• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Nicolas Pepe (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Like I know people like Pepe, want him to succeed and don't think he should be judged by his price tag - I wonder how many apply that same principle to say Harry Maguire?
Bro….

Harry Maguire has practically started every United game since joining that lot (bar getting dropped on the weekend) and now he deserves some sympathy? Pepe is our record signing and couldn’t string together three starts in a row ffs.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Like I know people like Pepe, want him to succeed and don't think he should be judged by his price tag - I wonder how many apply that same principle to say Harry Maguire?
What’s one got to do with the other? Considering Maguire has been a constant in the first team, signed from within the same league.

Even then, I have seen people so as you with Maguire..

GDeep™

League is very weak
Bro….

Harry Maguire has practically started every United game since joining that lot (bar getting dropped on the weekend) and now he deserves some sympathy? Pepe is our record signing and couldn’t string together three starts in a row ffs.
Didn’t he have the best output or close to it, in his first season? 2nd season under Arteta he finished strongly only to get dropped by Willian for the first game of the next season. After that Pepe hasn’t really featured again.

Saying he can’t string 3 starts in a row doesn’t really tell the full picture.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Didn’t he have the best output or close to it, in his first season? 2nd season under Arteta he finished strongly only to get dropped by Willian for the first game of the next season. After that Pepe hasn’t really featured again.

Saying he can’t string 3 starts in a row doesn’t really tell the full picture.
I was being dramatic but clearly you agree Maguire and Pepe aren't apples to apples comparison.

I actually checked and he only made 3 consecutive starts in the league twelve times over 3 years. What is interesting is that he was almost always limited to ~60 minutes on the pitch after the second start and would get pulled and benched for stretches after. He never had a consistent run in the side and that's my point. Maguire, on the other hand...

Tell.

Maguire has relegated 90% of the teams he's played for & is backed endlessly by media, managers & fans, even after Greece, even after his form nose diving for 18 months.

Not even comparable

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Nobody said that, he's been judged to death, he's resoundly sh*t but he's leaving now so what do you want?

Well, other than a fee that you're not going to get.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Bro….

My point is their cost and their inability to live upto it and the discourse around them.

Maguires cost is thrown in his face Pepe on the other hand has excuses at the ready: the manager doesn't like him (even though he had 3 managers who struggled to get the best out of him), the manager is racist, the manager doesn't trust him and the price tag isn't his fault.

Maguire is just an easy example because like Pepe his price stands out like a sore thumb and if people feel the need to have a pop and laugh at Maguire then at least be consistent about it. Pepe hasn't been good enough and most of that is down to Pepe. Its him on the pitch not delivering.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Dreadful deal for Arsenal once again. How have we not managed to shift a winger who's putting up the same goal contributions as Marc Overmars? It's ridiculous. He's going to bang in Ligue 1 so we'll probably get something for him next year at least.

Clears the way for a new winger - Neto, Pino, Zaha or Mudryk incoming.
1661372607016.jpeg

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Maguires cost is thrown in his face Pepe on the other hand has excuses at the ready: the manager doesn't like him (even though he had 3 managers who struggled to get the best out of him), the manager is racist, the manager doesn't trust him and the price tag isn't his fault.

You're actually being really foolish btw.

Arteta is many things but who's said he is racist? Some of the members on here you could maybe accuse them of that, Arteta it's just business and if you can't do what he wants he will rather run his favourites into the ground. You can get arrested and he will play you if you're good enough the guy don't give a sh*t.

What on earth do you want? an admission from the whole forum he's sh*t? what's your problem?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Never said he was better, that would be ridiculous. Overmars is one of my favourite Arsenal players of all time. I said he has the same goal contributions (per minute) which according to that Twitter post is the case. Teams pay for goals and it's not good that we are loaning (and wage covering) a productive player. But it happens, and if the club bring in a top name like Neto I won't be complaining tbf

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

My point is their cost and their inability to live upto it and the discourse around them.

Maguire is just an easy example because like Pepe his price stands out like a sore thumb and if people feel the need to have a pop and laugh at Maguire then at least be consistent about it. Pepe hasn't been good enough and most of that is down to Pepe. Its him on the pitch not delivering.
Pepe doesn't have his cost thrown into his face? He's slandered on practically every page related to him on this forum comparing him to Gervinho and whatever other sh*t when he doesn't even play. The fact he occupies so many rent free on here is banter because Raul dropped his pants and put his chorizo on the table. I honestly couldn't careless about the discourse, he's finished here but no one can say he's been given the opportunities to 'live up to' when he never gets consistent game time in the side.

And Maguire continues to expose why he will never live up to it with consistent game time where as Pepe hasn't even had a single minute this season. You have to be taking the piss here.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Never said he was better, that would be ridiculous. Overmars is one of my favourite Arsenal players of all time. I said he has the same goal contributions (per minute) which according to that Twitter post is the case. Teams pay for goals and it's not good that we are loaning (and wage covering) a productive player. But it happens, and if the club bring on a top name like Neto I won't be complaining tbf

It was pretty clear what you said tbh :lol:

The numbers simply suggested he was a productive but very strange player that was all.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Never said he was better, that would be ridiculous. Overmars is one of my favourite Arsenal players of all time. I said he has the same goal contributions (per minute) which according to that Twitter post is the case. Teams pay for goals and it's not good that we are loaning (and wage covering) a productive player. But it happens, and if the club bring on a top name like Neto I won't be complaining tbf
Good... wasnt sure if you were a teenager or sth. Overmars played in a very different era, I reckon if he played now he'd get 15 a season. Shame what's become of him. On Pepe - i'm actually glad we loaned him out. If we sold it would have been a very low price. Now at least there's some upside.

Barry

It was pretty clear what you said tbh :lol:

The numbers simply suggested he was a productive but very strange player that was all.
I quite like Pepe as a player tbh. Think you and me basically have the same view on him. Never quite trusted, never got enough minutes to show consistent form and probably not a good fit for the style we are trying to play. He'll be useful in any team though, including ours. Do find it strange that there's been so little interest.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I quite like Pepe as a player tbh. Think you and me basically have the same view on him. Never quite trusted, never got enough minutes to show consistent form and probably not a good fit for the style we are trying to play. He'll be useful in any team though, including ours. Do find it strange that there's been so little interest.

Salary init. Leicester wanted him on loan which would have been better for Arsenal, but he preferred France. According to reports ofcourse.

On his current salary he'd be one of the top earners in the entirely of Ligue 1 for example, only a handful of teams there can take him and they already have wingers.

Barry

Good... wasnt sure if you were a teenager or sth. Overmars played in a very different era, I reckon if he played now he'd get 15 a season. Shame what's become of him. On Pepe - i'm actually glad we loaned him out. If we sold it would have been a very low price. Now at least there's some upside.
Overmars was absolutely electric, such a game changer. Loved that midfield - Overmars, Vieira, Petit, Parlour (With two of Bergkamp/Kanu/Anelka/Wright ahead of them). Tasty.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

I dunno. My issue with him wasnt consistency. Just felt like he would consistently (like 8/10 times) make the wrong decision. Not sure it was a coachable problem. This cruyff quote could almost be singling out poor Pepe

There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing.

Barry

I dunno. My issue with him wasnt consistency. Just felt like he would consistently (like 8/10 times) make the wrong decision. Not sure it was a coachable problem. This cruyff quote could almost be singling out poor Pepe
Yeah I don't disagree with this. The comparison with Saka is quite stark, Saka's game intelligence and decision making is on another level to Pepe. Always thought the workrate criticism was a bit harsh though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom