• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah Willian signing was baffling but I think it was just for depth, even though I'd never take it. I just think Pepe, Laca and Auba just don't have the best chemistry, all 3 are better in the box with people creating for them.
Until we get a legit playmaker for our right side - it will always be a problem, even Saka deep down I know isn’t enough long term.

Zaha wouldn’t have worked also. I was watching him dribbling into Xhaka and playing for fouls, I reckon you and many others would have shat all over him too if he were here instead.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Until we get a legit playmaker for our right side - it will always be a problem, even Saka deep down I know isn’t enough long term.

Zaha wouldn’t have worked also. I was watching him dribbling into Xhaka and playing for fouls, I reckon you and many others would have shat all over him too if he were here instead.
No top team will sign Zaha. He needs tactical freedom for him to be remotely effective.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

with saka on one side zaha would relish on the other side. When teams play Palace they only focus on Zaha. He has no one that can take pressure on him. In one on one he is devastating. thats why teams always double on him. No one worries about pepe

Did anyone think he was good last season though? He's been pretty bad his whole time here, I was writing him off last season and people kept fighting for him and calling me a troll and now everyone else has written him off.
Fair play to you but some of us called wrote him off before we even signed him. It's really surprising that an amateur could see what seasoned proffesionals couldn't.

Kav

Established Member
My 2 cents on Pepe and the rationale behind his signing.

Pepe just had the best season of his life at Lille scoring 20+ goals and having 10+ assist that season. He was clearly in form. He was a goal scoring winger and those are in high demand. Raul probably thought that this is our chance to sign our own version of Salah.

What pepe a good fit for the team? That is the important question. I don't think Emery was enamored with Pepe's style of play and he unfortunately came into the said hewn it was not playing well.

Has he produced the goods so far? No he has been inconsistent. Is it mostly his fault he is inconsistent? that is debatable. We have seen for example that when he's given a consistent run he will produce some goals and assists. However he has not been given that opportunity particularly this year.

Is he the only one not playing well, no the entire team is mediocre right now. What should be done, stick with him as he can't get worse than willian and can only improve.

If the opportunity comes to recuperate the funds we paid, then we should accept and invest those sums wisely.

Until then we should support him. This applies to all our players including the duds like Xhaka, Bellerin, Mustafi and Willian of late.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Yannick bolasie

Nah Pepe is the Ivorian Ryo Myachi. Both are failed signings with the peak of their Arsenal career coming in the form of overhyped pointless runs.

Ryo:

Pepe:

Totally forgot the end of this play. :lol: Typical Pepe. Those with rose tinted glasses will see poor ol’ picked on Nico forgetting the ball (again) due to the manager, Bellerin, Willian’s signing, etc all working together to make him look a poor footballer though.

Last edited:

Vibra

Established Member
For an tricky winger he had a pretty unexciting youtube compilation video. Should have been a dead giveaway

Now this is a highlight reel worth 72m

If you'd showed Raul this and then a Pepe one right after he'd never have paid all that money for him, especially with Lucas ending up at Sp**s

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Funny him and Hazard been very bad investment. Hazard been 100x worse

Hazard has already proven that he is a world class player for years. Plus most of his struggles at Madrid are because of injuries. I would still take current Hazard over Pepe if he could stay fit. Hazard may also be falling out of his prime. Not everyone is Messi or Cristiano in terms of being great into their 30s.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Said it before and I’ll say it again everyone knew what Arjen Robben was gonna do, fake right cut in left curl left footed top corner. It’s not the predictability it’s the slowness and conviction Pepe has no conviction and is slow getting past through or around players

Robben also had world class technique and was very explosive. He was always a step or two ahead, both mentally and physically. Pepe is not on that level of talent. Pepe's technique and fundamentals are not at a high enough level to make up for his lack of awareness and poor decision-making.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Nah Pepe is the Ivorian Ryo Myachi. Both are failed signings with the peak of their Arsenal career coming in the form of overhyped pointless runs.

Ryo:

Pepe:

Totally forgot the end of this play. :lol: Typical Pepe. Those with rose tinted glasses will see poor ol’ picked on Nico forgetting the ball (again) due to the manager, Bellerin, Willian’s signing, etc all working together to make him look a poor footballer though.
nothing in common about the two players at all. Myachi was actually a better team player but has spent half of his career on the treatment table so never developed. Pepe has more top draw finishing ability, but his decision making is usually not good, and he's combination play is poor

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
nothing in common about the two players at all. Myachi was actually a better team player but has spent half of his career on the treatment table so never developed. Pepe has more top draw finishing ability, but his decision making is usually not good, and he's combination play is poor
We never bought Myaichi to get results on the pitch.
We bought him because we can get more fans and merchandise income from East Asia.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Well he’s not being used in the league, maybe Arteta is right not to?

You guys are free to do what you want, but I personally can’t blame the season we’re having on this guy.

Not sure what you want me to say there he’s obviously not working out.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Remember when Arsenal fans used to complain that we never made big money signings. Don't know about you boys but this Pepe deal has completely scarred me for life on big money transfers. I think we should just limit ourselves to £50 million.

Despite my issues with Pepe, I do think this club sets up big money transfers to fail. We often buy these big vanity signings to cover the cracks of a poorly constructed team. When we signed Pepe we had just lost most of our creative players in Ramsey, Özil, Iwobi, Cazorla, and Mhki and then we expect for Pepe to be our creative spark and score goals with very little help from established players.

Big money transfers should only be used as the final piece of a jigsaw puzzle. If your team is more or less complete and your aiming for the title then it makes sense to go big on a player but spending big to help "bridge" the gap to your rivals is actually disastrous. Firstly, the cost of failure if that player turns out bad means you have to accept losing money which isn't good if you have other areas that are in need of rebuilding. Secondly, a complete team can actually help cover the cracks of the flop player. Look at Naby Keita of Liverpool. He's been a terrible signing but rarely does his name get called out. Why? Because Liverpool's team can cover his tracks and effectively turn him into an expensive squad player rather than a flop. Therefore, if they choose to sell, they'll undoubtedly get money for him than what they would if he was considered a flop.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Well he’s not being used in the league, maybe Arteta is right not to?

You guys are free to do what you want, but I personally can’t blame the season we’re having on this guy.

Not sure what you want me to say there he’s obviously not working out.
Nobody is blaming the season solely on him. People are blaming him for not being good enough let alone the great player some say he is

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Despite my issues with Pepe, I do think this club sets up big money transfers to fail. We often buy these big vanity signings to cover the cracks of a poorly constructed team. When we signed Pepe we had just lost most of our creative players in Ramsey, Özil, Iwobi, Cazorla, and Mhki and then we expect for Pepe to be our creative spark and score goals with very little help from established players.
We’ve needed a right winger for years. Think of all the names who have played there, Walcott, Ramsey, Özil, Sanchez, Auba, Iwobi, just off the top of my head, all slap dash - even Saka now. Emery was correct to highlight that area as a need.

We had the right idea it was just the wrong type. Rather than someone who can make a difference in the final third, a creative playmaking winger would have suited us better. We face more deep blocks than teams willing to play with us.

For that reason Zaha probably wouldn’t have worked also, being mostly a left sided player. Furthermore - In his interview with Carragher he even said himself he prefers to play in a team that is organised and counters. This was us at the end of last season (hence Auba and Pepe thriving in the FA Cup).

Bernardo Silva (even though he’s bit dodgy as a person) is literally the perfect type who can play everywhere in midfield. He’s a bit washed up now but someone like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom