• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Not enough credit for the shadown men in Wenger's regime

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 785
A

Anonymous

I was thinking about Wenger's achievement's at Arsenal, Japan and in France, specifically about the his seemingly unnatural ability to unearth talent from all corners of the world and then developing them into world class players. At the end of this analysis, I then caught myself thinking, "WOW, Wenger is a God!", but then, I stopped myself short.

Let's think of the logistics here: What kind of networking structure must be involved in searching the planet for talent? Plucking Toure and Weah from west Africa, Silvinho, Edu, Gilberto from Brazil, Overmars, RVP from the Netherlands, Cesc, Reyes from Spain, Vieira, Petit, etc from France, Senderos from Switzerland, etc etc the list goes on... This is not the work of one man. The development of the team-- the mundane tasks of actual practise and motivation, sitting in the scorching sun whilst watching pathetic games for the one player who might be a gem, etc etc... These are the works of scouts and trainers. Wenger has pretty much stayed with the same core of men who help in his vision.

I think that too far often we throw adulationa and credit at those on top-- look at politics for instance, and forget the middle men, or more to the point, the LITTLE men. Wenger is a great man with vision, but this cannot be implemented unless he has it has equally brilliant and dedicated professions sharing his vision and able to capture this vision.

Thus, I suggest that we all make an effort in thanking the shadow men who really make this Arsenal train work. I understand that being the leader, Wenger will inevitably get all the aclaim from the press and so forth, but we are Arsenal fans, we are gooners, we are dedicated to the course of Arsenal. These men must get the credit they deserve from us, if noone else outside the organization is willing to praise them.

Arnie

Great post there Kwame. Every word of that is true. Those scouts are one committed bunch!! They are the best in the world at their job!!!!!!!!

Sigun

yeah...I remeber reading an article about Boro Primarac being Wengers righthand man when it comes to spotting players ability and potential.

MightyArsenal

Yea credit is due for finding players like gael clichy and toure. But for most of the others I think I could have done as good a job, ive known reyes,pires and henry were the dogs bollocks long before they were household names. As well as others.

Split

Steve Rowley, the chief scout, has been at Arsenal for donkeys years, long before Wenger arrived. He scouted Rocky Rocastle for example.

Ally

Superb post, agree with every word and for similar reasons I always have fringe players as my favourite player - people who never get the credit but provide the depth and talent that often goes unnoticed to make the whole operation tick.

Alright, alright, Jeffers was a mistake, but Mad Jens is the dogs bollocks. ;D

johe

Remember that although scouts do alot of the work for Wenger, he watches football from all corners of the world, and he sees the players that are promising. The work the scouts do is most likely watching some games with a player that looks promising, alerting Wenger about him, so that he can watch him on tape.

It seems that some of the French managers have alot of connections in France, especially Wenger and Houllier. Wenger also has connections working within Belgian and African football, and gets alot of knowledge from there through them.

Still, hail the scouts, the do a bloody good job.

:wink:

Bouchra

Split said:
Steve Rowley, the chief scout, has been at Arsenal for donkeys years, long before Wenger arrived. He scouted Rocky Rocastle for example.

I love him :lol: , he also scouted RvP

Soler

Established Member
Ally said:
Alright, alright, Jeffers was a mistake, but Mad Jens is the dogs bollocks. ;D

If the highlander's going to be right about something, it's this. :D

calvinngai88

Hey hey, great post! Hail the scouts, but let's not forget there are also physios out there in and out, nursing the players' injuries day after day. Especially, chief physio Gary Lewin, also the physio for England and his brother, Colin Lewin. ;D

A

Anonymous

Hail the scouts, but let's not forget there are also physios

Yes, yes, the physios are absolutely essential! The whole setup at Arsenal is quite simply immaculate. I always thought that perhaps the NFL was the most adept league in terms of manipulating diet and ensuring their players are of the highest physical condition possible by taking care of diet, etc etc..But I think at Arsenal, Wenger and co. have quite possibly established the foundations for a revolution in how players take care of their bodies in the EPL. aka no more boozing up and drinking up the night before games, etc

arghhhh

Kwame said:
I was thinking about Wenger's achievement's at Arsenal, Japan and in France, specifically about the his seemingly unnatural ability to unearth talent from all corners of the world and then developing them into world class players. At the end of this analysis, I then caught myself thinking, "WOW, Wenger is a God!", but then, I stopped myself short.

Let's think of the logistics here: What kind of networking structure must be involved in searching the planet for talent? Plucking Toure and Weah from west Africa, Silvinho, Edu, Gilberto from Brazil, Overmars, RVP from the Netherlands, Cesc, Reyes from Spain, Vieira, Petit, etc from France, Senderos from Switzerland, etc etc the list goes on... This is not the work of one man. The development of the team-- the mundane tasks of actual practise and motivation, sitting in the scorching sun whilst watching pathetic games for the one player who might be a gem, etc etc... These are the works of scouts and trainers. Wenger has pretty much stayed with the same core of men who help in his vision.

I think that too far often we throw adulationa and credit at those on top-- look at politics for instance, and forget the middle men, or more to the point, the LITTLE men. Wenger is a great man with vision, but this cannot be implemented unless he has it has equally brilliant and dedicated professions sharing his vision and able to capture this vision.

Thus, I suggest that we all make an effort in thanking the shadow men who really make this Arsenal train work. I understand that being the leader, Wenger will inevitably get all the aclaim from the press and so forth, but we are Arsenal fans, we are gooners, we are dedicated to the course of Arsenal. These men must get the credit they deserve from us, if noone else outside the organization is willing to praise them.

well said . I remember that Toure was used to play under wenger's friend , correct me if i was wrong

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom