• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It’s supported by the fact that we absorbed his loss relatively easily.

League position did not change drastically and others have mentioned we performed better when he wasn’t having monster seasons.
I'm not sold on reasoning like that. I could counter it with us winning 2 FA cups while he was here, and then bombing out as soon as he left, but football's a funny game and losing your best player doesn't always mean you become a worse team. In some circumstances, it could be the case but, as I say, there are too many factors at play in a team sport. It may have been the case here FWIW.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Ngl mate think that’s a scandalous comparison in terms of RVP and Cesc.

The 07/08 and 09/10 teams were absolutely stacked.

That 2011/12 team is arguably the worst Arsenal time I’ve ever seen as a supporter. Without RVP there was no way we’d have been in the picture for CL. Dragged us over the line on his back.

We finished ahead of a Sp**s side that had Bale, Modric and Van der Vaart.
My idea (to quote Emery) is not to downplay RVP or Alexis, just that having a transcendent individual like them doesn't necessarily translate to team success the way that it does for players who make others around them better.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

My idea (to quote Emery) is not to downplay RVP or Alexis, just that having a transcendent individual like them doesn't necessarily translate to team success the way that it does for players who make others around them better.

Yes but I think Cesc played in Arsenal teams that were levels above the 2011/12 one. We lost three key players from the year before and their direct replacements were Arteta, Andre Santos, Benayoun and Gervinho.

Also I’d say RVP showed his transcendence did translate to team success the next year when he carried a garbage Utd team to an easy title win.

I think Alexis was a top level ball hog and did inhibit the team’s performance but RVP was different banter, for me had a two and a half year run as best striker in the world.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'm not sold on reasoning like that. I could counter it with us winning 2 FA cups while he was here, and then bombing out as soon as he left, but football's a funny game and losing your best player doesn't always mean you become a worse team. In some circumstances, it could be the case but, as I say, there are too many factors at play in a team sport. It may have been the case here FWIW.
Fair enough, fwiw people at Arsenal chose to call him that so that’s an indication of what they felt.

Watching us in his last season our game plan seemed to be give him the ball and let him do whatever he wants, not a slight on him but that is what happened.

Firetruck

Is anyone a little worried about Pepe's shooting? Having watched the goals he scored for Lille and seen the few shots he has taken so far they look a little one dimensional. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Is anyone a little worried about Pepe's shooting? Having watched the goals he scored for Lille and seen the few shots he has taken so far they look a little one dimensional. Please tell me I'm wrong.
He likes the sidefoot curler. Haven't seen him hit too many with his laces. He doesn't need to shoot from distance a lot because he's so good at approaching the box by carrying the ball. Needs to use his weaker foot more.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

"Transcendent" individuals like them do way more for a teams success then play-makers do. Someone like Özil relies on him team mates to perform rather than doing it himself when needed, remember those Liverpool and Everton games we won because of last minute RVP goals? Compare that to the stretch of games where Giroud never got a goal with Özil behind him.

Look at Liverpool, I'd much rather have a Mane or Salah who can create their own chances than a Özil who's pretty one dimensional.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It worries me too if I am honest. He scored a lot of goals in France from just inside the area that were not emphatic at all. Most of them went through the keeper. You are not scoring like that in England. You need power and he lacks it. However that curler he had just around the post had a bit more on it but we need to get him in the gym and build him up.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think you’re wrong.

He was on corners, free-kicks and penalties at Lille and has already taken over corner duties in his short time here, that indicates that his ball-striking technique is top level. Finishing may be more of a concern but the two usually go hand in hand so I wouldn’t be worried.

Last edited:

baccy_man

Established Member
I have a feeling that we will see the best from Pepe, in a few months time once he has got used to the pace in the premier league and also got used to the way his team mates play,
Once Bellerin, comes back and as long as he has not lost any of his pace then they are going to be tearing the right wing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom