• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Thing I don't get is he scored loads of goals running in behind and being a sort of wing forward yet we/he keep playing him as a right midfielder on the touchline

I did think that would stop given that he was playing more like a wide forward towards the end of last season.

But it's like all of that was forgotten and we're back to instructing him to get chalk on his boots. Who knows...

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He needs to stop dribbling into crowds without a plan. Get it out his feet more, whether it’s a pass or a shot.

He needs to contribute more when we don’t have the ball. Things he’s not gonna get to grips with playing 15-20 mins.

The way we play our right wingers is weird anyways - they aren’t that involved compared to our left side, regardless of whoever plays there.

I think the best thing he could do is pretty much forget about trying to 'beat' people and try and be a pass move and end product player.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
As i said in Match thread even tho he earn less wages than guys like Sokratis and mustafi kola but if his performance not improve this year you'll have to sell next summer.

Also he need to cut out the selfish he can dribble 2-3 players but won't pass and just lost his balance Arteta will have to tell Pepe to play for the team. I mean the quality is there his performance in cup final was very good.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Do start to wonder if Arteta isn't a huge fan of him but we'll see. Feels like he's behind Willian and Saka at the moment.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I think the best thing he could do is pretty much forget about trying to 'beat' people and try and be a pass move and end product player.

Yep, Messi aside how many players regularly beat several men AND still produce, I'm really struggling to think, maybe Sancho? But it takes a helluva lot of talent.

Even Salah doesn't really do that, he just takes good positions, maybe shimmies past one player (whilst the ball is already moving rapidly) and uses that to his advantage to score which is really what we should be trying to do with Pepe.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yep, Messi aside how many players regularly beat several men AND still produce, I'm really struggling to think, maybe Sancho? But it takes a helluva lot of talent.

Even Salah doesn't really do that, he just takes good positions, maybe shimmies past one player (whilst the ball is already moving rapidly) and uses that to his advantage to score which is really what we should be trying to do with Pepe.

He should be replicating Aubameyang

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
He’ll be doing the same thing all season, he’s a limited footballer.

And what he’s good at he’s not even really good at. I said it last season but all the warning signs were there and if we were ruthless we would have cut our losses before the value drops for him even further next summer.

Let me guess, you think hes limited because he uses his left foot more than his right?

mpower2540

Im getting quite worried about Pepe. Admittedly it was a very tough game to come into and have an impact but he’s really quite a messy player in a lot of ways.

Bumbles his way past a challenge but then stumbles on the ball and loses it. Even in his first touch where he tried running down the line and just went out of play. I’m overreacting probably but it was another pretty underwhelming cameo from him. Still have faith cos we need him to come good!!

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Funny enough I saw analysis when they compared Salah from his Chelsea days and he was pretty much dribbling without a plan too, falling all over the place.

I can’t see Pepe ever becoming as powerful and as explosive as Salah but you’d hope he learns to be more incisive with time.

PressResistance

Given how Saka wasn't playing at LWB but more advanced or in midfield, we have de facto played a 4 at the back.

There has to be a place for him against sides that defend deep against us.
He's also a one-man fastbreak, only one who does it better with less skill is Martinelli, useful against Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Too much yanking off him in and out the lineup.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Its not the best example but look at City. Mahrez and Bernardo basically start the same amount of games in the league on the right. But the confidence and drive to both succeed and not get down about being left out is there.

Pepe needs to just get his head down instead of going down the rabbit hole of getting depressed about not playing. Fight for your spot.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
However ineffective he was today, we had decent counters only after he came in. He is our only way out for a quick counter.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Needs a run to see if he can be a key player for us. It’s difficult because we’re getting results without him but I feel he offers us something we don’t have when he’s not in the team.

A bit like Ceballos, he needs to simplify his game. Know when to take a player on and when to pass it off and dart into space. I think he can be a big player for us but his game needs redefining a tad.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
If you compare him to the player we nearly signed instead of him - Zaha - he comes off poorly, because he doesn't have the power that Zaha has. A more useful comparison is Mahrez. Obviously he's nowhere near Mahrez, but they're both sort of wispy and skilful wingers. He should study Mahrez and try to model his game on him.
Mahrez is excellent technically that's the big difference and actually knows where he's going to kick the ball next.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Mahrez is excellent technically that's the big difference and actually knows where he's going to kick the ball next.
Pepe is superb technically tbh. There’s nothing he can’t do with the ball, that’s not really the problem. He’s one of if not the most technical player in the side.

His decision making is all over the place.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Pepe is superb technically tbh. There’s nothing he can’t do with the ball, that’s not really his problem.

So tell me how he seems unable to kick to ball in a straight line when running with it.

His touch is inconsistent if any thing, reminds in some ways like wallcot. At one moment take on the whole Liverpool team next running with the ball behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom