• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Given his talent it's a huge shame he will fail here. He is not a traditional plug in and play winger, he needs a manager who will build the team around him to best leverage his explosive physical qualities and finishing ability. Arteta has no appreciation for his strengths, manager and player are just not made for each other.

Last edited:

Jakarta

This guy is a write off...huge disappointment but we should move on from him in the summer.

Big fees for non-epl proven players carries this risk...just look at Sp**s with Ndombele & Lo Celso...heck even Sancho hasn’t set the world alight after his big money move.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Come on lad. That seems a bit much😀
lol of all the things said in here after his 8 minute sub, the thought of the team being built around him annoys you the most.

I agree though, not necessary and to be absolutely fair to Mikel he's done a lot more with Pepe than Emery ever did.

samspade

Come on lad. That seems a bit much😀
Players who break the mould i.e. have unusual strengths and deficiencies for their position need teams to be built to accommodate them. Pepe isn’t good at a lot of traditional winger stuff but he’s good at other stuff including banging goals, banging goals is the best reason to build a team around a player.

To use another example Cesc was deficient at a number of traditional midfield things but he had explosive attacking traits which were accentuated by the set up around him and his weaknesses covered for. It was worth it simply because of what he gave us in attack.

So I say he needs a team built around him because he has unusual weaknesses and strengths that need to be wrestled with to make use of.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This guy is a write off...huge disappointment but we should move on from him in the summer.

Big fees for non-epl proven players carries this risk...just look at Sp**s with Ndombele & Lo Celso...heck even Sancho hasn’t set the world alight after his big money move.

Agreed, there are so many examples of this now. I think fans/the media, rightfully I may add, expect players coming in on huge fee's to hit the ground running and really become key parts of teams. With guys coming from other leagues, there is without a doubt a far greater adaptation period, and as a result its harder for them to gain any momentum, guys like Pepe and Ndombele are great examples of this.

People raised eyebrows about White for example, but other than Brentford, he's come in and slotted into our defence straight away. We are due new first 11 CF/Wide player in the next few windows, and I'd be looking at the PL (would love to see us get Sterling for example).

Macho

Dusted 🔻

People raised eyebrows about White for example, but other than Brentford, he's come in and slotted into our defence straight away. We are due new first 11 CF/Wide player in the next few windows, and I'd be looking at the PL (would love to see us get Sterling for example).
You guys would never have the patience for Sterling, absolutely makes no sense to be fuming every time Pepe touches pitch but want someone with technique as inconsistent as Sterling here I've never understood this.

He's not one of the academy kids who would come for zero fees and low salary where you guys will ignore bad performances, he'd get ripped to shreds.

Our forward signings should be in a similar profile to Tammy who's early twenties, has a lot of room to develop and etc. Or just promote more guys from the academy.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You guys would never have the patience for Sterling, absolutely makes no sense to be fuming every time Pepe touches pitch but want someone with technique as inconsistent as Sterling here I've never understood this.

He's not one of the academy kids who would come for zero fees and low salary where you guys will ignore bad performances, he'd get ripped to shreds.

Our forward signings should be in a similar profile to Tammy who's early twenties, has a lot of room to develop and etc. Or just promote more guys from the academy.

You guys lmao, why do you take everything as a personal dig, i haven't even been that critical of Pepe this season 🤣

Pepe and Sterling are not comparable as footballers, its a massive injustice to Sterling to even make comparison. Just for starters the guy knows the league and had massive experience at the highest level, he's a proven top player, not a guy coming off one good season in France. Sterling is also only 26, still had at least 5 years at the top level.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You guys lmao, why do you take everything as a personal dig, i haven't even been that critical of Pepe this season 🤣

Pepe and Sterling are not comparable as footballers, its a massive injustice to Sterling to even make comparison. Just for starters the guy knows the league and had massive experience at the highest level, he's a proven top player, not a guy coming off one good season in France. Sterling is also only 26, still had at least 5 years at the top level.
When I come with a solid point and proof to back it up you guys always run to the "why take it personal stuff". Trust me, if Sterling was to come it would most likely be me explaining why he's not working and be called chocolate lover on here - not you.

Pepe needs to go - just don't bring in another Pepe that's all I am saying. Either sign another playmaker who can play outwide, or promote one of the kids.

Sterling is a bit too old for the type of players we've been signing anyways at 26.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When I come with a solid point and proof to back it up you guys always run to the "why take it personal stuff". Trust me, if Sterling was to come it would most likely be me explaining to you guys why he's not working - not you.

Pepe needs to go - just don't bring in another Pepe that's all I am saying. Either sign another playmaker who can play outwide, or promote one of the kids. Sterling is a bit too old for the type of players we've been signing anyways at 26.

What proof do you have to back it up? You've said he has inconsistent technique and linked a YouTube video. You gloss over the fact he's a seasoned top class player that's produced at the highest level for years now. Sterling would be more of an Auba/Sanchez/Özil type signing (ie a proven, seasoned player), as opposed to Pepe, a guy coming off one good season for Lille in France.

I'm over the Pepe thing anyway, we all know we paid too much, we all know he probably won't make it here, which is why I don't comment on him much anymore. And I agree with you, people do go in on him a big too much, it's beating a dead horse.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

What proof do you have to back it up? You've said he has inconsistent technique and linked a YouTube video. You gloss over the fact he's a seasoned top class player that's produced at the highest level for years now. Sterling would be more of an Auba/Sanchez/Özil type signing (ie a proven, seasoned player), as opposed to Pepe, a guy coming off one good season for Lille in France.
Doesn't matter if Sterling is seasoned, they literally do the same thing which is come off the flank and score - or support the main striker which Pepe did in France and Sterling does more of with age.

Sterling has been dropped for a reason and when he was starting, his scuffed shots and open goal misses aren't a big deal at City. Over here they really would be. Even the biggest Sterling fan can admit when he's one on one with the keeper or taking a penalty you never know what's going to happen.

It's not even about Pepe anymore even I have accepted Mikel is done with him, it's more I'd rather a wide player maker come in, or an academy prospect get promoted and Sterling is neither.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Doesn't matter if Sterling is seasoned, they literally do the same thing which is come off the flank and score - or support the main striker which Pepe did in France and Sterling does more of with age.

Sterling has been dropped for a reason and when he was starting, his scuffed shots and open goal misses aren't a big deal at City. Over here they really would be. Even the biggest Sterling fan can admit when he's one on one with the keeper or taking a penalty you never know what's going to happen.

It's not even about Pepe anymore even I have accepted Mikel is done with him, it's more I'd rather a wide player maker come in, or an academy prospect get promoted and Sterling is neither.

Pepe has "come off the flank and scored" consistently one season in his career, and it was in the French league, again I think it's a bit disrespectful to make the comparison between the two in that regard. And Sterling has far more to his game than just scoring, he's great 1v1 and is a really intelligent player, you may not rate him in those aspects, fair enough, but for me he'd bring that to the team as well as goals.

It's all hypotheticals anyway, and don't really want to be drawn into Pepe bashing posts, as I do think they're a bit over the top at this point, the guy isn't even a starter.

Re last point, fair enough if that's your opinion, I respect it.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Re last point, fair enough if that's your opinion, I respect it.
Fair enough agree to disagree regarding Sterling.

But yes my main point before someone gets at me, just get a wide playmaker or have one of the kids get promoted, it suits us more.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
lol of all the things said in here after his 8 minute sub, the thought of the team being built around him annoys you the most.
Wasn’t aware that I was showing such ‘annoyance’ by that nothing post tbh… What do you want me to do, go over every crap post writing him off even though he’s not playing, and reply to those instead? I’ve not got time for that.

I will quote the funny stuff and have a little giggle now and again though, if that’s cool with you, sir?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Players who break the mould i.e. have unusual strengths and deficiencies for their position need teams to be built to accommodate them.
No they don’t. That is madness. What about the rest of the team that has strong points and weak points, do you build a team around all of those as well? That’s a lot of building. I think that would require around 179 players 😭

samspade

No they don’t. That is madness. What about the rest of the team that has strong points and weak points, do you build a team around all of those as well? That’s a lot of building. I think that would require around 179 players 😭
You’ve successfully pointed out that players have strengths and weaknesses, bravo, it’s about how pronounced the strengths and weaknesses are. Positions on a pitch come with their generic responsibilities and at high level most players are well behaved and roughly fulfil these responsibilities. However, some players are unusually deficient in some of these responsibilities and strong in areas not traditionally associated with the position.
A decision needs to be made on whether the things the player offers are worth it and if so the player needs to be accommodated and their glaring weaknesses covered.

This is just a long way of saying that some players need teams built around them (which is obvious). Pretty simple stuff but you seem more interested in being a clown.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You’ve successfully pointed out that players have strengths and weaknesses, bravo, it’s about how pronounced the strengths and weaknesses are. Positions on a pitch come with their generic responsibilities and at high level most players are well behaved and roughly fulfil these responsibilities. However, some players are unusually deficient in some of these responsibilities and strong in areas not traditionally associated with the position.
A decision needs to be made on whether the things the player offers are worth it and if so the player needs to be accommodated and their glaring weaknesses covered.

This is just a long way of saying that some players need teams built around them (which is obvious). Pretty simple stuff but you seem more interested in being a clown.
Listen man, carry on being an advocate of a ****ing Samaritans XI. ‘Build the team around Pepe’. And I’m in the one being the clown? **** me 💀

Top Bottom