• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Ridiculously good in the last few weeks for us. Arteta needs to keep trusting him, Pepe looks like he’s got his mojo back.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
One thing that wasn't mentioned that much, there should never again be a discussion here if we should play Saka OR Pepe. Think it's fair to say they are the two of our best players and they need to be together on the pitch every game if possible. You don't see Mane being dropped because Salah plays.
Everyone else can add something to our game in their own way (or take something away from it), but you always expect Saka or Pepe to make a difference and decide a game.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

One thing that wasn't mentioned that much, there should never again be a discussion here if we should play Saka OR Pepe. Think it's fair to say they are the two of our best players and they need to be together on the pitch every game if possible. You don't see Mane being dropped because Salah plays.
Everyone else can add something to our game in their own way (or take something away from it), but you always expect Saka or Pepe to make a difference and decide a game.
It should be Saka and Pepe as first choice wingers with Martinelli and Nelson competing for those spots with ESR and Ødegaard battling for the number 10 spot. Nobody expected Willian to be this bad but even if he maintained his Chelsea form it's now clear that we really didn't need him. What an absolute waste of 200k per week.

Best part about this is that it isn't just the odd good game. He's been consistently good since we've had a working attack, shows that he's actually a good player. He's performing at a goal/assist every other game and it doesn't seem lucky/unsustainable. There might even be another level in him.

I'd like Saka starting on the RW and Pepe on the LW but I'd like to see them swap wings more during the game. There are times where you'd want Saka's delivery on the LW or times where you'd want Pepe's pace/finishing ability on the right. Maybe it's easier said than done to implement that but I've seen hints of it in game.

GoonerJay24

I like them both playing together too but then who would be dropped; Smith Rowe?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It should be Saka and Pepe as first choice wingers with Martinelli and Nelson competing for those spots with ESR and Ödegaard battling for the number 10 spot. Nobody expected Willian to be this bad but even if he maintained his Chelsea form it's now clear that we really didn't need him. What an absolute waste of 200k per week.

Best part about this is that it isn't just the odd good game. He's been consistently good since we've had a working attack, shows that he's actually a good player. He's performing at a goal/assist every other game and it doesn't seem lucky/unsustainable. There might even be another level in him.

I'd like Saka starting on the RW and Pepe on the LW but I'd like to see them swap wings more during the game. There are times where you'd want Saka's delivery on the LW or times where you'd want Pepe's pace/finishing ability on the right. Maybe it's easier said than done to implement that but I've seen hints of it in game.
Tbf, Willian has been good more often than not lately, so maybe he too has been benefiting from a functioning attack? Let’s not pretend he’s a **** footballer all of a sudden. I don’t know why people are so willing to go back to this ‘Willian is rubbish/useless’ narrative that was early-mid season.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Tbf, Willian has been good more often than not lately, so maybe he too has been benefiting from a functioning attack? Let’s not pretend he’s a **** footballer all of a sudden. I don’t know why people are so willing to go back to this ‘Willian is rubbish/useless’ narrative that was early-mid season.
Agree. He's been okay but it seems like Arteta didn't back one of Pepe/Saka/ESR to develop like they have and now Willian is looking like a decent squad option but we can't afford to have squad options on 200k a week. We've f*cked it again!

We'd have been better off signing a no8 who can play the odd game on the wing.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I'd argue the opposite really. Let's not pretend Willian is a useful squad option due to a few fluke assists that were barely worth the name. I remember several subs where he came in for 20 minutes and just completely stank up the place even though his supposed saving grace is that he's a tidy player who keeps us ticking (nevermind that a winger is supposed to create threats by taking on defenders and making runs, neither of which he does). I also can't remember a proper shot at goal from him.

I have never understood for a moment that he got gametime over Pepe or anyone else really. Was shouting for ESR in the squad the first half of the season as well.

He's only been better than his rubbish self recently which is the low standard we have set for ourselves at Arsenal for numerous players.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Watch him get dropped for the semis.
I don't believe it anymore, think Arteta swallowed his pride on this one and he understands now that Saka and Pepe should be the core of this team.

I like them both playing together too but then who would be dropped; Smith Rowe?
Not worried at all, ESR is super effective as a number 10 and could probably be retrained as an 8.
It should be Saka and Pepe as first choice wingers with Martinelli
I still can't diggest Martinelli on the wing. I think we need to bin one of the senior strikers and Nketiah, send Balogun out on loan and make Martinelli our CF. Nelson should be the guy who rotates with Pepe/Saka and he is also capable of playing as a 10. I'm not Nelson's biggest fan, but nobody will convince me that Willian or Martinelli offer anything more than he does on the wing (let's say the current version of Willian)

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I don't believe it anymore, think Arteta swallowed his pride on this one and he understands now that Saka and Pepe should be the core of this team.

Not worried at all, ESR is super effective as a number 10 and could probably be retrained as an 8.

I still can't diggest Martinelli on the wing. I think we need to bin one of the senior strikers and Nketiah, send Balogun out on loan and make Martinelli our CF. Nelson should be the guy who rotates with Pepe/Saka and he is also capable of playing as a 10. I'm not Nelson's biggest fan, but nobody will convince me that Willian or Martinelli offer anything more than he does on the wing (let's say the current version of Willian)

You not reckon its dangerous to bin everyone and go with a completely unproven goalscorer as our main striker? Seems a bit ridiculous.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You not reckon its dangerous to bin everyone and go with a completely unproven goalscorer as our main striker? Seems a bit ridiculous.
Well, I did say I would bin only 1 of them (plus Nketiah), think Martinelli has enough potential to be a valid backup option, or if he starts to bang those goals, he can also be a starter. Not that many clubs have 2 great CF's, in fact, most top clubs have only 1.
If you can add so many goals from wide areas with players like Saka and Pepe, you depend less on a great run from Auba or someone else, something we did for the past 2 years.
The team is much more balanced the way we play now, there are 3-4 players who can win us games, much different than waiting for Auba to score

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It is in our best interests to rotate Ødegaard and ESR in the number 10 role. The benefits are that you play them at their best position, and crucially you don't over play them thus increasing the risk of injury. Before Ødegaard got injured he played 15 games in less than 8 weeks. Smith Rowe at one point played in 12 consecutive PL games. It's best we don't run these guys into the ground while we have Pepe and Saka available on the wings. Two players who are better suited to play from there than ESR anyway.

Jakarta

Well, I did say I would bin only 1 of them (plus Nketiah), think Martinelli has enough potential to be a valid backup option, or if he starts to bang those goals, he can also be a starter. Not that many clubs have 2 great CF's, in fact, most top clubs have only 1.
If you can add so many goals from wide areas with players like Saka and Pepe, you depend less on a great run from Auba or someone else, something we did for the past 2 years.
The team is much more balanced the way we play now, there are 3-4 players who can win us games, much different than waiting for Auba to score

I always like target man strikers, but no doubt Martinelli can be that modern cf who can contribute to many phases in the attack.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I have never understood for a moment that he got gametime over Pepe or anyone else really. Was shouting for ESR in the squad the first half of the season as well.

He's only been better than his rubbish self recently which is the low standard we have set for ourselves at Arsenal for numerous players.
Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Think we need to move away from the narrative of starting players and back up players in that front three.

The only one who should be close to untouchable is Saka and even he shouldn't be playing every game.

ESR, Ødegaard and Pepe are in good form and Willian has been low key good recently too. They all need game time. That doesn't mean if they're a sub one week or taken off after 70 minutes that the manager hates them or is punishing them.

Then we've got a real talent like Martinelli who's going to need at least a portion of his minutes out wide and a forgotten guy like Nelson probably needs at least some sub minutes.

That's a lot of players vying for 3 starting berths and minutes. It's on Arteta to manage these guys minutes effectively and on the fans not to go demented if their favourite isn't picked for one game to give someone else a chance to impress and get some minutes.

For example in the Europa League semi final one of ESR, Ødegaard and Pepe are going to be left out. It'll be harsh on whoever it is and they'll have a legitimate gripe but it is what it is. There are limited places in the side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom