Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 1, 2019.

1. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

Yeah been thinking the same thing

Faster than Laca
    Better ball control than Auba

bojed and SingmeasongSong like this.
  2. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

Pepe has a much much higher ceiling than any of those two guys imo, but it's hard to make a call right now as to whether he's going to fulfill it.

Still cannot believe he's been dropped twice after respective good spells where he's been the shining light alongside Martinelli

Riou likes this.
  3. lufere7

lufere7 Well-Known Member

Would be wary about trying him at CF if someone as talented as Bielsa couldn't make it work at Lille. From what I've read he exploded the moment he was moved to the wing.

We also need wingers way more than we need strikers right now, this isn't the striker drought era where we wanted to transform every half decent pacy winger into the next henry :lol:

4. Get These Hands

Get These Hands Off of my purse !

Think he's shown his pedigree in patches. The potential is there. It's just finding consistency. I'm certain this guy will come good.

5. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

I think he’s a mercurial talent. Some of his dribbling is simply superb. That shoulder drop and change of direction has bamboozled everyone.

I’d like to think I know a dud when I see one, Pepe certainly isn’t a dud. The biggest issue he’s had since he’s been here is the fact that he hasn’t received enough of the ball in the final third.

Often he’s having to try and manufacture openings from deep- which he has occasionally been successful in to his credit. But we need him to get the ball near the edge of the box, with maybe one or two defenders in his way. He can skin them and get a shot or cross in.

His goal against West Ham was a big hint as to what he could become here. Deadly, clinical, precise. He received the ball in a similar area for his assist to Auba too. Let’s get this guy higher up the pitch and at the opposition.

Trilly, krackpot, bojed and 12 others like this.
  6. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

spot on.
    it's why I would love to see him play on the right with Laca as CF. Laca can drop deeper and drag defenders, leaving space for Pepe to attack and make chaos.
    excatly what Firmino does for Salah

zilfy and Riou like this.
  7. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Wonder if Arteta will favour a Pepe-Laca-Martinelli attack at the start.

8. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Tier 1 Height

Tidy cameo again, wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench for Chelsea though, his knee has taken a battering. Poor geeza.

9. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

As much as I was happy to see Nelson start again, I was surprised Pepe didnt start, and his cameo only strengthened that surprise. He looked smooth on the ball and dangerous in the final 3rd. Must start the next game IMO.

SingmeasongSong likes this.
  10. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Getting sick of players trying to injury him with dirty tackling he'll get a serious injury if this keep happening

11. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Dishonest To His Federation

Clear as day that opposition players are instructed to tackle him or maybe they just dont like getting nutmeg by the midline.

Pepe should be careful where he dribbles. Dont just dribble to show off. Other players dont like that and refs in PL will allow them bad tackles.

Trilly, CaseUteinberger and Artisan like this.
  12. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

Surprised his knee still functions tbh

13. Gunner140

Gunner140 Active Member

Yeah, this was a dirty tackle from Lewis. He should have gotten a direct red card not a yellow.

Pepe needs to be protected by referees especially given that there is VAR in the league now.

14. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

Don't be silly. VAR is only there to intervene when we score a perfectly legit goal like Chambers did against Palace.

For everything else like say...Cresswell lunging at Pepe with feet off the ground, or a Watford player being inside our penalty area when Leno is taking a goal kick or a Brighton player trying to exchange shirts with Laca while defending a corner.....then VAR takes a back seat and lets the guy with the whistle make the decisions.

15. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Dishonest To His Federation

Who compared him to Salah? Nothing like with them. Never seen Pepe make runs like Salah does constantly when Liverpool win the ball back.

16. jvw

jvw Active Member

He usually looks decent to me when he plays, but he never gets a solid run in the team to build his confidence. Three successive managers have left him out (albeit Arteta's only been in charge for one game). I can only assume he's lazy in training.

17. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant

Hope Arteta starts pressuring the refs

These tackles have to stop

roz likes this.
  18. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Next bad tackle the entire team needs to surround the player that does it and also the ref. And the above poster is right, should also be spoken about in press conferences.

Mrs Bergkamp and roz like this.
  19. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Even if this tackle got put in on Pepe telling you, it would be a yellow at most.

20. Jasard

Jasard Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Be nice to see the team stick up for him some more to be honest. Many past players would have taken a card to give some **** to someone making a challenge like that. Auba is a poor captain

freeglennhelder2 and roz like this.