• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Nicolas Pepe (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Super bored of this discussion, so I won't go into it.

Glad we managed to move him, I assume there will be a marginal loan fee involved, despite it being a 'dry loan' (lol). Secretly hoped we could've shifted him to Newcastle or PSG or something for €20m, but let's hope he does well at Nice and finds suitors next summer. A good season of consistent playing should allow us to recoup a decent size of the fee. Flopping this year and it's paying to terminate I'm afraid.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
and I'm bored of you saying you're bored of this discussion. You're most likely not getting a fee looking at Bellerin, Auba etc and Arsenal will be fine with it.
:lol: You're quite the belligerent type aren't you? This is the first time I posted I'm bored of the discussion. Had it loads of times in his regular thread.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I have very little patience for @weirdobob because he's had a problem with Pepe for years now so his attempts of a "discussion", much like yourself is never from a good place.

Before Bob would cry about the bulk of his goals in France being penalties, his price tag, wishing he got sold every window, his latest angle is pointing at Maguire and wondering why he's not a meme like him.

I don't care to discuss if Pepe is good anymore, you guys have won, I'm defeated, tired, he's the worst player we've ever seen, whatever. The bias WeirdoBob is looking for is Magurie is a defender, Pepe is an attacker. A defender's career is defined by their mistakes, an attacker can dress up sh*t performances with a sick goal or a nutmeg here and there. It's really not rocket science and not much deeper than that.

My problem is you and Bob come from some very weird angles in a desperate attempt to further discredit an already unpopular and clearly failed signing at every opportunity.

He has a tiny fanbase that has more patience for him than others, you guys have to ask yourselves why that's such a problem.
What the actual F***?

Its a discussion forum about the player leaving, in which people are discussing why the move hasn't worked out. I've never said he's rubbish, never slagged off his character, never said it's entirely his fault it hasn't worked. I've pointed out his strengths as well as his flaws.

I have no problem with people having patience with the player, or liking him or saying we shouldn't sell him (hell, unless we replace him, we shouldn't let him leave, and I said I was happy enough to keep him when it became clear there were no bids forthcoming, because despite his flaws we know he can be a matchwinner). I just don't understand why talking about why it hasn't worked, without somehow blaming the manager, is seen as some sort of human rights violation.

After all, the only reason he's worth talking about at all is because we can all see the talent, there's nothing to suggest he's an a-hole (unlike some that preceded him), and its disappointing it hasn't worked - in part down to weaknesses in his game that for whatever reason he has been unable to address.

For the record he's comfortably better than a healthy chunk of our banter era (and beyond) players that we've signed, and its only the fee and his wages that make the fact it hasn't worked a big issue, and that's not on him.

Anyway, hopefully he finds his confidence again in a team better placed to accept the trade off of his flaws to get all the good stuff, and we can get £20-25m for him next summer.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

*mentions Pepe*

angry dog GIF

Thought you were someone else apologies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Not crazy about this deal tbh. Loan with no option and only a percentage of the wages covered?

I mean, he’s not on that much money. It’s not like him leaving frees up bigger transfer possibilities.

If we get a replacement then fair enough, if not we should just keep him. We’ve got Europa this year and Pepe usually kills that competition.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

A bit sad to see him leave but he has been a real flop overall. But around the box he has been gold at times. He really has goals in him. Goals a bit out of nowhere. Well, well... Good luck little Pepe!

Sassy Good Bye GIF

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
We got baited by Raul and youtube highlights. The most inconsistent player there is, simply rubbish, no need to twerk for him. Good riddance.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Poor signing (some things were out of Nico's control though) but not a poor player...had some quality moments here, in his first season especially he looked very exciting...lost all confidence here now though, so this is for the best.

Hope he plays well there, gets to fall in love with football again after probably being annoyed by it this last year...Rambo has a fellow FA cup winning buddy as a teammate now!

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Poor signing (some things were out of Nico's control though) but not a poor player...had some quality moments here, in his first season especially he looked very exciting...lost all confidence here now though, so this is for the best.

Hope he plays well there, gets to fall in love with football again after probably being annoyed by it this last year...Rambo has a fellow FA cup winning buddy as a teammate now!
Very fair comment.
Sometimes unfortunately things simply don't work out for a player, it happens at every club & under every manager.
Thing that is crystal clear with the agenda boys on here though is if a player doesn't make it at Arsenal the manager is always to blame & any 'flops' are used as a stick to beat on Arteta.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Very fair comment.
Sometimes unfortunately things simply don't work out for a player, it happens at every club & under every manager.
Thing that is crystal clear with the agenda boys on here though is if a player doesn't make it at Arsenal the manager is always to blame & any 'flops' are used as a stick to beat on Arteta.
He wasn't even a regular starter for Emery, it's one of those when coaches and the board are not on the same page. These things also happen when you change coaches frequently but the players remain and the new guy mostly doesn't like the old players (what happened with Manchester United after Ferguson).

Arteta wasn't forced to get any results last year or the year before that, that's why he was happy to put Pepe on the bench as he didn't want him here long term. Not saying Pepe would've won the league for us, but at times it felt like we could've used his skills in front of the goal, especially at the end of the last season when we lost 3 small games which Pepe usually can win on his own

slam1986

Not crazy about this deal tbh. Loan with no option and only a percentage of the wages covered?

I mean, he’s not on that much money. It’s not like him leaving frees up bigger transfer possibilities.

If we get a replacement then fair enough, if not we should just keep him. We’ve got Europa this year and Pepe usually kills that competition.
To understand this loan, we need to think in terms of how accounting/FFP works here:

We signed Pepe for a reported 72m, wages of 7m per year for 5 years. The important part here is that the 72m is amortised over the length of the contract - i.e. 14m a year or so.

There’s two years left, so from an accounting and FFP view, we allocate 14m+7m for this season and next.

Let’s look at two scenarios - one where we loan Pepe and another where we sell:

If we loan, we save up to 7m this season.
However, if we sold, Pepe goes off our books, meaning that we cannot book the original transfer fee to next season - say we sold for 10m, we would end up taking an immediate loss of 28m minus 10m = 18 million this year. Given this, a loan is significantly better than a sale for this years finances.

While 7m doesn’t seem like a lot of money, given amortisation again, we can spread the cost of a transfer - 7m this year means that we can buy a player on a 5 year contract up to 7*5=35 million.

Note here this is very different to Auba where we’ve already fully booked his transfer fee, so any savings goes directly to the transfer fund.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
To understand this loan, we need to think in terms of how accounting/FFP works here:

We signed Pepe for a reported 72m, wages of 7m per year for 5 years. The important part here is that the 72m is amortised over the length of the contract - i.e. 14m a year or so.

There’s two years left, so from an accounting and FFP view, we allocate 14m+7m for this season and next.

Let’s look at two scenarios - one where we loan Pepe and another where we sell:

If we loan, we save up to 7m this season.
However, if we sold, Pepe goes off our books, meaning that we cannot book the original transfer fee to next season - say we sold for 10m, we would end up taking an immediate loss of 28m minus 10m = 18 million this year. Given this, a loan is significantly better than a sale for this years finances.

While 7m doesn’t seem like a lot of money, given amortisation again, we can spread the cost of a transfer - 7m this year means that we can buy a player on a 5 year contract up to 7*5=35 million.

Note here this is very different to Auba where we’ve already fully booked his transfer fee, so any savings goes directly to the transfer fund.
That's very good insight into how it affects finances Many thanks for sharing👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom