• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I guess @Jury was right this guy can produce when he needs to and maybe I'm the one not giving him credit. Peach of a cross with weaker foot, unlucky with his finish think the defender did enough to put him off.

GunnerShy

I guess @Jury was right this guy can produce when he needs to and maybe I'm the one not giving him credit. Peach of a cross with weaker foot, unlucky with his finish think the defender did enough to put him off.
Genuine assist that one. People should compare it with the Willian Benfica or Burnley assists.

People on here still moaning about him not scoring but not a bad output for 20 odd minutes. Others did less in 90...

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Genuine assist that one. People should compare it with the Willian Benfica or Burnley assists.

People on here still moaning about him not scoring but not a bad output for 20 odd minutes. Others did less in 90...
Think Pepe needs to start. He is in good form currently and he always makes something happen around the opposition penalty box. He has shown a lot lately and should start ahead of e.g. Auba in my view. I'd rather see him on the left than Auba if we play Laca in the middle.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The new thing the Pepe agenda merchants are doing is judging him off of the 1-2 shots he gets a game in 20 mins of playing time. Which funnily enough is usually more shots than anyone else on the pitch has had.

Think he’s actually been quite unlucky in recent weeks, two goal line clearances (one from his own teammate) and two legit penalty shouts turned down as well. Arteta knows this too but seems to only care about the numbers judging from how Willian gets starts with his basic 5 yard/set piece assists.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The new thing the Pepe agenda merchants are doing is judging him off of the 1-2 shots he gets a game in 20 mins of playing time. Which funnily enough is usually more shots than anyone else on the pitch has had.

Think he’s actually been quite unlucky in recent weeks, two goal line clearances (one from his own teammate) and two legit penalty shouts turned down as well. Arteta knows this too but seems to only care about the numbers judging from how Willian gets starts with his basic 5 yard/set piece assists.
Thars why I keep saying:

Whisper it...

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
He has to play somehow he’s a player who creates chances and makes things happen. Just need to find a vein of form and the goals will flow. Nobody else offers what he does he would be first team for me.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
😜 You are meant to be his biggest stan and you’re doing him dirty! I think he’s been working hard on his right foot by the look of things. That cross was Beckham- esque

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You like numbers when it suits, like @Trilly. Trilly doesn’t want to look at numbers when the subject is Pepe though...
😏
Just ran some goals + assists per 90 minute numbers for players with >900 mins and guess who the top three are in the squad right now?

Laca, Auba and Pepe. Bear in mind that Auba and Laca have both taken more penalties than Pepe (1).

Probably just Europa League stat padding right? Ran it again for the PL only and this time the top 3 is Laca, Pepe and Auba.

Hate to keep embarrassing you like this man.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He’s got a tough job trying to get in front of ESR but he’s doing his best every chance he gets. All our attacking options are thriving.

Teta needs to let him 💥
He has to play ahead of smith rowe. He has more goals and assists in him. sure he loses the ball more as well. But you need game deciders and pepe can undoubtly score and assists way more than smith rowe

GunnerShy

Just ran some goals + assists per 90 minute numbers for players with >900 mins and guess who the top three are in the squad right now?

Laca, Auba and Pepe. Bear in mind that Auba and Laca have both taken more penalties than Pepe (1).

Probably just Europa League stat padding right? Ran it again for the PL only and this time the top 3 is Laca, Pepe and Auba.

Hate to keep embarrassing you like this man.
He's done almost the same PL numbers as Saka in half the minutes. Which is not to say he should be played in place of Saka, but perhaps we shouldn't rush Saka back to the point of reinjuring himself if Pepe is fit?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He's done almost the same PL numbers as Saka in half the minutes. Which is not to say he should be played in place of Saka, but perhaps we shouldn't rush Saka back to the point of reinjuring himself if Pepe is fit?
Makes Arteta’s agenda against him all the more confusing. He’s his most productive player that isn’t a striker and last I checked it’s goals/assists that win you games. 😅

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Makes Arteta’s agenda against him all the more confusing. He’s his most productive player that isn’t a striker and last I checked it’s goals/assists that win you games. 😅
Nah, it merely makes another total mockery of stats without context. Stop lying to yourself ffs 🤣

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Pepe has 6 goal contributions in 1053 PL minutes. Willian has 5 goal contributions in 1198 PL minutes.

If anyone is trying to defend Pepe based on uncontextualised stats or even remotely imply that he's anywhere near Saka, then the EXACT same can be done for Willian.... So where is the Willian defence force?

GunnerShy

Pepe has 6 goal contributions in 1053 PL minutes. Willian has 5 goal contributions in 1198 PL minutes.

If anyone is trying to defend Pepe based on uncontextualised stats or even remotely imply that he's anywhere near Saka, then the EXACT same can be done for Willian.... So where is the Willian defence force?
Uncontextualised stats? Like the fact that he's been a stop start fixture within the team. Often dropped when in form, offered meaningless minutes at the end of games.

Provide the context for his performance this year... Please

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Kaboom!!!! They wont want to hear that. @Trilly wont, anyway.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Uncontextualised stats? Like the fact that he's been a stop start fixture within the team. Often dropped when in form, offered meaningless minutes at the end of games.

Provide the context for his performance this year... Please
Per 90 mins Pepe is inferior to Willian in terms of:

Touches
Possession lost
Passes attempted
Passes completed
Pass accuracy
Cross accuracy
Take-on success
Ground duel-success

etc... as well as a bunch of other key stats. And once again I'm not seeing anyone rush to defend Willian despite a fairly identical distribution of minutes.

Mate I'm not disputing that Pepe has been improving lately, so if we want to mention that then we should be talking about his recent games. I'm all for that, go right ahead. But when we talk in generalities and talk about the season as a whole to try and defend the totality of his performances, that's what I'm against. Because prior to his recent run of tidy performances, he was fairly poor before that and no amount of stats can convince me of what my eyes saw otherwise.

Because as I'm highlighting if we go down that route then people could make the same arguments for Willian despites his tangible performances being poor. And you could also factor in that Willian was a free vs 72 million Pepe etc.. You're flogging a dead horse at this stage. For me personally the current assessment should be: Pepe had a bad/indifferent 1st season, had a bad 1/2-2/3rd of this season but he's currently getting better so lets wait and see if that continues and improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom