• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Nicolas Pepe (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Yeah I don't disagree with this. The comparison with Saka is quite stark, Saka's game intelligence and decision making is on another level to Pepe. Always thought the workrate criticism was a bit harsh though
Best case scenario is that Pepe is one of those players that just needs to be a big fish in a small pond. Theres actually plenty of examples like this (possibly even one of our new recruits...). His failure here doesnt necessarily need to fall on our managers (esp since neither wanted him). He's off to a smaller club in his home country, I hope he bangs and we get some money for him. But you just know that ifbhe does bang everyone will be on the manager's case when it probably never would have worked. Is Mikel > Guardiola because Jesus is banging here? like **** he is

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yeah I don't disagree with this. The comparison with Saka is quite stark, Saka's game intelligence and decision making is on another level to Pepe. Always thought the workrate criticism was a bit harsh though
As with a lot of Pepe's game (and a lot of old school wingers & wide forwards), the issue is consistency. Sometimes he worked his nuts off, and sometimes he was a bit of a stroller. Must be maddening for a coach, because when he's really on it, he's a good worker back, a great ball carrier and a deadly finisher, but when he's off...really not that many Arsenal players I've seen with such a large gap between their best and worst. Hopefully Nice will use him in a way that accentuates his strengths and can carry his inconsistencies. Could see him and Rambo linking well for sure.

bakaboo

Simply Pepe playing style did not match the Arteta playing system. And he failed to adjust to London lifestyle and affect his performance?

Anyway Arsenal seems to sign quite a few players that unable adjust to a English speaking environment? Gabriel Paulista , Lucas Torreira, Pepe just to name a few

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
My point is their cost and their inability to live upto it and the discourse around them.

Maguires cost is thrown in his face Pepe on the other hand has excuses at the ready: the manager doesn't like him (even though he had 3 managers who struggled to get the best out of him), the manager is racist, the manager doesn't trust him and the price tag isn't his fault.

Maguire is just an easy example because like Pepe his price stands out like a sore thumb and if people feel the need to have a pop and laugh at Maguire then at least be consistent about it. Pepe hasn't been good enough and most of that is down to Pepe. Its him on the pitch not delivering.
Did you think "let me post the biggest turd in this thread to get it closed quicker" or what was the aim with this? Genuinely no idea where to start here.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
I really liked Pepe. He played a few games LW and looked great I thought going forward Saka and Pepe would be a great balance.

But he was a bit too flaky, never had that confidence you looked for in a top winger. Hope whoever we sign is ready to be a star for us. Someone ruthless, Raphinha had that look too, very hungry

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You're actually being really foolish btw.
Im sorry you think that.

I see two record breaking signings who signed for their clubs at roughly the same time, both struggled at their clubs, both had issues with their national team, one is an online meme and offline joke and both might be leaving their club this window. If they do it'll be because they weren't good enough, nobody else to blame.

Seems fair cop to compare and contrast given the similarities. If others don't that's grand

Multipass

I was so excited after his first introduction where he came on and beat players relentlessly for the last 10 minutes of his first game with us.

Ultimately he’s just turned out to be a nutmeg merchant with a mean left foot. His finishing was his main useful asset for us but he’s hugged the line (assume by direction) without the enterprise and energy to bring himself into the game and fashion shooting opportunities the way saka and martinelli do.

Best of luck to him and I’m certain he’ll return goals back in ligue un

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Im sorry you think that.

I see two record breaking signings who signed for their clubs at roughly the same time, both struggled at their clubs, both had issues with their national team, one is an online meme and offline joke and both might be leaving their club this window. If they do it'll be because they weren't good enough, nobody else to blame.

Seems fair cop to compare and contrast given the similarities. If others don't that's grand

Ah shaddap man. Majority of the online fanbase thinks Pepe is sh*t not sure what you’re looking for and quite frankly don’t even wish to know.

Pepe had 5 starts last season, Maguire was forced despite his struggles, there’s obviously a lot of meme potential for the latter.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Did you think "let me post the biggest turd in this thread to get it closed quicker" or what was the aim with this? Genuinely no idea where to start here.

Ah shaddap man. Majority of the online fanbase thinks Pepe is sh*t not sure what you’re looking for and quite frankly don’t even wish to know.
The aim was a discussion around Pepe and how legitimate criticism of him is brushed off yet a comparable player like Maguire is widely accepted.

Ive got my answer.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't put his failure entirely on him. Been here four years and still yet to start 3/4 consecutive league games.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
The aim was a discussion around Pepe and how legitimate criticism of him is brushed off yet a comparable player like Maguire is widely accepted.

Ive got my answer.
If you think Maguire and Pepe are in any shape or form comparable I've no idea what to tell you.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Ive got my answer.

You guys have criticised Pepe to death I don’t understand what discussion you want.

Even on his way out majority of the forum can’t help but talk about him like he’s special needs, too dumb to possibly cope with Arteta’s big brain football atleast memes would be funnier.

The guy won a FA Cup here, never struggled for his national team (actually thrived and outshone Zaha) and has plenty of highlights despite his struggles, something Maguire will never have.

Will memes and ridicule make you feel better? Well that says a lot about you more than anything.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The guy won a FA Cup here, never struggled for his national team (actually thrived and outshone Zaha) and has plenty of highlights despite his struggles, something Maguire will never have.
You can put as many arguments as you want here, it won't make a difference with most people.

The player you compared Pepe with is not Maguire, it's actually Di Maria. Struggled at United, in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong manager, but still a fantastic player when used properly.

After 3 years, I can't even summarize how Pepe did at Arsenal, like the guy above said, we are yet to see him starting 4 consecutive games, and his last season was nonexistent starting only a few games. He only had 1 season with Arsenal and even that was affected by the signing of Willian, so basically half a season, and I thought he did well at the time

lomekian

Essays are my thing
You guys have criticised Pepe to death I don’t understand what discussion you want.

Even on his way out majority of the forum can’t help but talk about him like he’s special needs, too dumb to possibly cope with Arteta’s big brain football atleast memes would be funnier.

The guy won a FA Cup here and has plenty of highlights despite his struggles, something Maguire will never have.

Will memes and ridicule make you feel better? Well that says a lot about you more than anything.
Not sure why you and two or three others are always so sensitive about Pepe.

Almost no-one has questioned his character. He's very talented, very inconsistent in general and within games, and has not been able to adapt to the way Arteta wants him to play. No one has remotely suggested he's remedial - simply that some players can do things others can't and that applies mentally and physically as well as technically. The fact that people observe that he can't consistently play in the way our tactics or aspirational level require doesn't mean they think he's a *****, it just means he lacks the consistency of focus, confidence or engagement required. Intelligence and consistency of performance/application or adaptability are different things.

For me, I've seen no evidence of stupidity, but have seen and heard evidence that despite his best efforts he's remained slightly peripheral and has never fully settled. Not in a Torreira way, but more a bit like Emery - just doesn't seem the right environment for his personality. Size of club? Big city? Different country? Language? We can only speculate. Which is why going to Nice rather than the rumoured Leicester makes sense.

We've all seen him switched on and be super lively, effective and play with the required speed of interplay. But we've all seen the opposite at least as often. It is what it is. Wouldn't be as big of an issue had we paid half of what we did which would be about right. He's just frustrating as a player because the gap between good Pepe and bad Pepe is so big.

Maguire's primarily similarity is being a good player who has gone to the wrong place and the wrong time, and ended up both at a team that doesn't fit him, and where the scrutiny and consistent level required is a bit too much. That said, as has become clear, things up there are at least as bad as they have been here. His best isn't as good as Pepe's best, and his worst not as bad, but both moves have been bad for player and the clubs involved.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He's just frustrating as a player because the gap between good Pepe and bad Pepe is so big.
I'm starting to think this is how Arteta sees him, and he is much happier to have Saka/Martinelli who are both willing to do the basics right every game while everything else is a bonus, rather than having Pepe who will have a brilliant game winning it on his own and for the next two he will set up counters for the opposition and frustrate everyone.

I was always saying Pepe is a bit like Zaha, they need to be big players at a small club where it's OK to have some bad games as long as they are able to produce moments of magic at times

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Not sure why you and two or three others are always so sensitive about Pepe.

I have very little patience for @weirdobob because he's had a problem with Pepe for years now so his attempts of a "discussion", much like yourself is never from a good place.

Before Bob would cry about the bulk of his goals in France being penalties, his price tag, wishing he got sold every window, his latest angle is pointing at Maguire and wondering why he's not a meme like him.

I don't care to discuss if Pepe is good anymore, you guys have won, I'm defeated, tired, he's the worst player we've ever seen, whatever. The bias WeirdoBob is looking for is Magurie is a defender, Pepe is an attacker. A defender's career is defined by their mistakes, an attacker can dress up sh*t performances with a sick goal or a nutmeg here and there. It's really not rocket science and not much deeper than that.

My problem is you and Bob come from some very weird angles in a desperate attempt to further discredit an already unpopular and clearly failed signing at every opportunity.

He has a tiny fanbase that has more patience for him than others, you guys have to ask yourselves why that's such a problem.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I'm starting to think this is how Arteta sees him, and he is much happier to have Saka/Martinelli who are both willing to do the basics right every game while everything else is a bonus, rather than having Pepe who will have a brilliant game winning it on his own and for the next two he will set up counters for the opposition and frustrate everyone.

I was always saying Pepe is a bit like Zaha, they need to be big players at a small club where it's OK to have some bad games as long as they are able to produce moments of magic at times
Its just that those kind of players (albeit Zaha's physicality and bloody mindedness makes him a better fit for the EPL) just make it very difficult for a coach to plan, which is obviously particularly an issue for a system heavy coach like Arteta. Pepe would have been a better player under late Wenger, where he'd have less structural and ball progression responsibility, and be stationed nearer the box for more of the game.

That period was characterised by great individual performance levels by attacking players, but a soft underbelly repeatedly exposed by cheap giveaways in midfield. Our problems under Arteta have been of a different nature, and only time will tell which is the better approach, but the recent trend is for slightly less 'oh ffs' moments. If Pepe could have cut those out of his game more, Saka might not be a right winger for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom