• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Watts predict loan plus obligation the only solution for pepe. It's still pretty early there still like 9 weeks for transfer window to close.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How much do you guys think we could even get for him at this point?
Depends on who comes in for him. It could be nobody offers more than 15m and Arsenal prefer a loan with with 2-4m loan fees plus obligation or option to buy so we can get his value upto an acceptable level.

I think the fees being quoted is arsenal wanting 25-30m which clubs are unlikely to pay

We are buying his replacement, if we cant find a buyer from him then we will loan him out at the end of the window.

Token Yank

Think PSG is the only hope. Campos is there and they need to replace Di Maria. They have taken fliers on guys like this in the past.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Don't know where you've been, but Pepe was bad for long stretches of every season for us. Difference is at the very end of his first season he took a step forward and at the very end of 20-21 he was brilliant for about 5-6 weeks, whereas this season he didn't see much game time in the spring - but don't let the brief purple patches of brilliance make you forget how utterly awful he was in earlier parts of both those seasons. Coming up to Xmas 2020 he was so bad that it was starting to get into 'can you pick him?' territory.

Also crucial difference with Saka/Ødegaard is that even when off form, both tend to be reasonably secure in possession, capable to playing to tactical instructions and will try to do their jobs defensively. When Pepe is having a bad time of it, he is a possession black hole who wanders around aimlessly and doesn't track back. Which is the whole problem, because his best is fantastic. If he could have raised the floor of his performance levels, he would have seen a lot more game time, because we've all seen how good his ceiling is. But sometimes he looks like a super talented player who's been discovered in the jungle and has not played professionally before - so much skill, but decision making is a roulette wheel
This is a great summary of Pepe. He is and always will be a limited footballer. We got shafted and realised this early enough to flush him out the team rather than waste years on him trying to justify the price tag ala Maguire.

I’m not sure what wages he’s on but for the lack of consistency he provides (and generally just not being a very good player), I have no doubt it’ll be too high for most teams to consider and for this reason see it being highly unlikely we sell him for anything unless he takes a hit on his wages.

Think we will do everything we can to get him loaned out this season with us possibly subsidising his wages, this seems the most likely outcome for the next few seasons until he leaves on a free.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Will always be a case of what if with Pepe for me. I think there's bags of potential in him and more importantly a lot of end product that for various different reasons we never utilised properly unfortunately.

He was another very exciting signing who perhaps shows one of the weaknesses of the DoF model in that he's never had a coach here who was all that keen on him. A severe lack of communication within the club on that front.

For the benefit of Pepe and Arsenal he needs to go anywhere where he can start enjoying himself again. Even if we give him away it's better than having an unwanted player sitting around and he needs to be playing at his age, you only get one go at a career after all.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Think PSG is the only hope. Campos is there and they need to replace Di Maria. They have taken fliers on guys like this in the past.
I think he would feel better when he is the main man rather than playing with crybabies like Messi and Neymar. His decision making would frustrate them, but in a smaller team his teammates wouldn't mind, something we see with Zaha at Palace and that would give him the confidence to play the way he wants, which makes him valuable

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
I think he would feel better when he is the main man rather than playing with crybabies like Messi and Neymar. His decision making would frustrate them, but in a smaller team his teammates wouldn't mind, something we see with Zaha at Palace and that would give him the confidence to play the way he wants, which makes him valuable
Agree. There are mid table teams he would suit particularly given his level of output. If we are willing to sell for 25-30 million, I find it hard to understand why there is no interest.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Agree. There are mid table teams he would suit particularly given his level of output. If we are willing to sell for 25-30 million, I find it hard to understand why there is no interest.

He started something like 5 games over the last year. I don't think there's a club out there who'd hand over 25-30m for someone who doesn't play. The max you could realistically look to get from him would be 10-15m at a push but I think it will be a loan with option when he does go.

MartiSaka

He started something like 5 games over the last year. I don't think there's a club out there who'd hand over 25-30m for someone who doesn't play. The max you could realistically look to get from him would be 10-15m at a push but I think it will be a loan with option when he does go.
For someone like Newcastle, they should take the chance. Isnt pool meant to be getting 22 mill for minamino who doesn’t play nor have the output of Pepe nor the potential to go supersonic like Pepe did at one point.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

For someone like Newcastle, they should take the chance.

Why though? We can't expect them to take our unwanted players just because they have money now. I think they'll be a lot more sensible than that as everyone will be trying to get more money out of them now.

Look at the players they've signed since the takeover, they've all been guys who've been playing regularly for their clubs, Guimaraes, Pope, Botman etc. They or anyone would be really foolish to fork out a decent fee on someone who doesn't play.

With a loan there's a lot less risk involved for the buying club and it doesn't look like we're all that bothered about taking a hit on guys we're not going to use.

MartiSaka

Why though? We can't expect them to take our unwanted players just because they have money now. I think they'll be a lot more sensible than that as everyone will be trying to get more money out of them now.

Look at the players they've signed since the takeover, they've all been guys who've been playing regularly for their clubs, Guimaraes, Pope, Botman etc. They or anyone would be really foolish to fork out a decent fee on someone who doesn't play.

With a loan there's a lot less risk involved for the buying club and it doesn't look like we're all that bothered about taking a hit on guys we're not going to use.
Pool always selling guy like minamino who dont play for over 20 million without the output nor level of talent. I just don’t understand because he didn’t play much at Arsenal under Arteta he is worthless now.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Pool always selling guy like minamino who dont play for over 20 million without the output nor level of talent. I just don’t understand because he didn’t play much at Arsenal under Arteta he is worthless now.

The difference is Minamino is probably on like 40k pw and Pepe is on 140k pw. Think this is the main reason we can't get fees for our unwanted players, and why Liverpool can.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah well we're not Liverpool, they've a history of doing this over the last however many years, a total outlier not just for us but everyone else. Someone like Minamino will be on a lot less money than Pepe as well.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

A mental slip not recognising the possible association. Please see my comment above this one, and accept my apologies for unintended offence caused.
As per my message above, not only am I half black, but my mother works in race equality and against hate crime, and I have done similar work myself, so am mortified at the possible implications of my careless analogy

Not directing this at you but I cringe whenever I hear comments like “I’m quarter black”, “but I have black friends”, “my nephew is black” so I can’t be racist 🤣🤣🤣 absolute cop out comments when the pressure has been applied.

Anyways, hopefully Pepe finds a decent club that he can play regularly. I honestly can’t see a deal happening until the final days of the window when teams start to panic.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom