• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Nicolas Pepe (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
The illuminati sacrificed him.

FaYk9BwXEAIeJdM
Ha, nice! The best highlight video around when we were first linked to him had the music - Ghosts ft. Lox Chatterbox, with the lyric
"Everywhere I go I'm followed like illuminati
Yeah they want me, they want me to turn into a zombie
They Tryna keep me quiet, I say "**** illuminati" "

def some room for a conspiracy theory in there...

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Arsenal open to let pepe go on loan and will likely pay some of his salary at Nice.
Seeing Edu in action on All or Nothing hasn't increased my confidence in him at all. That scene where they are talking about Auba and he says "The only two options are a loan or a contract termination" is just pure cringe. Although I do have some sympathy for him clearing up after Arteta's ego basically tanks Auba's value.

Anyway, Edu remains a bit of an enigma. You sort of feel that his player radar is pretty good and his south American links and general likeability are probably an asset in closing deals... He just seems utterly useless at sales. Isn't that what Garlick is supposed to help with though? He looks pretty clueless as well unfortunately.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Seeing Edu in action on All or Nothing hasn't increased my confidence in him at all. That scene where they are talking about Auba and he says "The only two options are a loan or a contract termination" is just pure cringe. Although I do have some sympathy for him clearing up after Arteta's ego basically tanks Auba's value.

Anyway, Edu remains a bit of an enigma. You sort of feel that his player radar is pretty good and his south American links and general likeability are probably an asset in closing deals... He just seems utterly useless at sales. Isn't that what Garlick is supposed to help with though? He looks pretty clueless as well unfortunately.
I won't Blame edu these players are from ex regime. Pepe is a lost situation because of huge wages we won't be able to sell him even for 20m. Only hope is he have good loan then we can get good money from him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Good luck to him if he goes to Nice. It will be interesting to see how he links up with Ramsey and see what might have been. Hope this is done quickly. Bon chance Pepe.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Isn't that what Garlick is supposed to help with though? He looks pretty clueless as well unfortunately.

Garlick is literally just contracts and legal stuff that's it. He's been around the prem so I am sure he adds in his two pence like we saw in the doc, but recruitment and negotiations especially is all Edu.

I will link you to the Athletic piece if I find it.

Here:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'm not so sure. I like the way he is very personable. He has a certain charm and you see it with his interactions.

I don't think he could have done much with Pepe. Pepe has barely played and literally came out saying he is ready for the new season. He won't want to drop a wage that he won't obtain anywhere else in the world. Loan is all Edu can do. Not a bad thing building a relationship with Nice either.

Barry

Garlick is literally just contracts and legal stuff that's it. He's been around the prem so I am sure he adds in his two pence like we saw in the doc, but recruitment and negotiations especially is all Edu.

I will link you to the Athletic piece if I find it.

Here:
Yeah that's interesting. It's not 100% clear from the article because he's done so much different stuff in the past, but it looks like the fee structure mostly sits with Edu and the contract terms (which includes wages and bonuses) mostly with Garlick. So presumably there's considerable overlap, especially on a contract termination but who knows.

They look like quite a close team on All or Nothing anyway and I reckon Garlick is quite influential - doubt he would have left his role with the Premier League otherwise.

Barry

I'm not so sure. I like the way he is very personable. He has a certain charm and you see it with his interactions.

I don't think he could have done much with Pepe. Pepe has barely played and literally came out saying he is ready for the new season. He won't want to drop a wage that he won't obtain anywhere else in the world. Loan is all Edu can do. Not a bad thing building a relationship with Nice either.
Edu is obviously very charming and charismatic and he's probably a good counterpoint to Arteta in some ways who is fearsomely intense sometimes.

I think Edu's personality is likely to be a huge plus in lots of situations but he hasn't really shown any aptitude at sales. Maybe that doesn't matter, if the team improves enough then everyone will want our players anyway. Not being able to sell a goal scorer like Pepe does seem odd though, there's always a market for goals.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Edu is obviously very charming and charismatic and he's probably a good counterpoint to Arteta in some ways who is fearsomely intense sometimes.

I think Edu's personality is likely to be a huge plus in lots of situations but he hasn't really shown any aptitude at sales. Maybe that doesn't matter, if the team improves enough then everyone will want our players anyway. Not being able to sell a goal scorer like Pepe does seem odd though, there's always a market for goals.

It's his wages. If he was on 80k instead of 130k he would have been snapped up.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
This is one of the mysteries to me. Why don't they re-negotiate such contract, give the man half of his wages, compensate the other half with a signing bonus and then sell him?
Exactly this, there are many ways to do it. You can contribute with wages when you sell a player as well. We have seen other teams get money from worse players on high salaries. Problem is once you paid your captain to leve for free you are yelling the world you suck as negotiator.

daron christie

Exactly this, there are many ways to do it. You can contribute with wages when you sell a player as well. We have seen other teams get money from worse players on high salaries. Problem is once you paid your captain to leve for free you are yelling the world you suck as negotiator.

Or the club had a recent history of buying players that attitude sucked

blrgooner

Established Member
This is one of the mysteries to me. Why don't they re-negotiate such contract, give the man half of his wages, compensate the other half with a signing bonus and then sell him?
As a player, why would you agree to this? In the next club your salary would still be lower than your current salary. Instead why not wait or go on loan earning your current salary and then sign for someone else as a free agent where you have higher leverage in terms of salary negotiation?

Last edited:

Uncle Good-Advice

As a player, why would you agree to this? In the next club your salary would still be lower than your current salary. Instead why not wait or go on loan earning your current salary and then sign for someone else as a few agent where you have higher leverage in terms of salary negotiation?
Let's say Pepe is on 140k a week for two more years, so roughly 15M overall and say Nice is willing to buy him for 15-20M but can only offer 70k per week. Give him a new contract at Arsenal 70k a week and signing bonus 7,5M as a compensation for wages lost. There are surely some tax optimisations to be done but player will earn the same money as he would playing out his contract - 70k at Nice and bonus cash from Arsenal. Or like @yorch44 said you can sweeten this deal by giving him few extra mill as a sweetener for a future wages. Then you can sell him for 15-20M and make profit.

blrgooner

Established Member
Let's say Pepe is on 140k a week for two more years, so roughly 15M overall and say Nice is willing to buy him for 15-20M but can only offer 70k per week. Give him a new contract at Arsenal 70k a week and signing bonus 7,5M as a compensation for wages lost. There are surely some tax optimisations to be done but player will earn the same money as he would playing out his contract - 70k at Nice and bonus cash from Arsenal. Or like @yorch44 said you can sweeten this deal by giving him few extra mill as a sweetener for a future wages. Then you can sell him for 15-20M and make profit.
Yeah so if its a 5 year contract at Nice, he ends up earning 70k for the next 5 years. Instead if he waits for 2 years or goes on loan and performs, Nice might end up getting him without having to pay 15-20m to arsenal and thus might be able to get him at his current wages or more. So he ends up earning the same amount now as well as in the future.
Has there ever been an example of a 26-30 year old player signing an updated contract at "reduced" wages?
Contributing to future wages is pretty much same as paying him to leave. Why would we do that? How is that going to be beneficial for us? So if Nice can only pay him 70k for a 5 year contract, should we pay around 37M to make up for his reduced wages for 5 years?
There are very few examples of such things happening and a lot more examples of clubs struggling to offload players with high wages. Its not only us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom