<

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Winter 2020

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by American_Gooner, Oct 6, 2020.

1. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

in case you forgot...:red:

2. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Fair enough.

However.....

American_Gooner likes this.
  3. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief Trusted

He really did have that near post finish down pat

Wouldn't want him back at all but he was decent for us

Riou and Tir Na Nog like this.
  4. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Big G was decent for the fee we paid i mean what did you expect to get when you pay 12M for a striker? i think he did a good job but players like Alexis Özil deserved much better striker around them.

asukru likes this.
  5. Red London

Red London Anti-Simp Culture Trusted

Giroud summed up the way Arsenal have behaved since the Emirates era and the way some fans have responded to that.

At £12m he was a good signing, it was good business. The issue is of course he shouldnt have been our main striker signing. A club with ambition would have had him as a plan b rotational player, someone who is backup to a more prolific player. Giroud gave us some good football and also some quite bad football. Overall he was a decent to good player and would have been a fantastic squad option given his strengths. Being scapegoated for our troubles was ignoring the real dynamics and facts of the matter.

This club is so reactionary, instead of being pro-active and understanding before even signing him (or after a year or two) that he isnt good enough to start, they waited even longer and then just panic bought. We signed Laca and Auba for over £100m even though we only needed the one. Why didnt we pay the extra money for Auba in the first place instead of having to learn the hard way we need him? It's just all an absolute mess and terrible squad planning. This combo wasnt balanced and we could have signed a younger more technical winger with the money we signed Laca for, or a midfielder.

In my opinion we ****ed up again by not letting Laca leave last summer for a cut price deal and replacing him. I hope it was because of covid and we sell him next summer. I'll take 10m for him to get him off our books. If we ask for too much some clubs are just going to wait it out and sign him next summer, and then you have another player just sitting on his arse because its financially viable for them. The more I think about it the more I realise thats the most likely outcome of this. We've seen it with Mustafi, Özil, Sokratis. They earn a lot of money here anyway so they might as well collect that and leave on a bosman, getting them even more money.

6. American_Gooner

Seemed like he was nailed on for Real Madrid next summer, might still be tbf but it'll be an even bigger fee now

7. American_Gooner

8. El Duderino

El Duderino 99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One Trusted

That's actually an upgrade...

Flying Okapis likes this.
  9. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Most Well-Known Member

Bernardo Silva?

10. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

Carassco and Martial have had solid careers since leaving Monaco as well. In fairness, that was quite some team.

11. Juan Matas Beard

Juan Matas Beard Friendly Mancunian facial hair

Martial was two seasons earlier than that "golden team." He left at the end of 14/15. He has never played a senior game with Mbappé at club level.

The side that won the Ligue 1 and Semi Finalists in the Champions League was in the season of 16/17.

Macho and truth_hurts like this.
  12. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Most Well-Known Member

Carrasco is still pretty young too, he would be looked upon more fondly if he didnt find himself in China for two years.

13. American_Gooner

14. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Meme Merchant

Still a better investment than washed up Messi ngl

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Leave Mikel Alone!!

FFS.

16. Red London

I geniunely don't get why these players sign these contracts?? What use is it to Grealish to agree to that £100m release clause.. it just means its more difficult for him to leave especially given the contract length.

There's no way Villa are paying him enough to make it worthwhile, and even if they did he could earn more at a club quicker without such a lengthy contract.

We saw this with Zaha, he secured the bag short term but now he's stuck there- Palace just abused the fact he signed a contract and used it against him in the name of making as much money as possible- which all businesses are gonna do.

Macho and American_Gooner like this.
  17. American_Gooner

18. FinnGooner

FinnGooner Well-Known Member

How is it more difficult to leave with a release clause than without one? Given the market, I think that's pretty good release clause from Grealish's point of view. He knows there is legit interest for him from clubs like ManC & ManU for whom the £100m is perfectly doable

19. Red London

I went onto explain that the 100m thing is pointless and at the end of the day villa have all the power in this situation, unless someone pays a ****load of money for him.

20. FinnGooner

FinnGooner Well-Known Member

But wouldn't Villa have even more power without that clause?