• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You been saying this since day 1 and he's never kicked on, it's like the days when Oxlade Chamberlain played here and everyone was sure this was gonna be the season he kicked on just to spend the rest of his career on Liverpool's bench. I'm on the Pepe bandwagon this season anyway I chose my side in the Pepe vs Hale End war.

You must be tryna annoy me with 'advanced stats' though and I'm not gonna bite :lol:
Difference is Chamberlain played for a manager that squeezed out every ounce of attacking talent from his side and spent loads of games camped in and around the opposition box. Pepe is/was a proven goal scorer before he came here and just hasn’t been given goal scoring opportunities. His managers have been Emery 2nd season and Arteta. Not sure what you actually expect.

Pepe+Auba had less shots combined than Bruno Fernandes last season which says it all. If we have a good attacking season and Pepe doesn’t I’ll post a video of me eating my hat.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Well next time don't but into my conversations if you're just gonna get into your feelings and act like a kid :lol:
Oh piss off man :lol:

I literally couldn't be bothered for you today that's why I left it, I am low energy.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Difference is Chamberlain played for a manager that squeezed out every ounce of attacking talent from his side and spent loads of games camped in and around the opposition box. Pepe is/was a proven goal scorer before he came here and just hasn’t been given goal scoring opportunities. His managers have been Emery 2nd season and Arteta. Not sure what you actually expect.

Pepe+Auba had less shots combined than Bruno Fernandes last season which says it all. If we have a good attacking season and Pepe doesn’t I’ll post a video of me eating my hat.
I do agree but still Pepe himself is just not that good, I can see where his talents lie but he's just too erratic. I can't imagine him being as good as someone like Salah or Mane for example, he doesn't have that direct killer instinct.

BigPoppaPump

Oh piss off man :lol:

I literally couldn't be bothered for you today that's why I left it, I am low energy.
Come on man, you started it with me and then backed out. If you couldn't be bothered you would've stayed out of it tbh. I wasn't even dissing Pepe just telling @Barry why he gets so much stick.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I do agree but still Pepe himself is just not that good, I can see where his talents lie but he's just too erratic. I can't imagine him being as good as someone like Salah or Mane for example, he doesn't have that direct killer instinct.
Salah has similar weaknesses to Pepe tbh with the inconsistent first touch and not necessarily looking good on the eye but nobody cares because he’s banging them in, he’s got a worse conversation rate than Pepe btw so is it killer instinct or just playing in a better system?

People didn’t really rate Mane either. United and Arsenal fans didn’t really respond well to being linked with him and nobody batted an eyelid when Liverpool signed Salah.

Nobody saw Salah and Mane as world class until Klopp played to their strengths and transformed their careers. If Pepe had Theo’s role in our early emirates era teams people would be calling him one of the best players in the league.

BigPoppaPump

Salah has similar weaknesses to Pepe tbh with the inconsistent first touch and not necessarily looking good on the eye.

People didn’t really rate Mane either. United and Arsenal fans didn’t really respond well to being linked with him and nobody batted an eyelid when Liverpool signed Salah.

Nobody saw Salah and Mane as world class until Klopp played to their strengths and transformed their careers. If Pepe had Theo’s role in our early emirates era teams people would be calling him one of the best players in the league.
Oh my bad you're right Pepe is actually way better than them I didn't know what I was thinking.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Come on man, you started it with me and then backed out. If you couldn't be bothered you would've stayed out of it tbh. I wasn't even dissing Pepe just telling @Barry why he gets so much stick.
Well you dodged my point by saying that lazy "it's everyone's fault but Pepe's" stuff when that's not what I said at all, what I said even acknowledges that he's not really where he should be.

If Pepe was the second coming of Sanchez what does it really change? In my opinion not much there's just too much to do.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Oh my bad you're right Pepe is actually way better than them I didn't know what I was thinking.
I think if you put Pepe in Salah’s place he performs well. Salah has better play in tight spaces and more of a nose for goal but Pepe is more clinical.

ultimately they’re similar players with similar finishing ability. One just has literally double the chances created for him and takes penalties.

BigPoppaPump

Well you dodged my point by saying that lazy "it's everyone's fault but Pepe's" stuff when that's not what I said at all, what I said even acknowledges that he's not really where he should be.

If Pepe was the second coming of Sanchez what does it really change? In my opinion not much there's just too much to do.

