• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Summer 2021

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 6,511
  • Views 447,464
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Tbh really don't know. Iirc he's mostly been used as a leftback before Davies broke through, then he's been injured a bit every now and then, Flick loves Boateng who tbh pulled himself out of bad form this season, Süle is a lumberjack but German so he's got that going for him, and then of course there's Alaba.

I guess they will stick to him, Süle and Upamecano and as the only left footed CB among their ranks I guess he'll slot into the team for Alaba and stick if he doesn't **** up.

Davies - Hernandez - Upamecano - Pavard

In that line up Pavard is the odd one out. They will not sell their last German defender in Süle but need another proper rightback. Means Pavard is the obvious choice to sell - would be a neat pickup for Arsenal. Guess they'd want around the 35m they paid for him. I'm not sure Salihamidzic is that bright, though.

I’ve not seen much of Pavard apart from the CL and the World Cup where he was obviously insane.

Lucas or him would be quality. Problem at clubs like Bayern is they have way too many options.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Lucas or him would be quality. Problem at clubs like Bayern is they have way too many options.

Yeah, as I said with the heavy fee and being the only leftie left next season I guess Hernandet will stay on, but there's been rumours about Pavard earlier this season that Flick isn't too impressed with him right now and tbh he has been struggling a bit with form. Also think he's still better at Cb than RB.

Toby

They're so well run.

Overall yes, but I think their recruitment under Salihamidzic has been somewhat off.

a) They're losing one of the world's best left footed CBs in Alaba due to what I believe wrong pride and probably having to save a bit due to Corona
b) They sold Thiago and now often seriously lack structure, flow and crisp passing in midfield and thus control over games
c) Sané hasn't done anything of substance for them and is struggling to fit in
d) Bouna Sarr has been an absolute flop as RB backup can can't even get a look in with Pavard struggling
e) Marc Roca has been an absolute flop
f) Tiago Dantas has been a flop
g) They're losing highly rated CM talent Angelo Stiller on a free to Hoffenheim due to signing Dantas and Roca
h) Theyhave two similar B2B mids in Goretzka and Tolisso, but after Thiago was sold once Kimmich is missing you can throw their midfield in the bin
i) Still not managed to get rif of Javi Martinez
j) Süle and Hernandez have both really been so hit and miss, an aged, struggling for form and dealing with private problems Boateng has managed to surpass them again in the pecking order
k) Alexander Nübel has to be one of the most useless signings ever both for club and player

At first glance they look pretty good and got a lot of quality in certain areas but right now it's not all that for them. Upamecano and Richards are probably steps in the right direction (and Richards actually points to Hernandez finally moving to CB for good), but they still got some work to do and I guess these next few seasons with Salihamidzic at the helm, Lewa and Neuer ageing, a leadership change from Rummenigge to a rather unproven Oliver Kahn seems tailormade for other German clubs to finally seriously challenge them.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
If this Omar Richards is good enough for Bayern, it is a shame we didn't go for him. Could do with a good LB back-up. Would be interesting if we could poach a highly rated reject from Bayern if things don't work out there for some reason.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
What's up with Bayern and other German clubs going after young English and North American players? They want Max Aarons too. It's just creepy if you ask me, downright predatory. Leave our children alone!

Toby

If this Omar Richards is good enough for Bayern, it is a shame we didn't go for him. Could do with a good LB back-up. Would be interesting if we could poach a highly rated reject from Bayern if things don't work out there for some reason.

Think that might well happen with Omar Richards. It's seriously hard to balance playing time with multiple talents in the same age bracket for one position as they all desperatly need confidence and game time.

And another factor is: You can rely on and have two or three talents for one position imo if none of them has properly overtaken the others and is firmly claiming a regular starting spot. An example: In the double 10 position, Stuttgart got old Castro and Didavi plus young talents Klimowicz, Coulibaly, Egloff. Castro is a set starter and the others compete for the other 10 spot, and as none of the youngsters is consistent enough to get regular starts, they are being rotated and end up getting enough consistent game time. Now look at the RW/RWB position: There's also three talents: Wamangituka, Churlinov and Massimo. But Wamangituka went through the roof, has become Stuttgart's top scorer and consistently performs so there's no way around him when fit - and that seriously limits the minutes needed by the other two talents to develop.

And the latter situation is imo the case at Bayern and Arsenal at LB. Their current starters Davies and Tierney are - when fit - dead set starters and consistent performers who will very rarely be benched if fit, so minutes for another young guy are seriously limited.

So we could well see Omar Richards back on the market in a season or two after not getting ahead of Davies and thus lacking minutes.

And for Arsenal I probably wouldn't go down the Bertrand route because he's honestly rather old right now, but I'd definitely go for a player older than Tierney in his late 20s, happy to play for a club like Arsenal, consistent, solid midtable/EL-level performer. Got no PL player on my mind, but e.g. Wolfsburg's Jerome Roussillon has such a profile; always thought he'd be a very consistent doing his job type of guy for EL-level PL team, which is enough for a backup.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Lee Buchanan I think is up there with Richards. He looks absolutely solid when I’ve seen him and although he’s mainly a LB can fill in at centre back as well.

@Toby Andrl I’m so glad neither Atletico or Arsenal were serious about Roca. I could see him for a nailed on flop a mile away.

Played like a retirement era Steven Gerrard regen at Espanyol. Can hit a switch out to the wing with no pressure on him but can’t handle a press at all.

Had poor close control and would dribble it down a blind alley. Was the most important player for one of the worst La Liga teams in recent memory.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I do like German football but this is why it's hard to take it seriously sometimes. It's just a big conveyor belt. Players and coaches go up the chain and it's all openly announced beforehand as if it were normal. If Dean Smith announced in the middle of the season that he's leaving to go to Everton in the summer there'd be a meltdown.

Good move though for Dortmund and Rose though.

Toby

It's just a big conveyor belt.

That's just how it is with 50+1. Even though it's a conveyor belt for foreign leagues now, too. Tuchel at Chelsea, Klopp at Liverpool, Hasenhüttl at Southampton, etc.

The only reason this doesn't happen in the PL is that the top clubs rather go for exotic foreign managers, imo, and can obviously attract them with lots of cash.

As for the early announcement: They're doing it to avoid media speculation and leaks disrupting their season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Can he play RB? would be an amazing upgrade on Hector and free. Oh never mind he earn 175k a week and him and super agent demand 300k

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Nah this takes it, this takes the biscuit, there's been some messed up Brazilian footballer names recently but i'm absolutely not accepting John Kennedy. John f*cking Kennedy. I'm livid.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Nah this takes it, this takes the biscuit, there's been some messed up Brazilian footballer names recently but i'm absolutely not accepting John Kennedy. John f*cking Kennedy. I'm livid.

Last Brazilian named Kennedy turn out massive flop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom