• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great piece of business, I hated the idea of Zaha for 60-80 but Pepe is a different animal. We're buying them young with a lot of upside it's clear what we want to do in the next couple of years.

Where are all those dossers who claimed we have no transfer strategy and only a couple of quids to spare. Bums who hate Emery and the new regime must be raging right now. @GDeep™, @hydrofluoric acid you ok?

Why would I be raging? I'm a huge Arsenal fan. Been celebrating Ceballos and Saliba here on the street in Iceland!

Don't agree with you on Pepe. Don't think he is that good from what I've seen but like with Lacazette I hope Pepe turns out good for us. Lacazette too!

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Is he that good?

I know @HBL will be having a stroke right now. :lol:

Reactions: HBL

Gursha

Guys... I know its not over... but arent we the kind of club that doesnt even bid if we didnt know via 3rd parties the player is interested?

My take is that the fact we had bid accepted surely means we know he'll choose us...

We are struggling to agree fees with clubs, never the player himself...

Pfff.... i just dont want to get excited... but thats normally a term i use when i see " personal terms agreed now only fee to be discussed"

Now we had our bid actually accepted...

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Don’t know much about him, but we needed width in attack badly so at least this addresses an area that needs improvement.

Worried that he won’t make the step up to the Premier League though, plus he hasn’t been tested against European competition. 80m, even in installments, is a big risk on a player that’s only played in France without any CL or Europa experience. Not exactly wonder kid age either at 24, should be near the finished product. Still excited though.

say yes

forum master baiter
So I've just read through the entire thread. Pretty clear who's a reliable source & who is not.

Early interest:
The top French outlets (Telefoot, L'Equipe, Matt Spiro) have been claiming we're very interested for about a year. Ballague also claimed we were interested back in Feb 18.

Original bid, 13 July:
TF1 (first) and then L'Equipe (confirmed) went in strongly on 13 July that we'd bid €80m and have stuck to that story consistently.

Disinformation, 13 July:
As soon as TF1 and L'Equipe reported the story, Ornstein reported we hadn't bid and couldn't afford Pepe. Benge & Watts followed him. Given what we know now, this looks like the club trying to squash news of our Pepe bid before it was settled.

Development, 14-27 July:
L'Equipe have stuck to their guns re. our bid and the other french sources have also reported this very well. Alexis Bernard (apparently the first to report Saliba interest) had details of the bid structure. Di Marzio and other Italian sources started getting involved yesterday saying that we were close. Ornstein (again followed by those ***** Benge and Watts) has confirmed today.

L'equipe, TF1, Di Marzio and maybe this Alexis Bernard guy too = Tier 1.
Ornstein = Tier whatever the club wants him to say.
Watts & Benge = Tier *****. Honestly don't see any point in these guys while Orny is around.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Him and Auba cutting in from their respective wings and Bellerin/Tierney overlapping is fap worthy.

Also this is why it’s an easier deal to do compared to Zaha. No way in hell Palace would’ve accepted an initial payment of £14.4M

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

This was surprising for sure! Great news though, didn't think we had a chance at him or even Zaha. Although I didn't buy the 45 million transfer budget at any point. People watching Ligue 1 seem to rate him here. He has played 3 full seasons in Ligue 1 now so has good experience in senior games, but only one great season. Team mates might affect that.

The most important part about this transfer would be to reach for the top 4 and secure Auba & Laca making new deals. Losing them cheap next year would be very bad, not sure if Auba has any extension option in contract. Even if we overpay this sends a strong message and gives us a lot better chance for top 4, because our youth wingers very likely cannot cut it in EPL constantly yet.

Reactions: A_G

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
So I've just read through the entire thread. Pretty clear who's a reliable source & who is not.

Early interest:
The top French outlets (Telefoot, L'Equipe, Matt Spiro) have been claiming we're very interested for about a year. Ballague also claimed we were interested back in Feb 18.

Original bid, 13 July:
TF1 (first) and then L'Equipe (confirmed) went in strongly on 13 July that we'd bid €80m and have stuck to that story consistently.

Disinformation, 13 July:
As soon as TF1 and L'Equipe reported the story, Ornstein reported we hadn't bid and couldn't afford Pepe. Benge & Watts followed him. Given what we know now, this looks like the club trying to squash news of our Pepe bid before it was settled.

Development, 14-27 July:
L'Equipe have stuck to their guns re. our bid and the other french sources have also reported this very well. Alexis Bernard (apparently the first to report Saliba interest) had details of the bid structure. Di Marzio and other Italian sources started getting involved yesterday saying that we were close. Ornstein (again followed by those ***** Benge and Watts) has confirmed today.

L'equipe, TF1, Di Marzio and maybe this Alexis Bernard guy too = Tier 1.
Ornstein = Tier whatever the club wants him to say.
Watts & Benge = Tier *****. Honestly don't see any point in these guys while Orny is around.

Can we get a tier ***** please @blaze_of_glory @Aevi @American_Gooner

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Martinelli - ? Probably a very low first payment
Saliba - £4M
Ceballos - £4M
Pepe - £14M

Probably around £20M done. 45m budget is correct just it’s first summer budget. So we can easily do Tierney and find a CB.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

People are worried that we overpaid for him but that’s how the market is operating nowadays.

Look at how much Atletico paid for João Felix. They paid €125m for an unproven 19 year old.

We have to get with the times.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Martinelli - ? Probably a very low first payment
Saliba - £4M
Ceballos - £4M
Pepe - £14M

Probably around £20M done. 45m budget is correct just it’s first summer budget. So we can easily do Tierney and find a CB.
That’s not how summer budget works I think? Transfers are almost always paid in installments, we did not invent it. We probably paid some installment from older transfers this year, do we take those from the budget too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom