• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Not sure what all the debate is about. Clearly low on confidence, playing in a very disjointed attack in a toxic club environment. He looks like an introverted character, making adjusting to a new country and team even more difficult. He'll come good in time.

Granted, he has missed some absolute sitters, but he's been one of our better performers whenenever he's played and you can clearly see his quality on the ball. Man put VVD and Robertson on the floor on his first league start.

Put VVD and Robertson on the floor on his first league start.... that we lost 1-3 in. How many goals have we scored because of his "quality on the ball"? Right now I see Pepe as nothing but an overpriced but less effective version of Iwobi, still not sure what the point of us buying him was.

tcahill

Put VVD and Robertson on the floor on his first league start.... that we lost 1-3 in. How many goals have we scored because of his "quality on the ball"? Right now I see Pepe as nothing but an overpriced but less effective version of Iwobi, still not sure what the point of us buying him was.

My argument is that you can clearly see his potential, even if he isn't yet fulfilling it. If you think that he's not going to be any better than Iwobi, then our valuations of the player are really too far apart for it to be worth debating over.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

This doesn't make any sense at all. We are dropping points every game. If we were winning and we didn't want to change things I'd understand him not playing but he might as well be now...

We will never go big on a signing again.

Also, are the media even noticing he is not playing??

scytheavatar

Established Member
My argument is that you can clearly see his potential, even if he isn't yet fulfilling it. If you think that he's not going to be any better than Iwobi, then our valuations of the player are really too far apart for it to be worth debating over.

My argument is that you can clearly see Pepe's shortcomings, which is why he has not been able to fulfill his potential. Let's stop pretending Pepe is some Sanchez and has been our best player, because he clearly hasn't been. Ljungberg has to get us some wins to turn the situation around, and Pepe hasn't been playing at the level that makes him irreplaceable and a guaranteed starter. The only 2 player we have that deserves to be undroppable are Auba and Leno.

GoonerBoy19

Have a feeling that Özil and Pepe in same team sheet is not possible, unless we try 4-2-1-2-1 with Auba up front. I wont write him off but squeezing him into the squad of limited players we have is troublesome and Freddie want to at least win a game before he starts tinkering.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Is a very good footballer, clearly going through confidence issues after a tough start...a little worrying as Gervinho was also very good but was let down by a lack of mental strength in the end, still seen a lot of good moments from Pepe though.

Really hoping he starts on Thursday, at home to Brighton and scores...needs a little boost, would ideally want an Pepe-Auba-Martinelli frontline.

Or maybe even 3 at the back, with Özil behind Pepe and Auba.

Last edited:

mpower2540

This situation baffles me. His end product has been shocking since he’s been here and he’s got that classic “woe is me” Arsenal body language when things are going against him.

However, he’s one of the few players we have who gives defenders something to think about. He can beat a player one on one, can carry the ball, has speed, I’m convinced he can be a goal threat once his confidence is up and we decide to freeze him out on the bench?? Who exactly is playing so well that Pepe can’t start?? No one seems to have a clue what they’re doing at this club

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Reading this page makes me feel like I’ve eavesdropped on a discussion between patients in a dementia home, apart from the intervention of a few nurses.

‘He hasn’t realised his potential’... I wasn’t aware he was 28 :lol:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Reading this page makes me feel like I’ve eavesdropped on a discussion between patients in a dementia home, apart from the intervention of a few nurses.

‘He hasn’t realised his potential’... I wasn’t aware he was 28 :lol:
When you buy someone for 72mill you expect them to be a little bit better than someone not even good enough to convince the coach he's a starter. Literally bringing on youngsters instead of him... He may not be 28 but he isn't 18 either. We need something to show us why we paid this hefty sum for this guy.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
When you buy someone for 72mill you expect them to be a little bit better than someone not even good enough to convince the coach he's a starter. Literally bringing on youngsters instead of him... He may not be 28 but he isn't 18 either. We need something to show us why we paid this hefty sum for this guy.
We’ve seen it, albeit in flashes, under a manager who was struggling massively. Not every player’s path to cementing their place in the first eleven, is the same. Reasoning being, is we’re not all made the same and are individuals as humans.

Funny how last week the blame would be on Emery for not using him. Now Freedie is at the wheel, “pEPe mUsT bE rUbBIsh Aaaaaagghhh”

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We’ve seen it, albeit in flashes, under a manager who was struggling massively. Not every player’s path to cementing their place in the first eleven, is the same. Reasoning being, is we’re not all made the same and are individuals as humans.

Funny how last week the blame would be on Emery for not using him. Now Freedie is at the wheel, “pEPe mUsT bE rUbBIsh Aaaaaagghhh”
I never said he was rubbish.. Let's not put words in each others' mouths...
He's surely not impressing much to be included though..

Not every player’s path to cementing their place in the first eleven, is the same. ”
Nobody said it had to be but at this stage you must certainly be getting worried after the sum we blew in the window to get him.. This isn't Sanchez where the time can be afforded, when you blow more than 50mil fans expect some impact.. POretty sure the club did too. Pressure is mounting on this guy. Currently looking like a flop.. I am willing to give him the rest of the season but it is concerning he didn not even get a run out yesterday and a teenager did over him. That is a MASSIVE statement no matter how many "we're all human" comments you throw about.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The flashes were there early on thats the strange thing... he was beating men & getting shots off on most occasions when on the pitch. Even if looking raw the promise there to get excited about.

Then just fell behind the youngsters that dont really provide a huge amount at the mo. He is individually playing poor though, just watch him last international break online.

Make

Player:Ødegaard
I hope that Pepe plays the next game, he needs it. It's an absolutely crazy that the most expensive player that we have had is always on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom