuses to give Pepe a proper run.

I think there are parallels with the way Arteta and Southgate set up, and Sterling was arguably England's best player at the Euros.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Sterling wouldn't be the answer to replace Pepe but sorry, he's a simply a much better footballer than him. I'm not even sure if he's better technically but he has a better appreciation of where his team mates are on the pitch and when to attack space which means he's able to use his technique more effectively. His first touch, close control, low centre of gravity and balance make him much more resilient when running with the ball at speed, and he's improved both his composure and decision making in the final third significantly.

Di Maria is a good footballer but he was also just as lightweight and ill suited to the PL. I feel Pepe is of the same mould, and would flourish in a different system or league.

Top Bottom