I think if you put Pepe in Salah’s place he performs well. Salah has better play in tight spaces and more of a nose for goal but Pepe is more clinical.

ultimately they’re similar players with similar finishing ability. One just has literally double the chances created for him and takes penalties.
I don’t disagree that our manager is what’s holding our attack back though, he even has Auba looking bad out there. But I think regardless of the Arteta tax he’s been an underwhelming player in his own right. Both things can be true at the same time.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I don’t disagree that our manager is what’s holding our attack back though, he even has Auba looking bad out there. But I think regardless of the Arteta tax he’s been an underwhelming player in his own right. Both things can be true at the same time.
Fair enough, well there’s no way to really prove that until the next manager. The stats all strongly suggest that if we create like a top four team he’ll actually outscore guys like Mahrez, Mane and co. At the end of the day a forward should be judged on their numbers not how funny they look when they dribble.

Relative to his teammates he’s doing well, was our second most productive player last season despite being benched for half of it and that was probably the aim when we signed him. I think he’s reached his ceiling in this current attack as a wide forward, he’s already more clinical than some of the biggest names in the league so I’m not sure what else he can do as a goal scorer.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Relative to his teammates he’s doing well, was our second most productive player last season despite being benched for half of it and that was probably the aim when we signed him. I think he’s reached his ceiling in this current attack as a wide forward, he’s already more clinical than some of the biggest names in the league so I’m not sure what else he can do as a goal scorer.

He's actually no joke.

BigPoppaPump

Fair enough, well there’s no way to really prove that until the next manager. The stats all strongly suggest that if we create like a top four team he’ll actually outscore guys like Mahrez, Mane and co. At the end of the day a forward should be judged on their numbers not how funny they look when they dribble.

Yeah but I don’t put that kind of credence into stats think you can manipulate those numbers. You can’t rate someone on what they might do lol, I mean there’s a reason he gets benched.

When I watch him vs Europa teams he was so much better than in the PL, he won’t have EL this season so he needs to step his PL numbers up and the question is can he?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Yeah but I don’t put that kind of credence into stats think you can manipulate those numbers. You can’t rate someone on what they might do lol, I mean there’s a reason he gets benched.

When I watch him vs Europa teams he was so much better than in the PL, he won’t have EL this season so he needs to step his PL numbers up and the question is can he?
I think we are going in circles at this point, because I’m using the stats to show that he’s doing well with what he’s got but I’m guessing you want him to do even better than that. That’s practically impossible unless he hits a league best conversation rate.

He’s 6th in the league for shot creating actions, top 10 for open play xG and top 10 for chances created despite our **** start to the season. People have no issues when names like Salah, Grealish, TAA and KDB show up in these lists but when it’s Pepe it’s “stats are skewed”.

As for the eye-test stuff I’m not too bothered on that as what we need are actions that lead to goals, we need points. Salah overruns the ball and has dodgy touches all the time but nobody cares. Anyway he’ll have a good season if we have a good season. I’m sure of that.

BigPoppaPump

I think we are going in circles at this point, because I’m using the stats to show that he’s doing well with what he’s got but I’m guessing you want him to do even better than that. That’s practically impossible unless he hits a league best conversation rate.

He’s 6th in the league for shot creating actions, top 10 for open play xG and top 10 for chances created despite our **** start to the season. People have no issues when names like Salah, Grealish, TAA and KDB show up in these lists but when it’s Pepe it’s “stats are skewed”.

As for the eye-test stuff I’m not too bothered on that as what we need are actions that lead to goals, we need points. Salah overruns the ball and has dodgy touches all the time but nobody cares. Anyway he’ll have a good season if we have a good season. I’m sure of that.
I actually think he’s doing well and I’m warming up to him I just think his Arsenal career in general has been underwhelming.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
That you can't believe the stick Pepe gets, it's pretty obvious because we paid loads for him that he wasn't ever worth and doesn't look like he'll ever kick on.
Oh ok, yeah makes sense. Not being intentionally disingenuous, but I was using that as a turn of phrase - I can definitely believe it's happening. People on here are turning on Tierney so nothing is that surprising.

I suppose what I meant was that the criticism goes too far imo - he might not be a £70m player for us, but he is starting to be a useful player, the only wide player we have we a decent goal threat. I can understand why he gets criticism though.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Oh ok, yeah makes sense. Not being intentionally disingenuous, but I was using that as a turn of phrase - I can definitely believe it's happening. People on here are turning on Tierney so nothing is that surprising.

I suppose what I meant was that the criticism goes too far imo - he might not be a £70m player for us, but he is starting to be a useful player, the only wide player we have we a decent goal threat. I can understand why he gets criticism though.
Are people turning on KT or just tired of our over-reliance on him?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Are people turning on KT or just tired of our over-reliance on him?
It's like everything on here, everyone has a different take. I think the majority of criticism is bourne out of frustration with the way we play - and a couple of bad performances. That general change of sentiment has led for others to call for him to be dropped or question his quality or whatever. It's fair enough, everyone has a different view but Tierney is class in my opinion.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Love pepe but he has to work with his first touches he keep losing it very easily

Top Bottom